How long before break in metal is gone from oil changes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How long before break in metal is gone from oil changes?

I split my filter after 500 miles and noticed small goldish speckles in the filter media. These were non magnetic and so tiny I wrote them off as break in material. Changed oil again at 1500 miles and I still have the same speckling in the media. I'll get a picture up tonight. Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiance or if I should be concerned.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There may be reason to be concerned. Gold colored flecks usually means bearing material and the only place the gold metal is exposed w/o having plating or layering of a different material covering over it is at the thrust bearing faces. In any event, some amount of accelerated wear has to have occurred to any gold colored bearing material in the oil.

If the engine had previously had terminal bearing wear or failure- like spun bearings, etc.- you could be seeing the remnants from what wasn't cleaned out the first time. This will depend on how well the block was cleaned- the cam bearings removed along w/ALL the oil passage plugs, then all the passages being scrubbed clean is the only way to get all of the debris out of the engine after a catastrophic bearing failure.

Besides the usual journal wear, there can be several ways to have bearing material in the oil, like the bearing inserts being too wide for the fillet, not enough crank end play, that sort of thing. Obviously a brass distributor gear will quickly load the oil w/metal, especially at first.

Generally speaking, I do not want to see anything in the oil that can be felt between my fingers as grit, you can expect to see the oil have a "metallic paint" appearance.

What concerns me most, is seeing the same type particles two times now, you'd have thought it would have been in the first filter, but not after that.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Good Info Cobalt ^^^.

ForceFed, what Trans are you running? 2004R or TH400? The TH400s have a habit of eating the Crank Thrust bearings.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
There may be reason to be concerned. Gold colored flecks usually means bearing material and the only place the gold metal is exposed w/o having plating or layering of a different material covering over it is at the thrust bearing faces. In any event, some amount of accelerated wear has to have occurred to any gold colored bearing material in the oil.

If the engine had previously had terminal bearing wear or failure- like spun bearings, etc.- you could be seeing the remnants from what wasn't cleaned out the first time. This will depend on how well the block was cleaned- the cam bearings removed along w/ALL the oil passage plugs, then all the passages being scrubbed clean is the only way to get all of the debris out of the engine after a catastrophic bearing failure.

Besides the usual journal wear, there can be several ways to have bearing material in the oil, like the bearing inserts being too wide for the fillet, not enough crank end play, that sort of thing. Obviously a brass distributor gear will quickly load the oil w/metal, especially at first.

Generally speaking, I do not want to see anything in the oil that can be felt between my fingers as grit, you can expect to see the oil have a "metallic paint" appearance.

What concerns me most, is seeing the same type particles two times now, you'd have thought it would have been in the first filter, but not after that.

Running a crank pickup ign so it's not the distributor gear. I should have been a bit more descriptive. It's a dual OHC engine with roller cams. It did have bearing failure in it's previous life, although I did my best to clean it out. It was not hot tanked. Transmission is a manual.

The oil itself looks like honey, no signs of the metal in the oil itself (that I could tell anyway) This material I'm speaking of was from when I split the filter. None of it large enough to be gritty or felt between the fingers. I don't like the looks of it though. Probably end up pulling a few caps and checking it out.

Thanks all.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

I was thinking this was your GN.
Which car is this?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Actually this is just my little 4 banger daily driver.

Just trapped 119 in the 1/4 with it the other weekend. Suprised the hell outa me. But now I'm a little worried.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.