How many of you built models as a kid? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 01:42 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 56
Posts: 13,435
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
How many of you built models as a kid?

Where my kid is now playing video games every waking hour I was building models.

This is one of the last I built, believe it or not in a model building class in highschool!



The hood has no hinges and wasn't setting on correctly in this photo.







I guess I had something for mid engines as I built a real version just three years later.



That's the steering wheel in the upper left corner.



Brian

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Trucknut (09-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM
bullheimer's Avatar
NEVER use credit cards!
 

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North of Seattle
Posts: 2,532
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
probably EVERYBODY OUR AGE HOMER!!!

it's a generational thing, like, who hadda transistor radio, or a honda 90, or..... good ol days bro.

and how many of them got lit on fire and thrown them off a cliff? musta build a zillion army tanks, battleships, airplanes, not so many cars but still plenty of them. creamed all over when those larger scale Funny car models from Revell came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:09 PM
PRO 48 fleetline's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ohio
Posts: 319
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Funny you should mention that heres a few ive finished a few years ago!
lost art now!








Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 PM
TucsonJay's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 852
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 124 Times in 95 Posts
I revisited the hobby of my youth, after a street rodding neighbor showed me what him and his son were building. :-)

Drag racing was my passion then, so that's what I started building! I spent about ten years doing it, until I burned out about five years ago!

Here are a few...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dart 2.0#-1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	68008   Click image for larger version

Name:	62-5a.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	68009   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-3# (2).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	68010   Click image for larger version

Name:	jag'rnaut-001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	68011   Click image for larger version

Name:	KKdio1 (2)-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	68012  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:34 PM
painted jester's Avatar
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
 

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Age: 68
Posts: 1,879
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 104
Thanked 317 Times in 261 Posts
The old amt kits I think they were called "AMT Stylize" Had a club of custom modelers and entered many contests back in the 50s in the old Pocket mags ( like Hot rod ETC.) Do they still make the AMT kits? Now I build full size fully functional ! Its funny as young boys we modeled and as men we're builders!!!!

I dont know how you guys kept those models all these years!!!! My children destroyed mine years ago!!!!!
Jester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 PM
TucsonJay's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 852
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 124 Times in 95 Posts
I don't have any that I built as a kid. I gave them to my cousin who built and did contests with me. He can't remember what happened to them, since it's been about 45 years!

I still have some that I built recently, but sold many of them after they hit the magazines.

I'm giving a couple to the drag racing museums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:34 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 56
Posts: 13,435
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
I don't have any that I built as a kid. I gave them to my cousin who built and did contests with me. He can't remember what happened to them, since it's been about 45 years!

I still have some that I built recently, but sold many of them after they hit the magazines.

I'm giving a couple to the drag racing museums.
Holy crap, you have photos?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,984
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 20
Thanked 242 Times in 218 Posts
I built literally hundreds and have 2-3 boxes of a few partially started and several never opened kits left so when my knees and back wont let me work on or drive my car I can still 'return to my youth'. Most of mine met with a demise in the form of 2" or cherry bomb fireworks. We (my friends and I) also used some of the friction drive cars to 'customize'(the favorite was the '50's Studebaker. One model that will be built will be the 1/12 scale Model A my wife gave me 3-4 years ago - and hope it turns out looking like my '31.

Those of Jays - he pictured some a few years ago somewhere - beyond my imagination and skills!!!

Dave W
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 AM
zbhover's Avatar
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasford, IL
Age: 29
Posts: 222
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 27 and built a few models on rainy days, but got board with them because they didn't have an engine... LOL


Then I got into making a few small battery powered model hovercrafts and such, and then I decided to build a 1/2 scale radio controlled hovercraft:



It was 6' long 3' wide and had a 5hp horizontal shaft briggs on it. I think I clocked it at about 35mph a few times with my GPS.





I got lots of use out of it and later on I'd bring it to hover-ins with our full size hovercraft and all the kids loved to buzz around the parking lots and beaches. Just this year I gave it to a father and son who were trying to get into hovercrafting to fix up and get going again.


You can see the construction pics, and some more pics and vids of me using it on my website below, just click on the hovercraft banner and then the rc hover banner:

Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!


Zachb-

V8 Beetle Website:
V8 VW Beetle Resource- Follow our Hot Rod Beetle Build and Plan Yours

Hovercraft Website:
Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:22 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 56
Posts: 13,435
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO 48 fleetline View Post
Funny you should mention that heres a few ive finished a few years ago!
lost art now!
Those are BEEEE-UUUU-TEEE-FUL!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 56
Posts: 13,435
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I built literally hundreds and have 2-3 boxes of a few partially started and several never opened kits left so when my knees and back wont let me work on or drive my car I can still 'return to my youth'. Most of mine met with a demise in the form of 2" or cherry bomb fireworks. We (my friends and I) also used some of the friction drive cars to 'customize'(the favorite was the '50's Studebaker. One model that will be built will be the 1/12 scale Model A my wife gave me 3-4 years ago - and hope it turns out looking like my '31.

Those of Jays - he pictured some a few years ago somewhere - beyond my imagination and skills!!!

Dave W
Yep, I have a number of boxes of them, some of them classics from the seventies that would be worth a few bucks if I hadn't partially built them. When the model came out of my truck (I would have eaten a live rat for one when I was a kid) I bought five or six of them and they are in storage.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 56
Posts: 13,435
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbhover View Post
I'm 27 and built a few models on rainy days, but got board with them because they didn't have an engine... LOL


Then I got into making a few small battery powered model hovercrafts and such, and then I decided to build a 1/2 scale radio controlled hovercraft:

It was 6' long 3' wide and had a 5hp horizontal shaft briggs on it. I think I clocked it at about 35mph a few times with my GPS.

I got lots of use out of it and later on I'd bring it to hover-ins with our full size hovercraft and all the kids loved to buzz around the parking lots and beaches. Just this year I gave it to a father and son who were trying to get into hovercrafting to fix up and get going again.


You can see the construction pics, and some more pics and vids of me using it on my website below, just click on the hovercraft banner and then the rc hover banner:

Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!


Zachb-

V8 Beetle Website:
V8 VW Beetle Resource- Follow our Hot Rod Beetle Build and Plan Yours

Hovercraft Website:
Zach Bell’s Creations - Hovercrafts, Woodworking, V8 Beetles, and more!
Very cool stuff! I love this stuff, everyone has their own thing and those hovercrafts come easy to you where at to others they are only see in the movies, so damn cool.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 AM
TucsonJay's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 852
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 124 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep, I have a number of boxes of them, some of them classics from the seventies that would be worth a few bucks if I hadn't partially built them. When the model came out of my truck (I would have eaten a live rat for one when I was a kid) I bought five or six of them and they are in storage.

Brian
Brian, I have a similar experience! When I got back into the hobby, I started trying to buy all of my old memories, so I bought re-releases, and swap meet kits. Now I have 100 or more... but there is a problem. I wanted to use rare parts so they would not be like everyone else's builds... or highly detailed parts... so I would pick some parts from this kit, and from that one, etc. Now I bet at least half of them are incomplete! For example, I know I robbed one block from my Mysterion kit, to build a highly detailed Ford engine. Now the next owner has a problem!

Some day I might sort through them all... see what is complete... and sell off the one's I won't build after all. {:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 PM
quadrajunk, best junk there is
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 367
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
As a kid I built mostly military models; M4 Sherman tank, submarines, ships, ww1 & 2 airplanes. I still have three of the car models I built; 70 & 72 Goat & 74 Gran Prix SJ. Most recent model was a B-36 bomber hanging from the ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM
MXrider13's Avatar
The Dude
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 156
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
When it came to regular model cars not very much only built a Dodge Viper and a Ford Torino (wish I kept the Viper!) I did build an F-15 once thought that a friend painted after an F-15 from a video game (its blue and white not grey).
However, I was a huge collector of Hot Wheels and I loved Legos!
I remember I built Greg Ray's Indy Car out of legos (circa 1999) as well as Al Hoffmans Firebird funny car, an 80's camaro, several dragsters, a Prerunner/Baja like truck, and a NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I like all makes and models robertog Introduce Yourself 3 08-16-2009 03:05 PM
Painting models pavetim Body - Exterior 2 02-13-2009 11:32 PM
3D CAD Models proguru Engine 1 07-18-2007 12:54 PM
hotrod models kaddy Introduce Yourself 3 07-30-2006 11:14 PM
3D Models (New to the forum as well) Kromulous Introduce Yourself 2 10-13-2004 08:19 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.