Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How many gallons of paint needed
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I feel that paint is paint and that all the major brands are very similar to each other. I've been a rep for several company's so from experience I can safely say that they all work. When choosing paint, I look at the jobber more than the manufacturer because in the event that you have a problem it's the guy who sold you the paint that's going to help you, not the manufacturer. That being said, when it comes to consistent color coverage,cost and material control (control of how even metallic's lay down) I prefer PPG's Deltron. Now, that doesn't mean that Dupont, Nexa, RM or any other manufacturer's product won't be as good...this is what I've found over the years I've been doing this.

As far as how much paint you need, I like to break everything down, go a little extra in a few area's so you don't run out and assume 3 coat coverage (I don't know how your or however paints but 3 coats on a dark color is generally enough). I'll break it down in sprayable quarts...The outside of the body 3 coats at 1.5 quarts per coat = 4.5 quarts...Under the hood and engine bay 1 quart for 3 coats, door jambs 1 quart for 3 coats, inside doors and dash 1 quart for 3 coats...under the deck lid and inside trunk 1 quart for 3 coats, undercarriage (not complete but about 1/3 of the undercarriage), 1 quart for 3 coats...miscellaneous for all the small pieces you hang, don't often think about and waste more paint on because most of it ends up going in the air because the pieces are small, 1 quart for 3 coats. So that works out to 10.5 sprayable quarts, with a 1 to 1 reduction with a DT reducer (If you go with PPG's Deltron) works out to 5.25 quarts or 1 gallon and a pint of paint. To be on the safe side, get 1 1/2 gallons. That way you should have more than enough if God forbid anything goes wrong or you need to re-shoot some parts.

Hope this helps.

Ray
I am totally with you Ray on all manufacturers being close to the same in coverage. However, the value lines like Omni over Deltron, both PPG can be miles apart in coverage where Omni could need 5 or 6 coats to Deltrons 3 to cover. That is what I was referring to.

Brian