Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How MANY PCV valves should I use?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.
Earlier car engines used to be directly vented into the atmosphere through the breather on the valve covers or through a breather tube,sometimes there was a vacumm created in the cranckase (on decceleration) thus the engine ingested unfiltered(dirty) air upon acceleration or as the engine wore the fumes were vented into atmosphere.
Pollution laws changed all this,the pvc was added to create somewhat of a contolled vaccum in the cranckase,this did several things.
1 It prevented the fumes from escaping into the atmosphere thus reducing the amount of oil fumes
2 Reduced the amount of oil leaking out of the engine(instead of oil leking out,air would be sucked in)
When the amount of negative pressure inside the engine exeeds the resistance of flow of the breather then air goes inside the engine through the breather,but the "best" air to be induced into the engine is of course clesn air,thats why a lot of brathers are plumbed through the engine air inlet,the pcv valve plays a balanced role in all this "dance" and is engineered to maintain preset parameters of negative pressure,adding another one would be of no practical use and would serve no purpose other than unbalacing the A/F mixture.
I hope this answers ur question
Short version....dont do it motor will run worse and u wont gain a thing...