Hot Rod Forum banner

How many car projects are on your "want to do" list ?

3K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  pasadenahotrod 
#1 ·
heres nime, in no special order

1) 68 chevy c-10 truck, turbocharged 455 poncho powered, on a showstring engine. rest of vehical preferably sponsored by various companies. would spend a good amount of time "on loan" to sponsoring co's for use at major car shows.
2) Buick T-type / grand national clone - a "normal" regal with all the exterior mods, but a turbocharged buick 455 under the hood
3) 60's thunderbird leadsled - have the drawings upstairs for it - starbird style
4) tri five chevy - have the drawings upstairs for it - car is a radical mix of 50's gm styling cues, roof, headlights, front wheel wells, rear wheel wells ect all come from different cars
4) "sparky" -the idea / car that started my "free t-bucket plans" project
5) 80's thunderbird - sounds stupid but yea, have drawings for this car, includes a lift of hard top made from the original roof.
6) "bad intentionz - 80's mustang convertable turned hard top , entire body restyled to look retro - i started this project once before, prompted by fords "sissy" restyle of the mustang in the 90's, WELL before the new mustang came out. time and money doomed it the first time around
7) 50's fat fender chevy - have a side view of this vehical already - car is drawn so that its proportianal to its stance. highest point of the roof is about 40-45" off the ground.
8) 67 mustang / ranchero - i should have bought this car when it was for sale in the area, but i realized id just have to cut it up to make it look "factory" ... easier to start fresh .... and it looks WAY better then it sounds
9) 80's firebird - have drawings for this car ... another one of those designs based on the "how it should have ben designed originaly" deals ...

i know i have 6 or 7 more cars, just cant think of them right now ....

your turn ....

See less See more
#3 ·
-3.73's in my Elky
-Transmission in another '85 Elky
-Frame off my Dad's Caballero Diablo
-redo floorbaords until frame off on Diablo
-4.11's or 4.30's in my Dad's '64 Buick
-New motor in my Mom's perfectly fine running '81 Monte Carlo (doesn't run well cold and no real power, its a 267 btw)
-Front end work on Dad's '65 Riviera, steering is +/- a half a lane
-Build race car out of '85 Buick Regal, waiting for it to die first, probably run forever with the 3.8 V6.
-'84 C30 will need a new engine eventually, small blower on a Big Block would be nice.
-Body work on said C30, '79 Diablo, '85 Elky and my Elky while we are at it. Why not paint them all? lets see 8 cars, 1 month a piece, 8 months later it's time to repaint the first one again...

#4 ·
In the works...

Here are what I've got on the plate right now:

Street Machine 1969 Cougar, wife's car. Have donor, which has good metal, but needs frame up. Probably run a hot 351C & C6. Modern suspension/brakes.

'79 F150 frame, boxed original frame + tube frame, with 4-dr '76 F250 Body & 42" IROKs. Stroked 460, T-18, 205/203 T-case, Dana 60s, Coilovers, luxury rockcrawler. Full Street rod interior with PS2, DVD, etc, but pure rockcrawler from the outside. Drive 5 comfortably to Moab (albeit at huge gas cost), & then run any trail you want. Currently have frame & body in different bays, in work.

'88 Grand Wagoneer Dana 44s & 360/727/229 are the foundation for rock buggy for my son, Ryder (10). Engine is finished, rebuilding trans/t-case now. Frame is still in layout stages.

Super Secret small buggy in works, powered by Honda 750.

'64 FJ-40 RestoRod. Capable trail truck with some hints of new FJ styling, 33's, 4" lift. Running SBC 327 & TH350. In work. Running & driving, but weekend projects.

Projects soon to enter the shop are Factory Five Cobra & bare bones rat rod with Ford 460/C6.

Plan to have 4 of these at SEMA '07.

#5 ·
29 Model A roadster, Ardun heads on a full-house flatty and a McCulloch supercharger to top it off. '40 Ford dash and steering wheel. Banjo rear, Zephyr gears for tranny, deuce grill shell. Painted deep navy blue, with black steelies and 40' chrome baby hubcaps wrapped in blackwall bias ply's, dark brown (sort of weathered) leather interior....

Mike

#6 ·
The car in the avatar still needs a couple of things, to finish
Bed Floor--Fuel tank straps that are not hokey lookin'
May go with an EFI when the wife ain't lookin'.
---------------------------------
After doing a couple of home projects (at her request {demand})
66 Elky--want to build a regularly DRIVEN car
as this car has 327 badges--was thinking of a late model 5.3 from a pick-up
A 5-spd is necessary--Marina Blue--Air--Tilt--cruise

might even use a v-6 if fuel prices go too crazy

Replace tired ol' 454 in my ol' pick-up with rebuilt 454 in my garage

Attachments

#8 ·
1936 Ford Coupe, Y-block with all the goodies on it, MII front supsension, Ford 9" rear, toploader tranny, teardrop tail-lights, jet black burried under coats and more coats of clear, hefty body drop but no ground scraper, black steelies with baby moons and trim rings wrapped in wide whitewall tires...

Mike

#9 ·
1927 Model T roadster. top hood only, fendered, Chopped deuce grille, 425 nailhead, T400 trans 9" ford, black with red interior. steelies and bably moons wrapped in wide whites.

1932 Ford Hiboy Roadster, 500 caddilac, T400, Sunshine yellow with a tan interior. Torque thrust II's big and little's

#10 ·
Nailhead is a nice call, don't see those everyday :)

The outrageous:
I want to take my nova and someday put a 9000RPM twin turbo small block (probably 302/327) to make my nova a 200mph Bonneville runner.

Realistic once I get my own place:
Turbo AMC inline six 67-69 rambler American 4speed tire shredder.

A tube framed dune buggy 5sp fiero transaxle with a super secret turbo'd powerplant

AMC eagle 4x4 4speed built for all purpose off road with a HO 4.0L. I want to hit the mud going 80mph :evil:

#11 ·
Well, what I have sitting in the garage right now are:

'53 Chevy Pickup - Hemi powered
'32 Ford 3 window coupe - Hemi powered but all in pieces.
'64 Dodge Polara 383 4 speed - will be a Max Wedge Clone with a 451 big block stroker

After those are done I have two more DeSoto hemis I need to find a home for so I'm thinking possibly a Model A roadster and/or a "T" bucket.

#12 ·
These are what we "want" to do right? Well, I must do my 1948 Chevy pickup (chopped and sectioned) and my 65 Gran Sport convertible (working on it this very minute, letting primer flash).

But what I "want", this darn car has been in my head ever since I saw one at the San Francisco International auto show about six or seven years ago. (click here)

It's like that woman you just can't forget, I WANT this car.

Brian

#14 ·
Lifetime Goals

Right Now i want to finish my 1940 Packard 120 ( Chevy 350, mustang front clip, channeled and ford 8" rear. Also shaved door handles and trunk so far) once i get some money since im short on it because im only 15 i want to chop the top 2 inches all leather interior and put a big block in it!!!
Then a 1932 ford couple like Milner's in american graffiti but painted black with red pinstriping.

1967 mustang fastback restored

1968 Firebird convertible ( black on black) with leather interior and a stock 400 in it would be awesome
Then i want to do a 1955 Chevy on a tube

Then a 1957 Chevy shortbed stepside truck
and a 1965 chevy stepside shortbed.

Might take a life time but who the hell cares!!! :evil:

#15 ·
project cars

1941 Plymouth 2 door sedan street rod (two parts cars + in the back yard)
1979 Malibu station wagon - in the garage, mostly using to practice my body work. Planning on a strong SBC or possibly a 500 caddy that I am trying to get a hold of. Flat black, WWW, red wheels, Mexican blanket seat covers.
1940 Ford pickup - just picked this one up from my brother, they are such a cool looking truck that it may get bumped up the list!

Future list - ya gotta dream right?
1950 Chevy pickup
1972 El Camino
1967 Chevelle
Traditional Model A
So many cars, so little time!

Rick

#16 ·
More of my list .... not done yet either

10) cobra 427sc replica ... big block, twin supercharged to mimic the look of the shelby king cobras ...
11) shelby cobra daytona kit car
12) lotus 7 kit car
13) dune buggy - nothing special... just a dune buggy
14) rear engine pickup truck of some sort - SBC mated to a porsche tranny of some sort
15) rebody a newer porsche as a porsche 550 spyder body (james dean's car)
16) 51/53 studebaker starlight coupe - a milder version of "frankenstude"
17) something insanely proportianed - on par w/ the kind of cars in the ratfink cartoons
18) something that looks like crass and bernie from "Car-toons" built it ... just so i can have Trosley sign it, and maybe draw it as a print ...

#17 ·
In the garage and under way:

1) 1949 Olds -- want: a '76 Caddy 500 in it (yeah, the year matters to me), TH350, Corvette front end, front buckets, tilt steering, A/C, Cragars, 1-piece windshield, scatter some black walnut around the interior (big log has been air drying in my barn for 20 years), fix the idiotic Giggling Monkeys hood hinge design so the safety catch is not a forehead ripper and the hood will actually open far enough to be useful to humans.

2) 1959 4CV -- want: disc front, eliminate the fugly but comfy French kiddy-car seats, fit six 12V batteries in the rear engine compartment and front trunk, replace the (max) 21 HP (at 4000 RPM) rear water-cooled engine that has about enough torque to take off with a 28 HP DC electric motor with gobs of torque.

Wish list:

1) restore a '40 Ford coupe while making a duplicate of every body part in fiberglass and epoxy and duplicating the frame in steel
2) build another car from the ground up using the duplicate parts, then chop, channel, section and generally go nuts with it (it ought to have headlights like a Cord)
3) section my '80 Dodge pickup so it doesn't have a nose the size of a barn door, chop it, drop it about 5 inches, reshape the whole doghouse so it's not just a box.
4) resurrect my '64 GMC-Chevy pickup as something safe to put on the highway, keep the 350 but couple it to a transmission with more than 3 and with an actual shifter, find a windshield without a bullet hole, replace the freon tank with a real gas tank between the rails, replace the mobile home brake lights, drop it down over the wheels instead of having enough room in the fenderwells for another pair.

#18 ·
I forgot the most important one

1950 Fargo, 331 HEMI with a roots blower, finned valve covers and all the goodies, 5 speed, Halibrand quick change rear, dropped drilled & chromed front axel, discs all the way around, a hefty drop with panhard bar and 4-link setup in rear, adjustable air shocks, sectioned bed, shaved everything except doorhandles, custom chrome grill with teeth, visor, stewart warner gauges, old school 3 spoke chromed steering wheel with white leather/vinyl rim, metallic navy blue with a little bit of flake maybe, burried underneath tons of clear so the sun sets off a big show of sparkle deep in the paint, oak bed, custom bullet tailights, white tuck 'n roll interior with navy blue piping, navy blue carpets, painted steelies with baby moons wrapped in white-wall tires....

The only difference between all my other dream cars and this one.....is that this one is going to happen for sure!

Mike

#19 ·
On the plate and not yet.

Havn't post much, I enjoy reading and learning from this forum.
Currently working on my 67 cougar, hope to finish for the spring.
I have a 1970 Caddy coupe deville for slammin and cruisen next.
Would like to find a 69 firebird hard top.
Also would like to do a 70 nova

#20 ·
i've been thinking about a pro-street style BIKE with a Dodge Tomahawk rear suspension. thats right...a bike. but after that, maybe turn my dads 68 Deville into a cool cruiser (dont tell him :mwink: ) or maybe my 53 F100 w/Buick 455 th400, chopped, flat black (but that plan might change)

now instead of thinking of what i need to do to my sled, im thinking about this..thanx a lot guys

#21 ·
1927 Model T on model A rails, fenton supercharger on a buick straight 8 backed up by a 5 speed, 8 zoomies sticking out the side, pickupbed instead of turtle deck, beer keg gas tank in the bed, suede olive green with a black military star on the side of the doors, artillery wheels painted flat black with spider caps and trim rings, bomber seats, DuVall windshield, hand grenade as a shift-knob, old figher plane gauges, aluminum floors and doorpanels, everything riveted in the interior, bullet caps on the head bolts.....

Mike

#22 ·
Projects I want to do? Gee this is tough.

Well they all need a good paint job.
Probably a good idea to upgrade one or two or three to duel line master cylinder and possibly disk brakes?

I know I want my very first car at least running by 2007. Since it's the 50th anniversary of the '57 Chevy. The car's been torn down almost 20 years now. The 10+ years of un-employment didn't help me out much. :(

I do need to get the Muncie out of the 150 Wagon so I can remove the lock washers I put on the new ARP flywheel bolts I used when I was installing the new clutch set-up this past winter. I didn't know you're NOT Suppose to use lock washers on the tapered ARP bolts?

The other BelAir Hardtop could use a new clutch as the one in there now I installed in 1984 that I bought used.

The windowed Sedan Delivery just got all new exhaust. Good thing I had my original 1983 NAPA receipt so I could take advantage of the life-time replacement the muffler had.

They don't seem real happy when I produce the original receipts for life-time parts I bought 20 some years ago. :D :thumbup:

#23 ·
1955 Oldsmobile 2 door Gasser, gutted interior with red metalflake fiberglass bucket seat for driver, big foot gas pedal, full roll-cage, diamon plate dash insert, red metalflake 3 spoke steering wheel, old mooneyes tach and gauges, no front bumper upfront but a small moon tank, straight axel up front with a mayor nosebleed stance, early halibrand kidney slots up front (polished) and out back (unpolished) with cheater piecrest cheater slicks out back, red & white two-tone scheme on the body with a massive supercharged 455 big block Olds sticking out of the hood, backed by a powerflide with transbrake, quick-change rear of course with huge ladder bars keeping the supsension straight....

Common guys, am I the only dreamer?

Mike

#25 ·
I have the following projects:

1. 53 Chevy 210 4-dr - This one is not too far from being finished.
2. 54 Chevy Bel-Air 4-dr - not started
3. 52 Chevy DeLuxe 4-dr - not started
4. 48 GMC Panel Truck - suspension started

The last one which I'm trying to sell now is a 48 Chevy Fleetmaster which I didn't start with yet but after acquiring the 54 I don't think I'm ever gonna get to it and just want the space.

#26 ·
I have the following projects:

1. 53 Chevy 210 4-dr - This one is not too far from being finished.
2. 54 Chevy Bel-Air 4-dr - not started
3. 52 Chevy DeLuxe 4-dr - not started
4. 48 GMC Panel Truck - suspension started

The last one which I'm trying to sell now is a 48 Chevy Fleetmaster which I didn't start with yet but after acquiring the 54 I don't think I'm ever gonna get to it and just want the space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.