Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How many leafs would you remove?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just a side note for those swapping around leaf springs. It's not just the number of leafs you remove, but which ones. Removal of the shortest leaf is going to soften up the ride more than removal of the next to longest leaf...and so on.

Also, one needs to do some dancing to get both the ride and ride height you want. Engine weight and position, along with other factors, makes every car different. You may need to first add/subtract leaves until you get the ride firmness you want and then add or subtract blocks or spacers to get the car back to the ride height you want. Depending on how particular you are, this can require a good deal of experimentation.

I've been fiddling with the quarter ellipticals on my sedan delivery all summer to perfect the ride and have ended up with three leaf stacks (using F-100 springs) to soften the ride both front and rear. However, to do this I needed to use 6 degree wedges (normally used for setting pinion angle) in order to retain the ride height I needed.