how to make aluminum transmission case clean - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to make aluminum transmission case clean

I pulled the side cover off my 64 GTO muncie expecting it to show badly worn parts. I was surprised to see the brass rings still looked good, the synchros showed no wear and all the gear teeth looked good. I'll just flush it out and put in fresh lube and new seals. My question is how to get the case looking like new, it's so dirty and old it looks more like rusty cast-iron than aluminum. What's the best way to clean the exterior of the case? Any responses are appreciated.

Ron
64 GTO

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM

Last journal entry: TBI experiment.
Last photo:

you can brake clean the crap out of it... that might work. best bet is a good hot wash with aluminum safe detergent and all seals/ internal components removed.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Aluminum case

They make "brightener". It's a mild acid, nd it will make it all new looking. Just keep in ind you DON"T wanna get any of it inside (you knew that), and it will be a frosty look not a shiny thing.
Check places where they do polishing work.
Blue Beacon Truck washes have it but I am not sure if they would do a tranny or not.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Last journal entry: TBI experiment.
Last photo:

that would do it. good suggestion.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

Mag wheel cleaner will do it no problem. Degrease it first, then spray with mag wheel cleaner. I use Eagle 1 made for non clearcoated wheels
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 AM

cleaner.

Tape the input/output shafts with duct tape and a sandwich bag. Then, use Super Clean, the purple stuff. Spray it on, let it set, use a parts cleaning brush, BUT don't leave it on to long. And, don't get it on your skin for long. Simple Green also works, just not quite as well. Hose it off with water, and repeat as needed. Then, reflush the trans inside. It's always worked good for me.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:37 AM

I saw this on Extreme 4x4 the other day. I would first degrease it, then use WD-40 and I believe it was 600 grit sand paper on a D/A sander to clean it up. Hand sand hard to reach areas and then to polish it you use the mothers polishing ball.

I have not tried this yet but I intend to when the situation presents it self.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman386
I saw this on Extreme 4x4 the other day. I would first degrease it, then use WD-40 and I believe it was 600 grit sand paper on a D/A sander to clean it up. Hand sand hard to reach areas and then to polish it you use the mothers polishing ball.

I have not tried this yet but I intend to when the situation presents it self.
Geeeze what are we trying to, clean it or polish it to show perfection?.

All the previous suggestions will work, just don't be tempted to use oven cleaner, it hates aluminum.

Vince
Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Someone on NASTYZ28 (IIRC) put his transmission case in his wife's dishwasher while she was away. One of the cases where its better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Shane
Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

I would start off with a simple pressure wash. Then follow some of the other suggestions, until the case is as clean as you want.
Change the tranny oil when you are done, to be sure the oil did not get contaminated.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

what to flush the inside of tranny with

OK list members, thanks for all the response. I've tried several tips and they all work. One more question; I'd like to flush the crud out of the interior of the muncie. It looks like the lube has been in there a long time, what's good? I was thinking of flushing it with kerosene. Anything wrong with that or is there a better way?

ron
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Manual transmission cleaning

Manual transmissions are lubricated by splash. No oil pump, in most of them, and since the cluster gear is always turning, when the engine is running, and the clutch is engaged, the cluster gear just throws oil up over everything, and it "leaks" down into everything else.
Obviously the best way to clean the inside of the transmission is to completely disassemble it, and clean the parts, and put it back together.
I would not run the transmission with kerosene, or another solvent. I would think it would be difficult to get it all back out if the bearings, and leave then not lubricated properly.
Since the oil is not pumped through the transmission, it you can, remove the top cover, or side cover, if the transmission has one, and carefully clean the gunk out of the transmission.
Dig it out with a gloved hand, or a scraper, or whatever works. Then take the solvent, and brush the remaining gunk to the bottom of the transmission case, with the drain plug out, using a solvent.
I have a siphon feed solvent gun that I use, to clean out the things like this. I last used it in a rear case for a Ford 8N tractor.
After the inside of case is cleaned, by whatever method, unless you completely disassemble it, plan on changing the transmission oil after it is run the first time, and again a little bit later, to remove the traces of solvent you will leave behind.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.