How to make sure your car goes to a good home - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to make sure your car goes to a good home

Hey guys, well i had to make a tough decision which is to sell my 1978 firebird. I went so far to get this car and had big plans for it, but i just can't afford it anymore. I need a good reliable car with good mpg to drive and this car just isn't cutting it. I was going to either put it in storage and work on it when i had money or just sell it and buy something else later when it's reasonable for me to have a project car. Having to work and go to school leaves me almost no time or money to work on it anymore and I decided it's best to move on. I'm actually pretty upset with myself mostly for not taking these things into consideration when i bought it.
I want to make sure it goes to a good home though, and get's properly fixed up. I don't want it to get scrapped or parted out. I just put a ton of new parts on it and I'm including a bunch of stuff with the car. Anyone have any ideas of how i can make sure the car goes to a good owner?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

This has happened to many people...it's hard to let it go to someone that doesn't appreciate the car the way you do. I've asked questions to the prospective buyer (you have a 78 T/A, it's not going to a guy that plans on jumping in and driving it, it needs work), in casual conversation talk about what you wanted to do with the car, and ask what there intentions would be. Then I would ask as to what they have built in the past, if they have a resume of cars they have done ask to see pictures, (your a car guy, they're car people, they should be happy to share all this information). Often with the car your selling you will attract somebody in the trade, if they are, ask how long they've been in the trade, where they work...with these questions, you'll soon find out how much they know about cars (especially your car), what there intentions are and if they have the capability and even resources to finish the project. Even ask if you can come and visit the car while they are doing the work, then they know your serious, it's your car, don't be afraid to ask questions.

I hope this helps.

Ray
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Forget it. Sell it to someone who lives so far away that you'll never see it again. Then you wont have to worry about how it's being taken care of. I sold my '71 Camaro a couple months ago after owning it for 40 years. I sold it out of my area as I didn't want to see it, or worry about whether the new owner was taking care of it the way I did for 40 yrs.
Sometimes it's better to let go, and not think about it so much. But it's easier if you don't have to ever see it all the time!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (04-21-2013), NEW INTERIORS (04-21-2013), Valkyrie5.7 (04-21-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Forget it. Sell it to someone who lives so far away that you'll never see it again. Then you wont have to worry about how it's being taken care of. I sold my '71 Camaro a couple months ago after owning it for 40 years. I sold it out of my area as I didn't want to see it, or worry about whether the new owner was taking care of it the way I did for 40 yrs.
Sometimes it's better to let go, and not think about it so much. But it's easier if you don't have to ever see it all the time!
X2

Brian
Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I don't know guys, I've had to or circumstances that I needed to sell a car that I really didn't want to..I did everything I could to know where the car went and on 2 occasions, I was able to buy the car back when things changed for me.

If I had a car that I wanted to sell and wasn't overly attached...then I'd say sure, let it go...the further away the better. One car I didn't do that to was my Firebird, I wanted to get it back but lost total contact and when I tried to search where it went and who owned it, I came up empty. Wish I had kept in touch.

I understand what your saying, but, for me, if it's a car I loved...I want it to go to a good home. That might just be me though, when I spend hours building a car for a customer...I even have a hard time giving it back to them...LOL.

Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
Hey guys, well i had to make a tough decision which is to sell my 1978 firebird. I went so far to get this car and had big plans for it, but i just can't afford it anymore. I need a good reliable car with good mpg to drive and this car just isn't cutting it. I was going to either put it in storage and work on it when i had money or just sell it and buy something else later when it's reasonable for me to have a project car. Having to work and go to school leaves me almost no time or money to work on it anymore and I decided it's best to move on. I'm actually pretty upset with myself mostly for not taking these things into consideration when i bought it.
I want to make sure it goes to a good home though, and get's properly fixed up. I don't want it to get scrapped or parted out. I just put a ton of new parts on it and I'm including a bunch of stuff with the car. Anyone have any ideas of how i can make sure the car goes to a good owner?
I love that style the 77-78 what you looking for? got pic's..
Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I love that style the 77-78 what you looking for? got pic's..
I'm asking $3500. That's about how much I put into it not including the amount I bought it for. Has a rebuilt 350 and th350. New bumper, newish fenders from a 77 t/a with one very tiny rust spot on each. The paint it mostly stripped so I'm definitely not hiding anything. Has a hole at the bottom right corner of the window and behind the rear tires has some glass but isn't too bad. The rear shelf is rusty but salvagable. Floor is mostly solid, just the piece that gets covered by the door sill is a little ugly. Interior is mostly gutted but I have a new dash with only one crack in it. It was a florida cars its whole life. The subframe and frame rails are 100% rust free and the car is really solid. I drive it almost every day.
What other parts are included: 4 wheels flares, 3 piece spoiler, manual tranny crossmember and drive shaft, and extra fender with mild rust, t/a gauges, 4 new shocks.
Like I said its not a real t/a but has all the t/a parts except the hood. Clean fl title and its registered. The price is seriously just the cost of parts. ************************
I appreciate the responces guys, I think id feel better knowing where it goes even if its not local, I just want to know its in good hands.

Last edited by poncho62; 04-21-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

i sold my beloved 63 willys cj-5 after restoring it.
the guy paid for it and he owns it.
i dont care what he does with it.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

This thread is starting to look very much like a classified ad....

Budget RVs
Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
understood..
I'll have him pm me photo's. ok
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Been on both sides of that fence over the years too, it sucks. In brutal honesty, you have a VERY limited base of people willing to pay that for a project car. In this economy, nice drivers are very reasonably priced. Put it out on the world market and grab as much cash as you can get from anyone willing to take it on or you will still have it years from now and can restore it then.

I know from experience that this isn't what you want to hear but "dreams" and reality are two very different animals... sorry
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Been on both sides of that fence over the years too, it sucks. In brutal honesty, you have a VERY limited base of people willing to pay that for a project car. In this economy, nice drivers are very reasonably priced. Put it out on the world market and grab as much cash as you can get from anyone willing to take it on or you will still have it years from now and can restore it then.

I know from experience that this isn't what you want to hear but "dreams" and reality are two very different animals... sorry
Hard to swallow, but very true! In the world of hotrods and collector cars, an unfinished project rarely gets what we have into them, or even what we have into them in parts! If a project can be finished, or the closer it is to finished, the better the odds are of gleaning something closer to what we have in it.
Most of us don't build our cars with any illusions that we'll get our money back, let alone profit. We build them for the enjoyment we get out of the build, or the end result. That's the real payoff on any hotrod.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Someone asks about the car and i can't give them a quick writeup? Ok then...
Gearhead, i'll send pics today if youre interested
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
Someone asks about the car and i can't give them a quick writeup? Ok then...
Gearhead, i'll send pics today if youre interested

When you ask in your post....Is anyone interested?..That is what I deleted out. ..That crosses the line.

Budget RVs
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
but "dreams" and reality are two very different animals... sorry
Very true !!!!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.