How long should new concrete cure before painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 07:01 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How long should new concrete cure before painting

I've just built a new garage and wondering how long to cure the floor before applying enamel epoxy paint. I used a poly vapor barrier under the 4" slab so I'm guessing that will add to the cure time.

Also, I saw this question asked on a prior thread but never answered...has anyone been successful using a simple/inexpensive vinyl (like a kitchen vinyl) on a garage floor?

Dewey

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Well, several avenues you can investigate. First indicator is that building contractors are slapping down floor finishes in new homes and commercial construction within a month of pouring the slab. Cement has totally cured to maximum strength in 28 days. Vapor barrier has no impact on cure time as long as there is adequate water to cause hydration - it is a chemical reaction that requires water, not a drying process. my educated guess is that as long as there is no evidence of standing water or water staining on the surface (looks dry), it will accept the finish fine. Look on the directions that come with the product, or better yet, call their customer service department if all else fails! Yes, industrial tile is a great finish for a shop floor; clean, relatively long lasting, easy to do spot repairs, and good looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2004, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
Yes, industrial tile is a great finish for a shop floor; clean, relatively long lasting, easy to do spot repairs, and good looking.
How about sheet vinyl? Sure would go down quicker.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by cboy
How about sheet vinyl? Sure would go down quicker.
yeabut . . . what happens when, not if, you hit a spot with the torch while taking a swig on your long neck and disintegrate a fist sized hole in the flooring not to mention exposing your lungs to the wondrous gasses from burned polyvinyl. W/ tiles just replace the slacker - w/ sheet flooring you are up a creek! Plus w/ tiles you can do it in 12" B&W checkerboard which is nifty!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm, that brings up a point - won't even the industrial tiles get pitted my flying hot slag? My welding skills usually put more metal on the floor than on the joint.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A definite drawback that must be accommodated.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

One thing to remember with tile is that once it is put down you are going to have permanent glue underneath so if you have to replace you will have to remove the old residue. At least with an epoxy paint it can be renewed at anytime. If you are going to be doing a lot of welding, spilling, etc. I would leave the concrete as is and just coat with a good sealer. At work we use a product called Stonecoat. It is a clear coating that goes over concrete and leaves a shine that oil, etc does not bother. 5 gal. cost approx $125 but did an area about 3 times the average garage. You could probably get by with 2 gal. This is also the same stuff that landscapers use to coat outdoor tiles. We purchased it from Grainger but for some reason I cannot access their site at the moment.

Kevin
Old 06-25-2004, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Kevin,

The garage is 28 X 48 so I'd guess 5 gal would be appropriate. Two questions, 1) does the Stonecoat provide enough of a smooth surface to allow easy sweeping of dust and 2) how often do you figure you need to reseal it? The finished concrete in the garage looks pretty good right now without painting...except where our dog decided to put a couple strategic paw prints.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:53 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

CBoy....the Stonecoat leave a shiny smooth finish that makes sweeping out a breeze. In my department we have a lot of metal chips, metal dust, are constantly sweeping metal across the floor and the stone coat last between 6-12 months in certain areas and way longer in other areas. You put it on with a mop (it looks like milk when you pour it into a bucket) and it takes about two hours to dry. What it kind of reminds me of is some type of plasticized coating as when it is in the bucket and will start drying around the rim is what it looks like but will break down with water until fully cured. An 28' x 48' area would take less than 5 gals. but if you bought 5 you could always apply a heavier coating or reapply after a few hours to build it up. I'm not one that like the looks of bare concrete but I like this stuff. It gives a real high gloss to the floor. I would be cautious though with wet feet as it would tend to be slick but no more than tile would be. If I could get into Graingers website I would link you to it but I'm not quite sure of the spelling. I don't know whether it is Stone-Coat or Stonecoat. I guess I can look at work Monday and let you know for sure or if you can get into Graingers website you can read about it. For some reason their site says it does not support my browser yet we have IE at work also. Oh well!!

Okay...I found some info. Here is the Safety data sheet as to what it consist of http://www.coastwidelabs.com/Product...20MSDS5900.PDF

And I found this http://www.coastwidelabs.com/Products/stoncoat.htm

Here is a PDF although I don't know if it will link thru. http://www.coastwidelabs.com/product...it/PLS5900.pdf

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 06-26-2004 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:55 AM

Last photo:

Concrete takes 28 days to reach it's RATED strength,ie: 3000# concrete will withstand 3000psi compressive force without crushing at 28 days. Concrete continues to cure after the 28 day period to some extent. The company I worked for built a parts dept for a Ford dealership a few years back, and waited the 28 days before painting the floors Ford blue to mactch the blue parts racks that were also installed.......3 days later the paint was lifting in big sheets! Had to chemically strip the floor and repaint a month later.
Try placing a 3'X3' piece of clear polyethelyne sheeting on the floor and duct tape the edges to seal it , wait a day or two and remove it. If the floor is damp where the poly was, there is still moisture present in the concrete.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

Kevin,

I was able to hook into your links just fine. Thanks for taking the time to dig them up.

And thanks for the curing info, BT74. And the spot testing method. If I go the epoxy route I think I'll wait a couple more weeks. But since that Stone Coat appears to be a water base I would think it could be applied immediately.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:10 PM

Everything that I have read says 90 days but look on the can of the product that you wish to use and it will tell you.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:47 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

cement masonry instructor says 14-21 days. and you can test it to make sure there is no moisture in it by taping down a 2ft square of bisqueen onto the floor and waiting 12 hours. if there is condensation on the bisqueen then you have to wait longer. if there isnt you can paint.

btw to paint a floor all you need is to cut in the edges with a brush then throw your paint on the floor straight out of the bucket and roll it out. easiest thing to paint on the planet. painted a bunch of boiler rooms for one co. just make sure you start in the corner/wall OPPOSITE the door
Old 06-29-2004, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by bullheimer just make sure you start in the corner/wall OPPOSITE the door
I'm printing out that piece of advice in BIG RED LETTERS and taping it right on the paint can.

Dewey
Old 06-30-2004, 06:59 AM

HONEY!!!! I'm gonna be a little late for bed tonight

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.