Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   How many 79 malibu 4-speed cars made? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-many-79-malibu-4-speed-cars-made-119763.html)

tiresmoke55 07-08-2007 09:20 PM

How many 79 malibu 4-speed cars made?

Hey guys i just picked up a nice 79 malibu standard shift car, factory 4-speed!!!! I know these cars are rare but i want to know how many of them was made in 1979? anybody have a link that tells the production on this kind of car? any help would be great Thanks :confused:

Blazin72 07-08-2007 10:18 PM

You might find something here: http://www.maliburacing.com/

Hippie 07-09-2007 05:27 AM

PICTURES! I have only ever seen one factory 4 speed G-body and that was a then new '79 El Camino, IIRC it was a "Royal Knight" edition or some goofy thing like that. Would have been a cool ride without the cartoon graphics.

tiresmoke55 07-09-2007 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the only pic's i have right now,, just got the car for a great deal,, came with build sheet!! car has new paint, and wheels,, all original interior 4-speed in the floor, this is only the 5th one i have seen,, thanks

Hippie 07-10-2007 05:45 AM

Good find. :thumbup: I had a '78 with a 305 AT years ago, I'd love to find another one but a decent one around here brings pretty good money IF you can find one and the not so decent ones all got cut up for stock cars back in the 90's. :(

1930u 07-10-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiresmoke55
Hey guys i just picked up a nice 79 malibu standard shift car, factory 4-speed!!!! I know these cars are rare but i want to know how many of them was made in 1979? anybody have a link that tells the production on this kind of car? any help would be great Thanks :confused:

Hey smoke I worked for the general in 78 when they introduced the new a & g body cars. In 1978 and 79 I remember seeing 1-79 Grand Prix 4-speed, 2 Lemans and 3 or 4 Malibu's. Very very rare cars in all car GM lines for 78-79 they probably only made hundreds.

tiresmoke55 07-10-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930u
Hey smoke I worked for the general in 78 when they introduced the new a & g body cars. In 1978 and 79 I remember seeing 1-79 Grand Prix 4-speed, 2 Lemans and 3 or 4 Malibu's. Very very rare cars in all car GM lines for 78-79 they probably only made hundreds.

Thanks very much for that info.. i knew they was really Rare but wow!! only 100's....
I WOULD LOVE TO GET THE ACTUAL PRODUCTION NUMBER ON THESE CARS U KNOW... even me having the build sheet i wonder if there is another way to find for sure that it is4-speed factory? never know the guy i got it off of could of pulled a fast one on me lol,, be hard to get that sheet but you never know,,,,,,

the trans hump where it is molded for the 4-speed is all factory so thats what im manly going off of right now,,,

I really wish i had a way to check the Vin code and be 100% sure!! :mwink: well thanks and have a good one,

HalfOunce 07-11-2007 07:26 AM

I seen one once a long time ago around 83-84 it was an originally silver but had been painted black red interior and had supposedly went through the vette line for engine and trans 350/4speed and vette rally wheels. sounded a little far fetched but he had an certificate of authentication right from GM

cucumber1949 07-11-2007 08:18 AM

I found a new 78 Monte Carlo on the dealer's lot in Berea, OH (then Merrick Chevrolet) back in the day. Had a factory 4-speed with a 350. Bought the car and drove it about 10 years before selling it to a friend's son who took it out to California and drove it ten more years. I remember a time or two when I took it in for service the mechanics would comment about how much 'special order' stuff was on the car that they hadn't seen before - aluminum this and heavy-duty that and such. There was nothing special about any of the options listed on the new-car window sticker. Of course, now I wish I still had it.

1930u 07-11-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiresmoke55
Thanks very much for that info.. i knew they was really Rare but wow!! only 100's....
I WOULD LOVE TO GET THE ACTUAL PRODUCTION NUMBER ON THESE CARS U KNOW... even me having the build sheet i wonder if there is another way to find for sure that it is4-speed factory? never know the guy i got it off of could of pulled a fast one on me lol,, be hard to get that sheet but you never know,,,,,,

the trans hump where it is molded for the 4-speed is all factory so thats what im manly going off of right now,,,

I really wish i had a way to check the Vin code and be 100% sure!! :mwink: well thanks and have a good one,

Get the all the numbers and letters off the serial tag. You should be able to verify manual or automatic from the engine code. Any chevy dealer should be able to help you.

John Horton 10-14-2012 02:57 PM

1979 malibu

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiresmoke55 (Post 834784)

(JOHN1979IN: CANADA) I have 1979 malibu 4 spd made in Canada i got the build sheet from GM Canada there was only 63 made in Canada the really rare thing that mine has is the gauge cluster there was only 23 made in Canada

RWENUTS 10-14-2012 07:43 PM

Good facts John but if you'll notice the date on this thread. It's over 5 years past. Look in the upper left corner next time.

E.Furgal 10-15-2012 04:30 AM

I've seen a few.
so far 12 78 el camino SS manuals
5 malibu's
and one pontiac

I think they where rare because those years power was um, a joke..
not many buyers for a 145hp 4spd car..

MARTINSR 10-15-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.Furgal (Post 1599263)
I think they where rare because those years power was um, a joke..
not many buyers for a 145hp 4spd car..

This was true at the time, but now, it's STILL a cool four speed car. :)

At the last car show I went to there was a 4 speed 66 Impala. When I was a kid I still would have dug it because I love wagons and always have. But the general public would have laughed at it. At the time a 79 Malibu was a sorry example of the great Malibus and Chevelles of just a few years before so there wasn't much we cared about them anyway.
NOW, that's all changed in my opinion, now I see those cars as a pretty damn neat car and will check them out often at shows.

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCF0557.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCF0556.jpg

V8&4spd 10-15-2012 02:26 PM

I have a 79 El Camino with a 4 speed in it. It came with a 3 speed manual transmission. They made them with both 3 speed and 4 speed manual transmissions. They used Saginaw transmisssions. I put a ST10 transmission in mine. They also made some of the El Caminos without cat converters, mine is one of them. Mine came from the factory with a posi rear end, tilt, cruise, A/C and the gauges. They are repoping the pedals and clutch linkage. I have the T10 with the low first gear, the rear end has highway gears in it, I couldn't be happier