Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   How many of you built models as a kid? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-many-you-built-models-kid-224267.html)

MARTINSR 09-22-2012 01:42 PM

How many of you built models as a kid?
 
Where my kid is now playing video games every waking hour I was building models.

This is one of the last I built, believe it or not in a model building class in highschool!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7e5b9f7a.jpg

The hood has no hinges and wasn't setting on correctly in this photo.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2c97f125.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psba17d627.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3554a2d2.jpg

I guess I had something for mid engines as I built a real version just three years later.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Midengine.jpg

That's the steering wheel in the upper left corner.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...inecloseup.jpg

Brian

bullheimer 09-22-2012 04:00 PM

probably EVERYBODY OUR AGE HOMER!!!

it's a generational thing, like, who hadda transistor radio, or a honda 90, or..... good ol days bro.

and how many of them got lit on fire and thrown them off a cliff? musta build a zillion army tanks, battleships, airplanes, not so many cars but still plenty of them. creamed all over when those larger scale Funny car models from Revell came out.

PRO 48 fleetline 09-22-2012 04:09 PM

Funny you should mention that heres a few ive finished a few years ago!
lost art now!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...dels2106-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...dels2099-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...dels2098-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Models3022.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Models2070.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Models2013.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...33Willys-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...willysrear.jpg

TucsonJay 09-22-2012 04:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I revisited the hobby of my youth, after a street rodding neighbor showed me what him and his son were building. :-)

Drag racing was my passion then, so that's what I started building! I spent about ten years doing it, until I burned out about five years ago!

Here are a few...

painted jester 09-22-2012 04:34 PM

The old amt kits I think they were called "AMT Stylize" Had a club of custom modelers and entered many contests back in the 50s in the old Pocket mags ( like Hot rod ETC.) Do they still make the AMT kits? Now I build full size fully functional ! Its funny as young boys we modeled and as men we're builders!!!!:thumbup:

I dont know how you guys kept those models all these years!!!! My children destroyed mine years ago!!!!!
Jester

TucsonJay 09-22-2012 07:04 PM

I don't have any that I built as a kid. I gave them to my cousin who built and did contests with me. He can't remember what happened to them, since it's been about 45 years!

I still have some that I built recently, but sold many of them after they hit the magazines.

I'm giving a couple to the drag racing museums.

MARTINSR 09-22-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TucsonJay (Post 1592952)
I don't have any that I built as a kid. I gave them to my cousin who built and did contests with me. He can't remember what happened to them, since it's been about 45 years!

I still have some that I built recently, but sold many of them after they hit the magazines.

I'm giving a couple to the drag racing museums.

Holy crap, you have photos?

Brian

Irelands child 09-23-2012 06:25 AM

I built literally hundreds and have 2-3 boxes of a few partially started and several never opened kits left so when my knees and back wont let me work on or drive my car I can still 'return to my youth'. Most of mine met with a demise in the form of 2" or cherry bomb fireworks. We (my friends and I) also used some of the friction drive cars to 'customize'(the favorite was the '50's Studebaker. One model that will be built will be the 1/12 scale Model A my wife gave me 3-4 years ago - and hope it turns out looking like my '31.

Those of Jays - he pictured some a few years ago somewhere - beyond my imagination and skills:thumbup:!!!

Dave W

zbhover 09-23-2012 07:11 AM

I'm 27 and built a few models on rainy days, but got board with them because they didn't have an engine... LOL :D


Then I got into making a few small battery powered model hovercrafts and such, and then I decided to build a 1/2 scale radio controlled hovercraft:

http://www.zbcreations.com/epbimages/mmr1.JPG

It was 6' long 3' wide and had a 5hp horizontal shaft briggs on it. I think I clocked it at about 35mph a few times with my GPS.

http://www.zbcreations.com/epbimages/mmsnow2.JPG



I got lots of use out of it and later on I'd bring it to hover-ins with our full size hovercraft and all the kids loved to buzz around the parking lots and beaches. Just this year I gave it to a father and son who were trying to get into hovercrafting to fix up and get going again.


You can see the construction pics, and some more pics and vids of me using it on my website below, just click on the hovercraft banner and then the rc hover banner:

Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!


Zachb-

V8 Beetle Website:
V8 VW Beetle Resource- Follow our Hot Rod Beetle Build and Plan Yours

Hovercraft Website:
Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!

MARTINSR 09-23-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRO 48 fleetline (Post 1592917)
Funny you should mention that heres a few ive finished a few years ago!
lost art now!

Those are BEEEE-UUUU-TEEE-FUL!:thumbup:

Brian

MARTINSR 09-23-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child (Post 1593051)
I built literally hundreds and have 2-3 boxes of a few partially started and several never opened kits left so when my knees and back wont let me work on or drive my car I can still 'return to my youth'. Most of mine met with a demise in the form of 2" or cherry bomb fireworks. We (my friends and I) also used some of the friction drive cars to 'customize'(the favorite was the '50's Studebaker. One model that will be built will be the 1/12 scale Model A my wife gave me 3-4 years ago - and hope it turns out looking like my '31.

Those of Jays - he pictured some a few years ago somewhere - beyond my imagination and skills:thumbup:!!!

Dave W

Yep, I have a number of boxes of them, some of them classics from the seventies that would be worth a few bucks if I hadn't partially built them. :rolleyes: When the model came out of my truck (I would have eaten a live rat for one when I was a kid) I bought five or six of them and they are in storage.

Brian

MARTINSR 09-23-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbhover (Post 1593055)
I'm 27 and built a few models on rainy days, but got board with them because they didn't have an engine... LOL :D


Then I got into making a few small battery powered model hovercrafts and such, and then I decided to build a 1/2 scale radio controlled hovercraft:

It was 6' long 3' wide and had a 5hp horizontal shaft briggs on it. I think I clocked it at about 35mph a few times with my GPS.

I got lots of use out of it and later on I'd bring it to hover-ins with our full size hovercraft and all the kids loved to buzz around the parking lots and beaches. Just this year I gave it to a father and son who were trying to get into hovercrafting to fix up and get going again.


You can see the construction pics, and some more pics and vids of me using it on my website below, just click on the hovercraft banner and then the rc hover banner:

Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!


Zachb-

V8 Beetle Website:
V8 VW Beetle Resource- Follow our Hot Rod Beetle Build and Plan Yours

Hovercraft Website:
Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!

Very cool stuff! I love this stuff, everyone has their own thing and those hovercrafts come easy to you where at to others they are only see in the movies, so damn cool.

Brian

TucsonJay 09-23-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1593126)
Yep, I have a number of boxes of them, some of them classics from the seventies that would be worth a few bucks if I hadn't partially built them. :rolleyes: When the model came out of my truck (I would have eaten a live rat for one when I was a kid) I bought five or six of them and they are in storage.

Brian

Brian, I have a similar experience! When I got back into the hobby, I started trying to buy all of my old memories, so I bought re-releases, and swap meet kits. Now I have 100 or more... but there is a problem. I wanted to use rare parts so they would not be like everyone else's builds... or highly detailed parts... so I would pick some parts from this kit, and from that one, etc. Now I bet at least half of them are incomplete! For example, I know I robbed one block from my Mysterion kit, to build a highly detailed Ford engine. Now the next owner has a problem!

Some day I might sort through them all... see what is complete... and sell off the one's I won't build after all. {:-)

beertracker 09-23-2012 04:49 PM

As a kid I built mostly military models; M4 Sherman tank, submarines, ships, ww1 & 2 airplanes. I still have three of the car models I built; 70 & 72 Goat & 74 Gran Prix SJ. Most recent model was a B-36 bomber hanging from the ceiling.

MXrider13 09-23-2012 05:19 PM

When it came to regular model cars not very much only built a Dodge Viper and a Ford Torino (wish I kept the Viper!) I did build an F-15 once thought that a friend painted after an F-15 from a video game (its blue and white not grey).
However, I was a huge collector of Hot Wheels and I loved Legos!
I remember I built Greg Ray's Indy Car out of legos (circa 1999) as well as Al Hoffmans Firebird funny car, an 80's camaro, several dragsters, a Prerunner/Baja like truck, and a NASCAR.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.