Hot Rod Forum banner

How to mount Winch in Garage

27K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  41'srfun 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I would like to mount a winch in my garage to allow me to move non running cars in and out of my garage. My garage is level, but the driveway is a 10% grade downhill. Pushing a fully assembled hot rod/ Muscle car that is not running back up the hill is impossible for just me.

My thought was to mount a winch either in the floor at the back of the garage or on the wall down low. Both the floor and walls of my garage or poured concrete (at least 4" thick re-bar reinforced as per code), the garage wall is 6 feet underground.

I was thinking something like this would work

120V AC Electric Winch w/ Remote Control

As all cars will be able to roll freely, I think this could easily winch a 1964 Impala up the hill as all it has to overcome is the rolling resistance.

I am not sure where or how to mount this winch, on the floor or wall, and do I use concrete lag bolts? How far should the go in the concrete?

Your ideas are appreciated!

Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
Hole ?

I just drilled a few 1/2 holes in the floor at an angle, then I poke a jack handle in the hole, I loop a chain over the handle and have a large cable pulley on the end of the chain . I have about 100 ft of old 3/8 winch cable and use the truck backing up to pull something into the shop. In one shop I poked a piece of rebar thru the end of a chain then hung the other end of the chain on the wall when we poured the floor. My shop is 120 x 40 , the holes where we need one.

#3 ·
i use one of the small 12 volt winches that goes over a trailer ball , i use the bracket it came with and put a 3/4" anchor into the floor. when i need it i screw the bolt in and hook the winch plate over the bolt . pulls my 59 chevy up into my garage whenever i need . you can find these winches at harbor freight, or northern tools usually under $100. some even come with power in and power out

#7 ·
I use a similar winch (12v)to pull heavy carts up a loading ramp on one of my trailers. I put a series of holes in a straight line in the floor so I can make a pull in front of whatever is loaded behind me. I mounted the winch on a plate with a arm welded on the back. I then welded a pin through the arm and a handle above the winch. I drop the pin into whichever hole is in front of my load and make the pull. Everything loaded, the winch unplugs from the power cord and is stored away. This way you don't have to move anything to get at the winch.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#9 ·
I'm getting ready to mount a winch to my shops floor too I'll be using the hf remote winch but I'll mount it in such a way that I can quickly remove it from the shop and plop it onto my car trailer,too cheap to buy two. My shop is actually a warehouse with a 2' high loading bay for trucks , I use the ramps from and old 4 post lift so I can drive a car up in the shop ...its a bit tough getting a car inside that dont run.
what I'm wondering is will that HF winch be able to winch a car DOWN the ramps as well...I not such a great mechanic...:(

#10 ·
You will need to have power out as well as power in.. In other words the winch can run in reverse as well as in lift to do what you want.. If you are going to use the winch on the car trailer you will need one that works on 12 volt.

Sam

#12 ·
I have a portable Warn winch that I use in my garage to bring cars up the steep driveway. I installed "flushells" which are female 3/8"-16 threaded shells in the floor. I traced the winch mounting pattern on the floor, and then drilled and installed the flushells in the floor. When I need the winch I simply bolt it to the holes and use it. When not in use I leave the 3/8" bolts in the holes to keep dirt out.
Drilling your anchors into the floor will make a stronger setup, than the wall. More shear strength, vs. straight pull on the wall.

#13 ·
Wench in Garage

Put your wench in the floor. Do not put in wall, a friend tried that and he pulled down his block wall. I know you said you had a poured concrete wall . I have a block wall and I put my pipe in the center of the floor at the rear of the garage. I drilled a series of holes in the floor, 6" diameter, with my hammer drill, then busted out the concrete. Then I used a post hole digger to dig down 24" , then drove a 3" diameter steel pipe 60" into the ground, about 24" leaving 12" above the surface. Then I poured concrete in the hole, I bought a electric wench { Badland , at Harbor Freight }, hooked it up per instructions and I used an extra car battery to operate it. It all works fine, and no water in my basement

#14 ·
I took an old receiver hitch and cut it down and welded it to the front rail of my car trailer. I bought a 5000 lb. winch from HF and mounted it to a small plate with a short piece of square tubing on the bottom of it. I keep the winch in the tool box of my pickup most of the time and when I need it I can just slide it in the receiver on the trailer or on the back of my truck, if I need to. One of these days I'm going to put another one on the front of the truck so I can use when I'm in a bind and can't move the truck. I also intend to put one in my shop to pull cars inside. But I have pipe posts inside it that I can weld a piece of tubing to. If I couldn't do that I would build another receiver mount and mount it to the floor with anchor bolts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.