Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   how long before clearing over 1-shot pinstriping (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-long-before-clearing-over-1-shot-pinstriping-62462.html)

rsss396 05-09-2005 10:59 AM

how long before clearing over 1-shot pinstriping

I have started pinstripping my fenders with 1-shot paint with hardner added to it.
How long before I can shot polyurethane clear over it?
Thanks Dave

BondoKing 05-09-2005 11:04 AM

Whats one shot paint?

BK

rsss396 05-09-2005 11:14 AM

enamel lettering paint that drys slowly, alot thicker mix out of the can than automotive.

BondoKing 05-09-2005 11:53 AM

Is this old paint on the fenders, new, or an intercoat clear?
Are you applying it over base? if so you usually have a 24 hour window b4 you have to scuff again,unless you are using an intercoat clear which has a 12 hour window. If applying over existing clear that is scuffed and ready stripe today and clear tomorrow since you added a hardner. I dont see any problems with that.... You dont have to wait that long though, a few hours would be fine as far as I know... may want to wait for one of the "Pro's" and we will both be sure :cool:

BK

rsss396 05-09-2005 04:50 PM

this is over new polyurethane clear that has been scuffed.
I had someone say to intercoat clear the enamel before the polyurethane to help prevent problems.

Thanks Dave

mrcleanr6 05-09-2005 08:14 PM

you dont need to intercoat clear the one shot. if the one shot was to wrinkle the intercoat will do it before a poly clear will, its more harsh due to the reducer solvents. just clear over it as you would anything else. as for dry times, one shot is an old school oil base paint and takes a while to dry. its good that you put the cat in it, thats the right thing to do. alot of people arent aware of that trick. time really depends on temp and how heavy its applied. i have cleared over it in as little as 8 hours. if you put it on heavy or its cool then it could take 24 or even 48. let it set for a min of 8 then give it a touch with your finger. you'll be able to tell if its ready. if you hold you finger on it for a few seconds and it leaves your print in the stripe then wait longer.

jalopy45 05-09-2005 08:50 PM

:pimp: One shot gets rid of about 75% of the thinners in it in the first 4 hrs. at room temperature. The remainder takes 2 days to lose another 20% and if clear coat too soon you'll have color bleeding into the clear and it makes for a foggy line.So 2 days min. and 4 would be better

rsss396 05-09-2005 09:02 PM

thanks everyone,
I will play it safe and wait a couple days.

Dave

Bee4Me 05-10-2005 06:59 AM

Next time go with HOK's striping paint. That stuff dries TOO fast.
An enamel takes several days to dry and it will wrinkle as well as bleed if it's too wet. I detailed some Holley valve covers once and after 2 days cleared them and got a cheap version of wrinkle paint on a few letters. :(

BondoKing 05-10-2005 01:40 PM

Well I told you RSS the pro's would let us both know for sure. I am glad you waited to see, and we both learned something!! Cool :thumbup:

BK

rsss396 05-10-2005 11:02 PM

decided to save the 1shot for a non clear job and will use HOK instead,
the little sanding now may save alot of sanding later
thanks alot everyone again
Dave

Fat Freddy 02-01-2006 08:16 AM

fat freddy

If you call ONE SHOT, they will send you a neat little spec book.
it will tell you that one shot will take up to 6 weeks to completely cure,
YEP ! because it is a real enamal it dries on the outside first, and will stay wet inside for a hella long time.
THAt is why it is recomended that if you are gonna clear over it, that us should and actually MUST use the catylist that is used for what ever clear your using. in your one shot when you mix it up.
Do this in very timy amounts in yer trusty paper cup.
then throw that paint away .. DO NOT put it back in your rusty can of one shot. NOW For you folkks who have already done that "WICKED PISSSA " pinstrippin' and didn't know this.
well there is a remedy.
Wehn you realise that you just have to clear yer one shot.
do it in very very light dust coats. and allow plenty of FLASH time between coast. tghis will allow the catylist in that clear to "CALL OUT" sort to speak, the wonderfull stuff that ONS SHOT IS made of.
and you still may get problems.
but i have done this a few times. cause some IDIOT wanted his art cleared a while after he wanted it stripped...
BUT LOOK AT THIS !!!
ONE SHOT dries very bright and hard and shinny.so what do you want to clear over it for any way? and if your planning on doing art and clearing over it most of the time then switch to house of color urethane stripping paints. and add that catylist all ya want...
i'm sort of WHAT SKOOL ?
so i use good ol' one shot and let it go. its bullet proof.

rusty428cj 02-01-2006 03:12 PM

The lettering on my race car was done with 1 shot next day I cleared with SPI 3000 with no problems.

shine 02-01-2006 03:25 PM

i use dt reducer when i want to clear over it. hk is a better choice for clearing but you cant beat 1shot for stripping.

Fat Freddy 02-02-2006 05:05 PM

fat freddy

Yea DADDDY -O- nuthin' makes a day go by faster than gettin' out that sticky stuff and dippin'ma trustie mack daddy in some one shot.....