Hot Rod Forum banner

how to lower a blazer?

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  notlegalchevyguy 
#1 ·
What is the easyest way to lower my early 80's blazer without dumpin' my wallet?

#7 ·
poncho62 said:
Trade it for a 2 wheel drive...you will have a tough time lowering a 4x4.
Frame horns are way different
There is no provision for a K-member in the 4x4 frame, nor is there provisions for the upper control arms----shock mounts are different.

Also---all body mounts should be different than the 2x frame

Acquiring a 2 wheel Blazer would be in your best interest------but if it is a very sound body----a frame swap with a 2 wheel frame should not be that difficult.

There are springs and spindles available for a front drop
2-1/2 spindle
1-1/2 spring 4" total

2" Rear spring shackles
4" rear shackles and front hangars
6" relocate axel to top of springs requires a c-notch in the frame

Bryan

#10 ·
You can get rid of the 4x4 stuff and sell it to pay for either a frame clip or whole frame. With the front clip off a two wheel drive (get one from a long bed because they are the most common) you do the dropped spindles and springs and also Z the frame. You'll be about 6 to 7 inches lower than a stock two wheel drive truck. If you cant weld or dont have the time or space get a two wheel drive and send me your 4x4.

#11 ·
I did some research and the 73-87 GM trucks share a similar frame between the two and four wheel drives. I know the front crossmember bolts in from under the truck. It has the provisions for your control arms (upper and lower). I think you may have to drill a couple of holes but is supposed to be an easy swap. I just spent a lot of time under my 84 so if you've questions about the crossmember let me know.

#12 ·
I had a 78 4x4, and have a 79 2-wheeler since new.

Might want to check out compatabily real close---I thought there were differences, but never did crawl under em with a tape to check.

Front K-memeber is bolted in-----very tightly

Poncho-----floor pan issues will only be a problem going from a 2x4 to a 4x4---I knew of that one as well. Still have no idea why GM did that, differences are under the seat, and the 4x4 trucks all had the 4-speed floors.
GM used separate floors for----2wd auto, 2wd & 4wd auto, 4wd 4-spd

Bryan

#14 ·
It will be a whole lot cheaper in the end to just skip the 4 wheel drive one and look for and buy a two wheel drive. It will be cheaper in the end...it will save a whole lot of work and problems, and it will just be better. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. :)

#15 ·
notlegalchevyguy said:
how much of a problem is the floor pan issue, would i be able to just replace a section of the pan with new inserts or would it require a lot of work?
Going to a 2 wheel-----will not be an issue at all

Henry and Poncho are right tho----might be better off locating a 2-wheeler

But being way up in the NE, might be a problem

Calif. & Ariz are full of em

Bryan

#17 ·
i've been trying to find one but every one i find is rotted to nothing or the owner wont trade it or sell if for one reason or another...i dont wanna have to buy one for more than 1000 because i paid 500 for mine and its almost pristine, i might be able to get a front clip from my local junk yard for next to nothing because i kno everyone there and they are friends of the family and stuff so thats what ive been leaning towards ever since you guys told me it would be easyer to use a 2 wheel drive...but anyway...would it be much trouble to put a tubular frame on it from Chassis Works or a 2x4 frame with all the parts from there?

-Mark

#19 ·
poncho, i was over looking a discussion about lowering a 50's pick up and you were talking about putting the axle on top of the leaf springs. i was wondering if it would work for my blazer until i get the front clip or new truck or what ever happens, or are the axles already on top of the springs. if they are then would blocking them work or is there not enough clearence?

-Mark

#20 ·
You wouldn't have enough clearance................

Want my opinion of this whole thing? Of course, you don't, but here goes anyways. I see this all the time. Young guy has a vehicle and he likes certain look. Just because you have that vehicle, it just sometimes doesn't make sense to go with a certain look, because that vehicle is just not the right base for that look. To me, a 4x4 is not a vehicle that is a good start for lowering. A 4x4 is meant to be jacked up if anything, with big tires.......yada, yada, yada...........

Why not use this truck as a daily driver and then find something more suitable for the look that you want to go for. Most hotrodders have a second daily driver for everyday use....its pretty much a necessity.

I love having my 4x4...I have a little plow on it and go play in the snow with it....You live in Mass, they get snow there. The 4x4 will probably pay for itself.

What I am saying is, don't rush into something just because you have a vehicle. The plans for that vehicle needs to suit that vehicle.

#21 ·
poncho...i know what you're saying, I've been doing some thinking, i want to get a '68 Chevy c-10 rear wheel drive and put a 502 in it with a nice exhaust system and a ford 9 inch and lower that a bit, ill probably keep the blazer and do exactly what you said and jack it up, probably the cheap way with blocks, i don't know yet but the '68 is a nice truck and I've always admired them actually that whole line of trucks with that body style, i know where to get one too but i think its a '69, when i get it could you give me some advice on that too? it probably wont be until next year sometime but id appreciate it.

-Mark

#22 ·
Whatever you do DO NOT PUT BLOCKS IN THE FRONT. It isn't safe and also isn't legal in many states. You don't have to put blocks in the back either. You can do a shackle flip by cutting the bottom of the shackle hanger out so the shackle comes in from the bottom rather then the top. It will give you 4" of lift. Spend the money you save on the rear blocks and spend it on some used front springs and then get some new autozone shocks all around...

...or just put big tires on it and hack the fenders till they fit :smash:

#23 ·
alright, sounds a bit safer and money saving in the future, thank you and what is the biggest size tire that i can put on it legally because, I'm probably going to do that and put bigger tires on it too. about the interior problem, could i get some seat mounts that pivot, flip foward or what ever because i want to put those 40 dollar bucket seats in it from summit and 4 point harnesses. and also would i be able to put a main hoop in it for the shoulder straps and not lose acces to the rear seat?

-Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.