How to measure toe-in for 1932 hot rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 06:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to measure toe-in for 1932 hot rod

Guys
My '32 has a dropped beam axle, SoCal hairpins etc and I understand that the steering should be set with approx 1/4" toe-in.

This may seem an obvious question, but where do you measure the toe-in? Do you measure between front and back edges of the wheel rims and take the difference, or between the tyres, or between a straight edge placed on the tyres? - ie the further you go from the wheel centre the bigger the difference will be.

Grateful for advice, Limey

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

There are several ways to do this.

What I have done is measure the distance half way up the tire and from the center of the tires both in the front and rear of the tires. Then adjust the tie rod so that the front measurement is the amount of toe-in that I want. The front measurement should end up being the shorter distance. With Ford spindles I usually set it at 1/8th inch toe-in.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:27 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

An easy way, is to take a silver Sharpie marker, and make an X mark(Or a vertical line) in the center of the tread on each tire at the 3 Oclock position. Measure from X to X. Then roll the car back 1/2 of a tire rotation, so the X is now at 9 oclock. Measure again. Viola! The point of making a mark on the tire, is so that you are measure from an identical reference point. An old alignment guy showed me that trick.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

My Father showed me this on my 54 f-100.Same thing as Frisco said,but this is how he showed me a good place to measure from.Raise the front tires up and spin it and take a tire marker,crayon,etc.and place it in smooth part of the tread,do the same to the other side and go all the way around till they meet.Or use spray paint and go all the way around and then place a screwdriver in the center of the paint and spin it to get a good mark.Then measure the back of the tire and front and toe in 1/8 or 1/4.This a daily driver so I don,t know if you want paint on the center of a tire that is a showcar.This may sound kind of shade tree but it does work.It is just the easiest way for me to find a reference.I hope I expained this well.Just spin the tire and mark the center with something while holding your arm steady until you have been all the way around.This has worked for me.I am sure you will get some more suggestions also.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

These are great tips thanks. I'll give it a go but I think my problem is that I won't get a clear measure between the back edge of the tires as the engine is in the way.
I guess I could bend up a piece of thick flat bar (to reach around the engine) and adjust it to just touch between the front edge of the tires, then hold it to the rear edge and measure the gap? (which should be 1/8" to 1/4")
Limey
Old 03-11-2005, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

I managed to get a tape measure between the rears of the tyres and it looks like I was running almost 1/2" toe-in, so that's a job well done. No wonder it used to wander about at times!
Limey
Old 03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

For future referance. Drop a plumb bob from the center mark off of the front and back of the tire.place a mark on the floor at the point of the bob. Then measure the marks on the floor.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

A buddy of mine has on old military toe gauge. It's a spring loaded rod, with a small chain @ each end. You put it between the front tires, so the chains just touch the floor. It has a scale on the inner tube. You read the scale, them rol the vehicle forward, until the chains again just touch the floor. Read the scale, add or subtract, and viola. toe in measurement.

I've been thinking of making one out of an old closet rod, or shower curtain rod.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM

Last journal entry: Buick
Last photo:

Try reading this site.

http://www.shallowsky.com/alignment.html

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.