How many gallons of paint needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How many gallons of paint needed

I have a 1964 Ford Galaxie 4 door sedan how many gallons of paint needed going back original dynasty green met.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

single stage, base coat clear coat, single stage with clear, how many coats and what brand (some cover better then others)?
Are you doing a complete Jambs, under trunk ETC?
Jester
Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 PM

2 coat, basecoat clear coat not sure of the brand still trying to find who has it
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Door jambs and everything
Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

On the ford 4 door galaxy the last I did was a 67 galaxy 4 door complete 1 & 1/2 gallons base and 2 gallons & 1 Qt of clear coat but it depends on mix quantity and coverage and your spray technique and if you need an extra coat of clear laid to sand and rub! its better to get a little too much then to run short in the middle of the job! Is this your first attempt at spraying a car?

Jester
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM

It is but going to have my brother help me. He has done it before but on the last one he didn't put enough hardner in it and just a little ding made the paint chip and thats not how I want this one to be.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

As Jester mentioned, it depends on brand and on the color itself. Some colors cover better than others and it's extremely difficult to say that 2 coats will cover the substrate completely. It also depends on the color of the substrate, the experience of the painter, a painter with a good deal of experience will know how to stretch a quart of paint to make it go further than an inexperienced painter.

So your doing the outside, door jambs...what about under the hood, under the trunk lid, interior dash, interior door frames, insides of fenders, engine bay, undercarriage? These are all things that need to be factored in before suggesting the amount of paint you need.

If you can give us more information we can give you a better estimate of the amount of paint you need.

Ray
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM

I plan on painting eveything under hood, trunk, dash everything. Can you recommend any brands as long as its the original dynasty green met
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
The biggest thing that can change how much color you need is simply, are all the things being painted the same substrate color? Is that color similar to the color being painted so it will cover easily?

Say you have the car in gray primer, and there are black primer spots all over, that is a disaster waiting to happen as it will take many more coats. If you are using a value line cheaper paint, add many more coats. So if the whole thing were gray and the paint going over it is light green, you are going to use a lot less than if some parts are gray and others are some other color.

If you use a value line paint you are going to use much more, so think about what paint you plan on using and maybe the top of the line isn't that much more when you factor in how much you will use.

All I know is what I have lived by, buy PLENTY! The paint is damn cheap when you think about running out in the middle of the paint job!

Having a quart or two left over to put away for some future mishap or to paint that new cowl induction hood you decide on getting......

Brian
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis80 View Post
I plan on painting eveything under hood, trunk, dash everything. Can you recommend any brands as long as its the original dynasty green met
I feel that paint is paint and that all the major brands are very similar to each other. I've been a rep for several company's so from experience I can safely say that they all work. When choosing paint, I look at the jobber more than the manufacturer because in the event that you have a problem it's the guy who sold you the paint that's going to help you, not the manufacturer. That being said, when it comes to consistent color coverage,cost and material control (control of how even metallic's lay down) I prefer PPG's Deltron. Now, that doesn't mean that Dupont, Nexa, RM or any other manufacturer's product won't be as good...this is what I've found over the years I've been doing this.

As far as how much paint you need, I like to break everything down, go a little extra in a few area's so you don't run out and assume 3 coat coverage (I don't know how your or however paints but 3 coats on a dark color is generally enough). I'll break it down in sprayable quarts...The outside of the body 3 coats at 1.5 quarts per coat = 4.5 quarts...Under the hood and engine bay 1 quart for 3 coats, door jambs 1 quart for 3 coats, inside doors and dash 1 quart for 3 coats...under the deck lid and inside trunk 1 quart for 3 coats, undercarriage (not complete but about 1/3 of the undercarriage), 1 quart for 3 coats...miscellaneous for all the small pieces you hang, don't often think about and waste more paint on because most of it ends up going in the air because the pieces are small, 1 quart for 3 coats. So that works out to 10.5 sprayable quarts, with a 1 to 1 reduction with a DT reducer (If you go with PPG's Deltron) works out to 5.25 quarts or 1 gallon and a pint of paint. To be on the safe side, get 1 1/2 gallons. That way you should have more than enough if God forbid anything goes wrong or you need to re-shoot some parts.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM

It does thanks alot for that.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Is that the same amout for clear coat to
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I feel that paint is paint and that all the major brands are very similar to each other. I've been a rep for several company's so from experience I can safely say that they all work. When choosing paint, I look at the jobber more than the manufacturer because in the event that you have a problem it's the guy who sold you the paint that's going to help you, not the manufacturer. That being said, when it comes to consistent color coverage,cost and material control (control of how even metallic's lay down) I prefer PPG's Deltron. Now, that doesn't mean that Dupont, Nexa, RM or any other manufacturer's product won't be as good...this is what I've found over the years I've been doing this.

As far as how much paint you need, I like to break everything down, go a little extra in a few area's so you don't run out and assume 3 coat coverage (I don't know how your or however paints but 3 coats on a dark color is generally enough). I'll break it down in sprayable quarts...The outside of the body 3 coats at 1.5 quarts per coat = 4.5 quarts...Under the hood and engine bay 1 quart for 3 coats, door jambs 1 quart for 3 coats, inside doors and dash 1 quart for 3 coats...under the deck lid and inside trunk 1 quart for 3 coats, undercarriage (not complete but about 1/3 of the undercarriage), 1 quart for 3 coats...miscellaneous for all the small pieces you hang, don't often think about and waste more paint on because most of it ends up going in the air because the pieces are small, 1 quart for 3 coats. So that works out to 10.5 sprayable quarts, with a 1 to 1 reduction with a DT reducer (If you go with PPG's Deltron) works out to 5.25 quarts or 1 gallon and a pint of paint. To be on the safe side, get 1 1/2 gallons. That way you should have more than enough if God forbid anything goes wrong or you need to re-shoot some parts.

Hope this helps.

Ray
I am totally with you Ray on all manufacturers being close to the same in coverage. However, the value lines like Omni over Deltron, both PPG can be miles apart in coverage where Omni could need 5 or 6 coats to Deltrons 3 to cover. That is what I was referring to.

Brian
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Clear coat is a bit different....clear coat covers in 1 coat no matter what (i coat may not look as good as 3 but it will be covered in 1)...it depends on how many coats of clear you want to put on your vehicle. If your looking for a driver quality, nice shiny finish and adequate protection from the elements, 2 coats is generally sufficient, if you want a deeper shine and or your planning on cutting and polishing the clear coat than you may want or go 3 or even 4 coats, it's all a matter of what you want. When it comes to how much to buy, then it all depends again on, how many coats, what the reduction of your clear is (some clear coats are 4 to 1 some are 4 to 1 to 1 and others are 2 to 1). If you know what you want in the form a clear coat and the reduction, I can help you break it down to sprayable quarts and hopefully come close to what your going to need to do your car.

Ray
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM

I want a show room finish where you can see yourself real good like a mirror finish

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.