how to make a 500 horsepower chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to make a 500 horsepower chevy 350

What parts would I need to build a 500 horsepower 350 chevy. I don't want any forced induction. I want it to run on pump gas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Thats 1. 4 hp per cube. Is it for street? or just racing? what year engine? fuel injection or carb?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

lol just build a 383 @ 10.5:1 and add the trick flow 500hp BOLT ON KIT

so much easier for a street/strip machine

or just a 12.5:1 355 and basically the same parts with a custom grind cam, alot more rev's and youll need better quality parts because youll make that 500hp alot higher in the RPM range....

its not that hard its just more expensive if you want it to last...think of it this way, the money youll save on valve springs you could just build a stroker, because reliable 500hp n/a from a 355 is gonna be solid roller cam, expensive springs/rev kit etc...

Im talking real 500hp not desktop dyno kinda thing because although they are a valuable tool to some real world 500 hp is just a lil differnt...anyone who ays otherwise will have to prove thier "500" hp desktop dyno build on the track where MPH and E.T> do not lie....
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It's rather difficult to reach that figure and still run on pump gas. In that case cubic dollars are going to come into play. By you saying you want to run on pump gas makes me think you want this to be a street machine. If so then trust me, you wouldn't like it on the street as it wouldn't have real nice street manners and if your running a automatic it would require around a
4000 stall converter and some pretty steep gears. If this is a drag car it will make things easier, but still it will need more compression to get there than pump gas could handle. As mentioned to get there easier you need more cubic inches. going with a 383 is one way to do so, or you could look into purchasing the 3.875 stroke crank and making a small block 396 would make it much easier to reach that goal.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 AM

Last photo:

Easy, build a 300hp 350 and add a 200hp shot of n02.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

There are a LOT of 500hp 350's out there. This isn't anything new, and it doesn't need to be as radical as people are describing, though it is expensive.

You can get there with a hydraulic roller cam, flat top pistons, 200-220cc heads, carb or efi, nothing too extreme. Realistically you're probably looking at a power peak around 6500 rpm, which is higher than most street driven cars but not too unusual. A higher stall would be needed as already noted but a manual trans would probably be best.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Why saddle yourself with the stock block? I have never, will never understand this. Get a Dart Little M or an SHP block. Throw down at least 396 cid. up to say 427cid. This gives you room to grow (I believe up to 454)

Save the numbers matching stuff for garage art until you sell the car. If you chuck a rod through your numbers matching block....good luck. Paint your little M block orange and 99% of people would never notice.

Yes its more money; the motor will have better manners, make more power, be stronger and give you the peace of mind that its not going to come apart at the seams. Good seasoned blocks with minimal coreshift are getting hard to find these days; and you want to avoid the thinner castings.

Or you could find a boatyard and get a 502 mercruiser motor; change the cam and intake and get awfully close to your goal
Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Why saddle yourself with the stock block? I have never, will never understand this. Get a Dart Little M or an SHP block. Throw down at least 396 cid. up to say 427cid. This gives you room to grow (I believe up to 454)

Save the numbers matching stuff for garage art until you sell the car. If you chuck a rod through your numbers matching block....good luck. Paint your little M block orange and 99% of people would never notice.

Yes its more money; the motor will have better manners, make more power, be stronger and give you the peace of mind that its not going to come apart at the seams. Good seasoned blocks with minimal coreshift are getting hard to find these days; and you want to avoid the thinner castings.

Or you could find a boatyard and get a 502 mercruiser motor; change the cam and intake and get awfully close to your goal
You don't understand not having an extra grand lying around? I wish we could all find that hard to understand.

This can be and has been done with a stock block, stock crank, even stock rods if you so choose. You can use stock lifters, stock lt1 pistons, and if you're really good a highly modified set of stock heads and intake.

Sure using all of that takes a lot of time and skill but if you have it it saves money. If you don't have time and skill it'll be expensive.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
You don't understand not having an extra grand lying around? I wish we could all find that hard to understand.

This can be and has been done with a stock block, stock crank, even stock rods if you so choose. You can use stock lifters, stock lt1 pistons, and if you're really good a highly modified set of stock heads and intake.

Sure using all of that takes a lot of time and skill but if you have it it saves money. If you don't have time and skill it'll be expensive.
Oh I understand not having the extra grand. And perhaps the way I worded things came across harshly. I never intended to hurt anyones feelings. But I also know what happens when you have your heart set on something, say a 383 when you're in highschool. You take your block and get it prepped, you buy the heads you can afford, you laboriously micro manage everything to the n-th degree to the best of your ability. Then the motor breaks. You're out your block, and 2 con rods, several pistons etc etc. Now you can't afford to rebuild the motor and have to sell the car. Personal experience. It hurts awful bad and is pretty damn demoralizing to an 18yr old kid. I went through this with a few things until I learned there are some things that I personally won't skimp on. The better the foundation, the longer it will last and the happier I'll be

What my suggestion entails is perhaps getting another grand together is cheaper than Murphy's law at the 500hp level. Just my preference; as you said, a good condition stock block can certainly take 500hp, but you have much less margin to play with.

Last edited by AutoGear; 08-06-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I'd rather spend the extra money in the rotating assembly than an aftermarket block. Blocks do occasionally break, but it's usually a failure in a rod or the crank that results in the breakage. I'd find a decent rebuilder 4 bolt 350 and check the bosses to make sure there's no excess core shift, then build from there. Around my area a good rebuildable 350 4 bolt short block will go for $150-$250, {bare blocks even cheaper) and the savings can go towards a forged crank and other things that can fail sooner than the block.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 AM

500 hp is not a big deal. application has not been stated yet.who knows what the budget is,,,
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

do a search on this forum... this question gets asked about every other week. Then come back with a better list of intended use, parts, car, budget and we can better help you get parts lined up. Right now its kinda like shooting from the hip.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

you guys mention an extra grand laying around! The DART SHP block is 1600.00 (not including the 100.00+ s/h) and the DART little M is like 2500.00 (again not including s/h). Unless you are planning on running over 600hp or planing on running a 3.875+" stroke then I dont see the point. for the extra money you spent on the block i could tear down the motor, buy another block, have it machined and likely buy a few rods or the crank to replace the one that broke. Im all about saving the extra cash to make sure you do it right, but i dont see where an aftermarket block is needed.

to the OP, a 350 making 500hp NA isn't too hard, but one making 500hp NA on 93 or less octane is. it will want to turn some rpm, so a decent forged rot assy will be needed (IMO) you will want to push the limits with compression, say 11-11.5:1 with alm heads that have around 210-215cc intake runners, spend the extra cash and have them cleaned up, 112LSA hyd cam with around 245 @ .050 and .575" lift, use 1.6 rockers to bump you over the .600" lift mark. use a single plane intake like the vic jr, and a 750 double pumper. matched in a 3500lb car with a 3spd (th400-350), 3600-4000 stall and 4.10's to 4.56's.

It wont be as much fun on the street as it will on the track, but you should be able to get it to run on 93 octane.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 PM

I agree with vinnie what is your budget and what is your app.??? what year and type of block are you starting with????? also how do you want too use it , daily driver, weekend warrior, or just a cruser???
Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post

Exactly: My first concern is what kind of block you are planning on using? Can a stock block even withstand 500hp on a regular basis?

Even some of the bowtie blocks can be built with 400 or more cubes.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.