How many 79 malibu 4-speed cars made? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How many 79 malibu 4-speed cars made?

Hey guys i just picked up a nice 79 malibu standard shift car, factory 4-speed!!!! I know these cars are rare but i want to know how many of them was made in 1979? anybody have a link that tells the production on this kind of car? any help would be great Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

You might find something here: http://www.maliburacing.com/
Old 07-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

PICTURES! I have only ever seen one factory 4 speed G-body and that was a then new '79 El Camino, IIRC it was a "Royal Knight" edition or some goofy thing like that. Would have been a cool ride without the cartoon graphics.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Here is the only pic's i have right now,, just got the car for a great deal,, came with build sheet!! car has new paint, and wheels,, all original interior 4-speed in the floor, this is only the 5th one i have seen,, thanks
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Copy of the malibu.bmp (227.2 KB, 330 views)
Old 07-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Good find. I had a '78 with a 305 AT years ago, I'd love to find another one but a decent one around here brings pretty good money IF you can find one and the not so decent ones all got cut up for stock cars back in the 90's.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u Windows are in
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmoke55
Hey guys i just picked up a nice 79 malibu standard shift car, factory 4-speed!!!! I know these cars are rare but i want to know how many of them was made in 1979? anybody have a link that tells the production on this kind of car? any help would be great Thanks
Hey smoke I worked for the general in 78 when they introduced the new a & g body cars. In 1978 and 79 I remember seeing 1-79 Grand Prix 4-speed, 2 Lemans and 3 or 4 Malibu's. Very very rare cars in all car GM lines for 78-79 they probably only made hundreds.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930u
Hey smoke I worked for the general in 78 when they introduced the new a & g body cars. In 1978 and 79 I remember seeing 1-79 Grand Prix 4-speed, 2 Lemans and 3 or 4 Malibu's. Very very rare cars in all car GM lines for 78-79 they probably only made hundreds.

Thanks very much for that info.. i knew they was really Rare but wow!! only 100's....
I WOULD LOVE TO GET THE ACTUAL PRODUCTION NUMBER ON THESE CARS U KNOW... even me having the build sheet i wonder if there is another way to find for sure that it is4-speed factory? never know the guy i got it off of could of pulled a fast one on me lol,, be hard to get that sheet but you never know,,,,,,

the trans hump where it is molded for the 4-speed is all factory so thats what im manly going off of right now,,,

I really wish i had a way to check the Vin code and be 100% sure!! well thanks and have a good one,
Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

I seen one once a long time ago around 83-84 it was an originally silver but had been painted black red interior and had supposedly went through the vette line for engine and trans 350/4speed and vette rally wheels. sounded a little far fetched but he had an certificate of authentication right from GM
Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 AM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I found a new 78 Monte Carlo on the dealer's lot in Berea, OH (then Merrick Chevrolet) back in the day. Had a factory 4-speed with a 350. Bought the car and drove it about 10 years before selling it to a friend's son who took it out to California and drove it ten more years. I remember a time or two when I took it in for service the mechanics would comment about how much 'special order' stuff was on the car that they hadn't seen before - aluminum this and heavy-duty that and such. There was nothing special about any of the options listed on the new-car window sticker. Of course, now I wish I still had it.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u Windows are in
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmoke55
Thanks very much for that info.. i knew they was really Rare but wow!! only 100's....
I WOULD LOVE TO GET THE ACTUAL PRODUCTION NUMBER ON THESE CARS U KNOW... even me having the build sheet i wonder if there is another way to find for sure that it is4-speed factory? never know the guy i got it off of could of pulled a fast one on me lol,, be hard to get that sheet but you never know,,,,,,

the trans hump where it is molded for the 4-speed is all factory so thats what im manly going off of right now,,,

I really wish i had a way to check the Vin code and be 100% sure!! well thanks and have a good one,
Get the all the numbers and letters off the serial tag. You should be able to verify manual or automatic from the engine code. Any chevy dealer should be able to help you.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM

1979 malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmoke55 View Post

(JOHN1979IN: CANADA) I have 1979 malibu 4 spd made in Canada i got the build sheet from GM Canada there was only 63 made in Canada the really rare thing that mine has is the gauge cluster there was only 23 made in Canada
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Good facts John but if you'll notice the date on this thread. It's over 5 years past. Look in the upper left corner next time.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

I've seen a few.
so far 12 78 el camino SS manuals
5 malibu's
and one pontiac

I think they where rare because those years power was um, a joke..
not many buyers for a 145hp 4spd car..
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
I think they where rare because those years power was um, a joke..
not many buyers for a 145hp 4spd car..
This was true at the time, but now, it's STILL a cool four speed car.

At the last car show I went to there was a 4 speed 66 Impala. When I was a kid I still would have dug it because I love wagons and always have. But the general public would have laughed at it. At the time a 79 Malibu was a sorry example of the great Malibus and Chevelles of just a few years before so there wasn't much we cared about them anyway.
NOW, that's all changed in my opinion, now I see those cars as a pretty damn neat car and will check them out often at shows.

Brian

Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

I have a 79 El Camino with a 4 speed in it. It came with a 3 speed manual transmission. They made them with both 3 speed and 4 speed manual transmissions. They used Saginaw transmisssions. I put a ST10 transmission in mine. They also made some of the El Caminos without cat converters, mine is one of them. Mine came from the factory with a posi rear end, tilt, cruise, A/C and the gauges. They are repoping the pedals and clutch linkage. I have the T10 with the low first gear, the rear end has highway gears in it, I couldn't be happier

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.