Hot Rod Forum banner

how long to finish ?

15K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  shine 
#1 ·
just a question for the stitchers here. 37 ford coupe. buckets , side panels, carpet and trunk . no headliner . how long would this take ?

#3 ·
car has been in shop since nov. car owner is going out of state next week but when he comes back we are taking the trailer and going to pick it up. went by yesterday and all the materials and such were inside the car . noticed another job in the works. i am so frigging tired of excuses from morons who can not run their business. this is one of those shops that lives off deposits.
my last sedan was done in about 6 weeks complete. but that shop went to hell. i am not out of options . i've run out of shops to try. :mad:

thanks dan

#4 ·
If he couldn't start your project exactly on time because the work he was doing ahead of yours took longer than he expected, that's one thing, that happens in all businesses. He shouldn't have had the car for 6 months without at least starting it.

#5 ·
he picked up the seats in oct , said they would be done in a couple of weeks. took him the car in nov. he had it 3 months and did very little . then he had health problems , then this or that. but seeing a new job there tore down and ours setting aside full of stuff just did it for me. he's broke, cant pay for his lifestyle and chasing deposits. happens in bodyshops all the time. they get half down then spend it and have a full job to do for half the pay. when they run out of room they are done.

#6 ·
legal deposit limit.

I had a building contractors license in Calif and there was a legal limit on how much deposit money you could collect. I worked for one guy that would take his left over materials to a new job and collect a materials delivery charge from the unknowing home owner. AND HE FINally went broke. I know one guy that teaches Auto at the college and also works out of his farm shop. He collects the first month's space rental then every week e mails picts of the work he has done and sends the bill. If there is no payment the space rental applies and the lein procedure starts after 30 days. . the guys that want a big deposit are usually going to rip you off.

#7 ·
well after 8 months i went and picked up the 37. not finished and looks like sh&it . this lying sob should be run out of business and i think that is exactly what is going to happen. the owner is going to sue the clown to the stone age. i have never heard so many sob stories and excuses in my life . the only excuse would be i died.
i'll post some pics later.

#11 ·
it is no way acceptable to me. we are taking it to another shop to be redone. documenting it all and will sue the guy to pay for redoing it. he wasted 2 hides . he threw stuff together each time we came to make it look like he was working on it.
he had the car since nov . i've never been vindictive when it came to a mans livelihood but the clown needs to be run out of business .
the door panels were suppose to have a reverse mustang design to match the seats. i even drew it out for him .he ran out of swede so he just used carpet instead of buying more.

#13 ·
dan , do you think the seats can be saved or will have to be redone ? the wrinkles just wont cut it.

also is it possible to remove the leather that has been glued down .

#14 ·
....nothing that a heat gun can't take out!

If that don't work, put it in a nice pile, pour gas on and burn it. Where have all the craftsmen gone? Can't get a paint job done either. If the job doesn't turn out, they say, 'well I'm only charging you $5000', and if it does turn out, they up the price a grand or two. Where's the justice???

#15 ·
shine said:
dan , do you think the seats can be saved or will have to be redone ? the wrinkles just wont cut it.

also is it possible to remove the leather that has been glued down .
No, I don't think they can be saved, at least not the way they are now. I'm sure they could be better, but not like they should be. If the leather that's glued down now is glued down with contact adhesive, it's going to have to be replaced also I'm afraid. Regular leather maybe, but suede is a whole different animal. I think the next guy is pretty much going to have to start over.

Note to alittle1: I assume that was a joke on your part. You never use a heat gun on real leather, especially suede.

#16 ·
there's some leather on the door panels . he used leather and vinyl on them. color doesn't match well enough. plus it was not suppose to have all that carpet on it.
i guess the only right way to do it is find a decent stitcher and just start over. of the last 4 cars i had done i got screwed on all but one. just really getting tired of excuses to why it does not get done.

thanks dan

#18 ·
well the 37 is at the stitchers shop . being redone. will save the trunk but he said the rest was garbage and he would not even try to save the seats. they were cut and sewn wrong in the first place . don't blame him one bit. gave a solid price and delivery date. i may let him do the 56 210 depending on the outcome . the other shop has a rude awakening coming as he will get the bill for it.

#20 ·
he is aware of what is going on. if he wants to join the law suit then so be it :) plus he was told the first sign of the job being shoved aside we will come get the car. i will not tolerate that. i don't do it in my shop and don't intend to be done that way. there is no excuse for it. if you cant do the job don't take it . there will also be no up front money .

#21 ·
well edward dropped of the 37 yesterday. he's happy do i'm happy.
discovered the remote system did not work when we picked it up from granbury. just more work created. i will have to trace all the wiring to find what's up. lot of fun stuffing 6'6 250 under that dash..... :(

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.