Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how to make a 500 horsepower chevy 350
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95silverado View Post
I too, am trying to reach the goal of 500+ hp. I have a 95 K1500 (Silverado) that I'm turning into a "project". I have had the motor pulled, block bored 30 over, forged pistons, an "rv" cam installed, heads shaved slightly (though I am replacing them with Vortec heads - didn't plan ahead) and headers installed. I have dual 2-1/2" lines thru two high-flow cats into a Flowmaster dual inlet / dual outlet muffler, exiting duals out the rear. I also had the auto tranny replaced with a manual.
Unfortunately, the truck isn't running correctly. When under load and in high gear, I'm getting detonation. Could this be the heads? The more I read, the more I'm thinking it is...

My goal was to add a supercharger to achieve the approximate 500+ hp. What I lack in is direction, alas I come for advice from people that know all the in's and out's of this area.
Should I go for a better fuel injection (TPI / MPI) or stay with EFI?
Should I ditch the fuel injection and go carb? If so, at what cost to fuel economy? LOL I know, 500 hp and worried about fuel economy? Well, I do wanna maximize whatever I may get.
Should I look into stroking this motor?
Should I supercharge or turbocharge? The guy who did the motor seemed to think turbo so that it would only "work" the motor when needed, not like a supercharger would from start to shut off...

Long post, I know... just need a few answers and a place to start.
Whats the current compression? Why is the cc of the heads after they were milled? What is the cc's of the forged pistons? What do you have drive train related that will hold 500+hp? Do a twin turbo ls engine.