How many projects? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2005, 03:46 PM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How many projects?

How many projects is one too many? I mean I have the caddy I am fixing up, but am thinking about taking on another 1-2 projects. So when do you know you have reached your limit? I am not considering total project cars, only 1-2 of the ones I have looked at are not running. Even then they are fairly complete.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 04:10 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

I dont know your financial situation, but I cant get one project done let alone 2 or 3.
Id rather spend my money and have one complete beautifull hotrod than 3 12/2 done ones. Hg

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 02-27-2005, 04:50 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

projects

It's quite easy to take things apart. Putting them back together is another matter. I have two ongoing projects but I always complete one before starting another unless I am waiting on machining, parts, etc. #1 project motor is at the machine shop so I started working on #2 project. The motor will be back in 3 days. It will take me 2 months to finish #1 project but #2 will be done in 2 weeks.

After the two months I will start a new motor from scratch for #2 project. The #1 project will be completed. With nothing else scheduled for it. That way both projects will be on the road while the motor is being built for #2. The motor will cost 10,000, so I figure 6 to 10 months depending on cash flow.

This will leave me with a spare 425 HP 454. I plan on buying a 2nd gen F body and put the 454 in it. Thus, Project #3 is now on the drawing board. I will not purchase the car until project #2 is complete and the motor is in its cradle. Unless something breaks I will stick to the plan.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Know what your saying.

If i'm not carefull, I'll end up with a 69 RancharoBee.
I started on the 'Bee a couple of years ago and did a 69 Chevelle for a good friend which finished in Aug.04,then people started bringing different projects over for me to paint and Doug give's me a 67 Rancharo for the work on the Chevelle,more paint projects and I FINALLY got the shop cleared and am rolling the 'Bee back in before somebody drags something else up. The Rancharo would be a quicker project as it's actually drivable but I really want this 69 streetable soon.
My big problem is SPACE, I only have a 30X40 shop and an old 77 van for storage. I looking at buying a used 20' shipping container but will have to wait till this summer and my yard DRIE'S up.

The 'Bee's under the blue tarp and is closer to the door anyway....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rancharo.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	4046  
Old 02-27-2005, 05:38 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Every individual is a little different regarding how they stay focused and get from A to Z. Some do well having multiple projects going (this might be at work or it might be in their garage). Others need to do things "one at a time", finish one task then start on the next. I know I'm type number two...if I start a second project I know for a fact, I'll never complete the first one. I've GOT to go one step at a time, one thing at a time. But I know people who thrive on having multiple projects on their plate at the same time. I guess the answer is, listen to that little voice inside your head and go with what's worked for you in the past.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I'll put money on the guy or gal that has one project when it comes to completing it. When I retired and hooked up with my Bud, he had 33 projects going and all three were covered with dust and taking up valueable space in the shop. After about a week of fumbling around, I strongly urged him to pick the one he wanted finished first so I told him if he wanted me around, that was the one we were going to work on. We finished it in 6 months and then tackled the next and had it going by the end of the first year. Then I moved my 36 Coupe into the shop and we finished his third project side by side in less than two years. Right behind those were my 36 PU and his 72 Chevy PU. There have been many others that have come and gone that were not near as detailed, but focus is the way to go!!

Trees
Old 02-27-2005, 06:39 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

I like to keep a few projects going so when I get bored of one or hit a wall working on it I can work on the other ones for a bit. Also most of my projects are odd-balls which makes finding parts hard, so while trying to find "that part" I have something to keep me occupied. I'm also poor which makes finding parts in my price range harder (and no I wont sell any other projects to fund another )
Old 02-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

I may have more than average amount of projects, but they do all get finished. At this point I have 4 projects, but this winter me and my dad finished 3 ('72 GMC 3/4 ton,and two race cars), and the Cadillac is well on its way to being finished. If it wasn't for my race car (and dads) all the other projects would get done quicker.

Two of the projects are waiting on me making some more dough, I want the '32 done right, and to do a '32 Ford right you need more cash than the average project.

I'm always looking for something new, a couple weeks ago I looked at another Caddy, and a Nova. Still thinking about if I really need one of them.

I think as long as you've got the room, (2 acres is enough for mine), and your family is not starving cause of your rides, you can't have too many projects. This old tin is worth saving. I have sold quite a few old cars I got cheap and made a buck.The ones I like.... I keep. I know I won't stop looking anytime soon.

bonuts
Old 02-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Rest in peace, Deboard

Last journal entry: 38 chevy sedan
Last photo:

i know sometimes people don't have the luxury of only having one project car to work on. Take me for instance, i have a 74 Z-28 that the heads need to put back on and get running again, but my dad and i wasn't able to do that today because we had to work on his semi. Its all of the little things that you have to do that keep you from finishing up that project. Such as you run to Napa (or whoever your auto parts store is)to get a part and you end up spending an hour or so there talking to people
Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Some people have one project that is still half done when they die and others can kick out a couple or more a year. I used to be bad about always dragging home more projects and never having the money to finish any of them. I have just 2 right now and plan to take on no others until I get one of them complete. But I do have that Chopped 29 2 door body in the waiting for my next project and may accumulate a few things for it along the way. I think that keeping 2 projects going is good because you can work on one when the other is bogged down waiting for parts or money. Right now my projects are real budget minded. No fancy engine builds, cheap or free used drivelines, rusty tin I have to patch ect. My Phantom rpu is getting a 368 caddy/turbo 400 because it was a freeby from a low milage wreck. I support my projects by wisely shopping the swap meets and getting enough stuff to resell at a profit so it pays for the parts I need for my own.

I have about $350 in parts invested in this body, not counting shop materials which is probably another $100, included is a new rear panel not in the picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Willowbilly/roadsterprogress026.jpg

Sorry, nothing seems to work trying to post a picture, the attachments won't load and link to image hosting doesn't work either.

Last edited by willowbilly3; 02-28-2005 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:

trying to help out.
try that again

when you select an image, you have to hit the upload button. It took me a little while to figure that one out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadsterprogress026.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4065  
Old 02-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

You can never have too many projects. Just too many to get done all at once.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.