How many 79 malibu 4-speed cars made? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Did you know that there are 4 speed monte carlo SS's, (g-body, not the original) but only available in Mexico for some reason?

But anyways i was thinking about this while half-asleep; They really made alot of these a/g bodies. Every division except cadillac had one. This is amazing. Which GM division(s) designed it?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Chevy probably built most of them. They also had some in Pontiacs. They are rare no mater which brand they came on. You could get a 350 and 4 speed in 78, in 79 the 305 was the largest engine. Over on the Monte Carlo SS BB they are converting G body cars to manual transmission with the brake and clutch pedals from a 3rd generation F body and using a hydraulic clutch. People forget you are moving less weight on the 78 and up El Caminos. I put a roller cam 305 in mine, I'm happy with it, it pulls good. I have some full length headers but I have not tried to see if they will fit . I had trouble trying to get some shorties to fit
Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

When GM designed them, they designed them so a dual exhaust could not be used without modifing them. The transmission cross member is made so a exhaust pipe will interfear with it on the drivers side. I cut a section out of the crossmember and braced it on top so I could run a exhaust pipe on the drivers side. Most of the aftermarket headers for a SBC say they won't work with the 78 and up 4 speed G bodies. They might after the cross member is modified.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Second thought:

i think what would look great would be, for example, a 78-83 malibu coupe painted red and with corvette ralleys also painted red.

This would be a very cheap hot rod/cruiser.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I kind of enjoy when these "threads from the crypt" get resurrected. It kind of shows that what was interesting to some of us 5 years ago is STILL interesting today.

What year was it (1980's?) that GM produced a boatload of Malibu's with manual transmissions and sold them to the Saudi's ????

It sounds like history is about to repeat itself, with sales of the Malibu up 160% in the first 3 month of production.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

The ones they made with manual transmissions have always been poplular. When they show up on Ebay there are always bids on them. There are some road test articles on the internet from back in the day. The only problem is they used a Saginaw transmisssion instead of something better. Some people have been using T5 transmissions for swaps. There is a night and day difference with the ST10 over the Saginaw.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.