How many people? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Team Revolution

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How many people?

How many people run with no catalytic converter? I was just wonder if you have ever been stopped by the police? I think Im just going to run strait duals with glass packs, but if it will be terribly loud I will throw some cats on.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Moving to the basics forum.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan__tille
How many people run with no catalytic converter? I was just wonder if you have ever been stopped by the police? I think Im just going to run strait duals with glass packs, but if it will be terribly loud I will throw some cats on.
is this your DD, and, if so, I would be more concerned with passing inspection than the cops looking under your car. if you live in Texas and it is a Classic/Antique hot rod, you can get by with murder - - - if you keep your foot out of it, that is
Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

You got smog inspections? Safety Inspections? If your vehicle came with them, you'll need them on.

Why the noise anyway? It adds no performance. With Flowmasters or some of the other 'real' performance mufflers, you can get better performance without all the annoying racket.

You might also check into hi-flow cats, if you need to keep em.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Dunno what it s there..the least of your issues is the loss of the plates for the car..go to a high flow cat if you must..or dual cats..

Sam
Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

If you don't have rampant emissions testing leave the cats off and throw on some dynomax super turbos. They will keep it quiet enough to any extent and give you a great sound when you get on it, and they are really cheap compared to every other muffler. No loss to sound quality either, they sound good on everything.
You will get tired of the glasspacks if its your daily driver. Your neighbors will also complain if you leave early in the morning....ask me how I know.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

I cut my cat off with in a week of getting of my car. I now run about 4' of 3" straight exhaust off each long tube header with a 17" glass pack on the end of each. My exhaust ends about under the back seat, and I still need to put elbows on it to stop the fumes when I sit in place from getting stuck in traffic.

Never had a ticket, no inspections here, I ran with open headers for about a week and Johnny law followed me home twice from work but never pulled me over. I like the way glass packs sound so they don't bother me, I like the noise

They may bother the neighbors when I go to work at 5:00 am, but I've never heard a complaint, on one side they play their "boom boom boom" stereo full blast when they leave, come home, or are out in the yard, and on the other side they have a $h1Tt>- beat up caprice they think is a race car or something so it is live and let live around here.

So mine is straight, no cats, just 4' of pipe with dual glass packs. Not to loud actually and great cackle when you let off the gas. In the garage they can be very loud with the reverberation.

Last edited by ortamenxs; 04-30-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: dsylexia
Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

My 85 never had em.

Shane
Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
My 85 never had em.

Shane
Do you drive a Honda?

To my knowledge, since emission requirements were tightened, the only car company that has good enough engine management to run without a converter is Honda.

I'm pretty sure it is a federal offense to cut the cats off of a car without replacing them.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

EPA rules, namely the Clean Air Act, prohibits the altering of an exhaust system in any way that defeats the emissions components of a vehicle. In 1990 the law was amended to expand the tampering prohibition to include private individuals.

Removing the converter is a violation of Federal Law. Us a couple high flow cats and your choice of mufflers.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
My 85 never had em.

Shane

Thats odd my 84 Suburban & 79 Caddy had them. Sounds like someone removed the converter which is a violation of Federal Law...........joe
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

hey, Logan, just for grins what kind of vehicle do you have
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
Thats odd my 84 Suburban & 79 Caddy had them. Sounds like someone removed the converter which is a violation of Federal Law...........joe
Trucks and cars have different emissions requirements. Also, light-duty (under 8,600 lb GVW) is different from heavy duty trucks. My 86 1-ton Chevy truck did not require cats from the factory, but half ton trucks that year did. Also, diesels did not require cats and if a diesel vehicle was converted to gas it likely didn't get cats installed. This has been a loophole for some time, as diesel cars did not require emissions testing. Calif has now put laws in place that specifically address diesel vehicles converted to gas engines.

Bottom line is that federal anti-tamper laws prohibit cat removal but chances of being caught by the Feds are almost nil. State laws vary and those are the ones that you need to worry about in the real world. Just because one person in a state with lax laws hasn't been caught YET doesn't mean you won't be. Get smart on your local laws and let your conscience be your guide. On the other hand, modern high-flow cats provide nearly no restirction, so why not run them?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM

What makes the New England states and Cali so strict is because they add to the law. Which a state is allowed to do. Here in Oklahoma the laws are pretty lax. Cops dont generally pull you over just to inspect your ride tho. I have desmoged my 87 Honda ran better and wasnt loud, Same with my 71 truck it has straights into 24" glass packs, My old 87 Ford had the same thing, Sounds real good not loud and has a nice rumble going down the road, Then I turn the out just before the rear axle on the 71, The neighbor has a stock system with on his v6 Chevy truck with a set of 3" echo tips and he is louder than my truck. Hey remember, that if you remove your cats to recycle them....I sold two from a jeep and snagged 140.00 bucks. (The jeeps were being modded for off road)
Old 05-01-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938
Do you drive a Honda?

To my knowledge, since emission requirements were tightened, the only car company that has good enough engine management to run without a converter is Honda.

I'm pretty sure it is a federal offense to cut the cats off of a car without replacing them.
As I recall there were were two passenger car companys that were able to qualify early-on without Catalytics, at least here in California. They were Honda and BMW. I think it only lasted a year or so for them, though, then the requirements tightened-up and they too were forced to make the change.

At one time I put catalytics on the wife's Vette (a 68). It is amazing how much cleaner the engine was afterward. In fact, it was cleaner than my Dad's new (at the time) 96 Silverado.

Pat

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.