How long will it take to build a custom car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How long will it take to build a custom car

Hey, I'm building a car as a school project and everybody is doubting that i can do it. Can anybody help me with an idea of how long it will take, and what materials I will be required to use. I mean I have an internship with building custom cars and my mentor says the 2 year goal I have is a good honest goal. Keep in mind that this car will not be very complex and anything like modern vehicles In the sense that it won't have power windows, or windshield wipers or airbags or anything else that is considered too modern. And by custom car I mean something along the lines of Ed Roths mysterion or the munsters coach.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

In many cases it boils down to how much money you have to spend. It's pretty easy to lay down a Benjamin for a small bag of parts at the store. It doesn't go far these days.

I think your two year goal is very optimistic. Especially if it is your first car. I hope the best for you in your endeavor.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Sit down and write out the plan for the build. Submit it to this group of motorheads here on this board. You can whiz through a build in a matter of weeks if you have it all laid out, ready to assemble. Or, you can take half a lifetime like some of us do.

Thing is, between all of us on this board, there are many thousands of years of experience in all areas of car building. Tell us what you want to do....specifically.....and we'll either help you get there or shoot your idea full of holes.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

2 Years 10 Guys And $100,000 . Ed Roth did everything !! Can you do this. He also had the Knowledge!! That is Priceless!!! also George Barris built the Munsters Coach. They are two Totally different Builds!! Let alone Two Different Minds That could do it all by them self !!

Let's start with what you have now to work with!! Frame , Motor, Trans ,Body ETC!!

Last edited by killeratrod; 04-18-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
2 Years 10 Guys And $100,000 . Ed Roth did everything !! Can you do this. He also had the Knowledge!! That is Priceless!!! also George Barris built the Munsters Coach
Or....make up some sob story, Chip Foose will steal it, Overhaul it, all in a week or so.........

Budget RVs
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
killeratrod (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Or....make up some sob story, Chip Foose will steal it, Overhaul it, all in a week or so.........
I Think it is all Planned from 6 months before it is taken. They send the owner a case of WD-40 and have him start spraying everything.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 AM

I know the munsters coach was built by barris. But I was just comparing both sides of the custom car world. As far as skills go I am learning how to weld, fiberglass, and fabricate all at my internship I have. I have years of knowledge with engines. The planning for it is what I'm working on now. I'm planning to get the frame materials here in a month or so.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

info

there was info here a couple weeks ago about building a custon glass body. A friend worked a while for a guy in L A that was doing V8 corvairs with custon glass bodies/ They would remove a lot of the stock sheet metal outer skin, leaving the door frame, hinge posts etc and create a new Skin. A lot less work than build in a total car from scratch.
Scratch Built Cars...(Home Made Rods)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:06 AM

With the body I was going to start of with a vw bug and work my way into something cooler. Not saying bugs aren't cool.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

A friend of mine just finished a custom, that took between 3 and four years. This guy is not a first time builder, as he built concept cars in Detroit For many years.

He did the drawings of the car, starting with a small scale and working up to a full scale to see if everything would work.

He started with a 55 chevy and started building. Now I will say this guy is a whiz with metal work. He cut the car behind the front seat shorten it up and put a 59 chevy rear on it, he rounded the wings on it made them a little thicker.

What he was trying to get done was do things like all the great builders did. It is a two seat roadster With half open wheels, by that I mean the 59 fins are the top part of the rear fenders but it is opened to the rear, The front fenders are open on the top so the tire sits above it a little. The hood slopes to the front so the 2-4's come through the hood, it has side pipes, and a chrome bar with a knurled piece from the quarter panel through the door. The car is just neat.

I think the car takes about everything in that you would look for in a custom car, the old, the present, and the future.

He was going to bring it out at Starbirds show But didn't get it done. So he put it in the biggest indoor show in MN. Gopher state timing assoc. a show where many new built cars are brought out. he won 5 trophies one best of show.

For some reason this little town in MN. has many builders that do everything by themselves and build some bad cars. Another guy in our club won M.S.R.A. Street Rod of the year, all home built.

So hey you can build a custom in two years if you don't get into too big of projects, even the pro's can take awhile to get them done. The guy that built the custom can knock out a car in 6 months easy but this one he wanted just right.

Bye the way his car is a driver, not a trailer queen. He has a 33 Ford roadster he built out of pieces and it is to die for.

Bob
Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Take a look at this thread and you can get your own opinion on how long it will take.

It's not finished but you can see the chassis and body being built.

Building A Homemade C-cab !!!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM

design exercise

My son's buddy from high school graduated from college in design, now asking when we are going to build one
Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM

I'll try again

some of his college projects some in clay others in fiberglass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01889.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	139850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01890.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	139858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rendering2-5-20-05.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	139866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rendering3-5-20-05.jpg.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	139874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rendering4-5-20-05.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	139882  

Old 04-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
some of his college projects some in clay others in fiberglass
I really like the thin body open wheel car. You could do that one in the style of a fighter aircraft, with the driver/passenger fore and aft. Use an engine/transaxle from any front-wheel-drive car and mount it to power the rear wheels. I might be thinkin' a Geo Metro driveline. 1000 cc's of rompin', stompin' hell. ,
Old 04-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I really like the thin body open wheel car. You could do that one in the style of a fighter aircraft, with the driver/passenger fore and aft. Use an engine/transaxle from any front-wheel-drive car and mount it to power the rear wheels. I might be thinkin' a Geo Metro driveline. 1000 cc's of rompin', stompin' hell. ,
See i was thinking along the same lines But with a YUGO drive train. Cheap parts & YU can GO from point A to B with very little fuel

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.