How long does a wet magnaflux usually take? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How long does a wet magnaflux usually take?

Exactly as the title says. I have a crank at the shop that I took in Saturday to get wet-magged as well as balanced (pending that it didn't come back cracked). He said he would look at either Monday/Tuesday and get back with me. He never called. Now, I have no idea how the process goes, but it's now Thursday and he still has yet to come to any final conclusions as to the status of my crank. Now, I can understand that you can get busy, but how long does the actual process take? More than a day?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

About 15 mins.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM
More for Less Racer

Bob's got it. I was going to say 20 minutes.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Those before me here have it corect. Once the cranks are cleaned and lined up it takes a matter of minutes.

Are you sure this guy actually has a Magnaflux machine? Or, a magnetic particle inspection machine. Ask to see it. If he says he's doing it with spray cans, get your crank and leave.

Maybe he sends them out or waits until he has several to do.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rotor Flap
Those before me here have it corect. Once the cranks are cleaned and lined up it takes a matter of minutes.

Are you sure this guy actually has a Magnaflux machine? Or, a magnetic particle inspection machine. Ask to see it. If he says he's doing it with spray cans, get your crank and leave.

Maybe he sends them out or waits until he has several to do.
I'm fairly certain he has a Magnaflux. He mentioned that he 'loaded the liquid..' and something else to the affect that it was cost efficient to do it this way, something or rather. I doubt he's doing it by can.

Managed to get him on the phone earlier today. Said he did it once, but it wasn't definitive, and that a film of oil/humidity (both present) could cause bad results. he said there was a 'suspicious' spot under the snout and near the middle of the crank. I'm hoping that's the case, but 4, going on 5 days seems a tad much.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Oil and humidity? Oil means he didn't clean the crank properly. Humidity? The magnaflux solution is water based, looks like milk. The solution could be poured over the crank from a water glass, but has a low volume pump and nozzle to wash the solution over the crank journals. You're getting a run around.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Yea, thought so. He kept saying he'd call me, but never did. I called him today, he said the magnaflux came back OK and the crank wasn't cracked. I don't think he washed it the first time either. This will probably be the last time I use him. He said he's going to have balancing done by Monday. We'll see if he sticks to that..

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Make sure he gives you a certification that the crank was magnafluxed AND found not to be cracked!

I see this a bit here and there. People saying such and such was magnafluxed. Yeah? and what? Was it cracked? Was it magnafluxed and found to be cracked and your selling it because it was cracked? Just saying it was magnafluxed doesn't mean it passed the test.

Items that passed magnafluxing should have (at the miminm) a magnaflux brand name sticker saying "passed inspection" on the part as well as written documentation supporting the sticker and referencing the particular part. You should have an identifying number or your initials engraved or stamped on the part. It sure works well that way on aircraft parts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.