Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how to make a 500 horsepower chevy 350
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I too, am trying to reach the goal of 500+ hp. I have a 95 K1500 (Silverado) that I'm turning into a "project". I have had the motor pulled, block bored 30 over, forged pistons, an "rv" cam installed, heads shaved slightly (though I am replacing them with Vortec heads - didn't plan ahead) and headers installed. I have dual 2-1/2" lines thru two high-flow cats into a Flowmaster dual inlet / dual outlet muffler, exiting duals out the rear. I also had the auto tranny replaced with a manual.
Unfortunately, the truck isn't running correctly. When under load and in high gear, I'm getting detonation. Could this be the heads? The more I read, the more I'm thinking it is...

My goal was to add a supercharger to achieve the approximate 500+ hp. What I lack in is direction, alas I come for advice from people that know all the in's and out's of this area.
Should I go for a better fuel injection (TPI / MPI) or stay with EFI?
Should I ditch the fuel injection and go carb? If so, at what cost to fuel economy? LOL I know, 500 hp and worried about fuel economy? Well, I do wanna maximize whatever I may get.
Should I look into stroking this motor?
Should I supercharge or turbocharge? The guy who did the motor seemed to think turbo so that it would only "work" the motor when needed, not like a supercharger would from start to shut off...

Long post, I know... just need a few answers and a place to start.