How much is a 1967 SS Chevelle (138) body worth? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How much is a 1967 SS Chevelle (138) body worth?

It is in very rough condition, alot of rot is noticed throughout the car, and some minor dents are in the left front fender and in the roof. It is an automatic car, and the transmission is still in it, but no motor. A shed that the car was under, fell on it during Hurricane Hugo, and it dented the roof in, but didnot crinkle it. The car was placed out into the woods, where it has been ever since then. There are no bucket seats in it, just the center console is left inside by what I saw. There is a gaping hole in the drivers side floor board.

Left side is not bad with the rot, but the right side is bad along the bottom of the car, as well as where the roof meets the bodyline behind the side back glass also a bit of rot there to, but the back panel below the back glass is good (AMazing really) . Alot of surface rust all over also. The car is black, and looks as if it was a beauty once upon a time.

The guy wants $600.00 dollars for the car as is, but I hesitated on it. What do you all think? It hasn't been wrecked it apears, other than the shed falling on it. The title is also lost..

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

body

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle9
It is in very rough condition, alot of rot is noticed throughout the car, and some minor dents are in the left front fender and in the roof. It is an automatic car, and the transmission is still in it, but no motor. A shed that the car was under, fell on it during Hurricane Hugo, and it dented the roof in, but didnot crinkle it. The car was placed out into the woods, where it has been ever since then. There are no bucket seats in it, just the center console is left inside by what I saw. There is a gaping hole in the drivers side floor board.

Left side is not bad with the rot, but the right side is bad along the bottom of the car, as well as where the roof meets the bodyline behind the side back glass also a bit of rot there to, but the back panel below the back glass is good (AMazing really) . Alot of surface rust all over also. The car is black, and looks as if it was a beauty once upon a time.

The guy wants $600.00 dollars for the car as is, but I hesitated on it. What do you all think? It hasn't been wrecked it apears, other than the shed falling on it. The title is also lost..

Thanks
The way it sounds to me I would just let it rust right into the dirt, that is unless you want to build a car around a console, but that woul;d be a lot of time and a lot more money.

Bob
Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Well maybe that isn't so bad if you can get it for like 450 or 500. I suppose all you have to do is bang it around with a hammer, add some metal, fiber glass and bondo and maybe send it to a frame puller and that may not even be all that much money. Too bad it's an automatic though. I'd love to find that car in manual with the engine healthy enough for a rebuild. That'd be pure money.
I'd probably pay 2500 for a **** box of a chevelle non-ss in stick, but with no collision damage. I don't know what to think about your roof.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Yes, I may see if he wants to just about give me the car

that would be the only way I will be interested enough to try anything with it.

I am just to old really, to start a project that would take me till I am in my sixites, in order to get any where close to seeing any results much.. In my late 40's now..

I will let yall know what happens next... Thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Ofcource, I haven't seen the car. But people always feel that restoring a car is something that takes a decade to do but if you were focus'ed and you knew what you were doing every time you woke up in the morning, than you could get it ready for paint in a week. The interior is a different story and I'd personally either get professionals to do it or I'd just cut a lot of weight and have a really crappy light interior to give the car a little more performance.
With today's technology, rust isn't that big of a deal and I'm sure aftermarket chevelle parts are all over the place. But you have to make sure you can get the frame 100% before you even think of buying that car.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM

I agree... It was a dream of mine to own a 67 SS since I was a teenager..

I used to marvel over some in which I saw locally on the scene as a teen, and this I mean back in the cruisen days. A fella used to come to town with a black one that had a 427 engine in it, auto tranny, ladder bar suspension, crager ss mags, and it was balanced & blue printed along with the build back in 1975. That thing would sit there and chop like crazy, but you could lay your hand on the fender, and barely feel any vibration at all while it was running. He sold that car for ten grand back in 1976. I saw this one sitting there as of late, and it reminded me of that car, so I asked about it. I just don't have the facility to do the work myself much these days, even though I have most of the tools I would need to do alot of the work, and I think still the know how. My shop got destroyed along time ago, but my heart is still in these cars or hotrodding still yet.. I guess it makes me feel young again, and it even gets me in contact with sme that have never quit with their passion to this day.

Thanks again..
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'd buy it in a heart beat...Sure I'd try to get him down a bit but you cant go wrong even if you crushed it its worth 400 ez...scrap is running at 15.00 a hundred here...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

You will put more money into it rather than if you go out and buy a car already finished or a project someone has given up on.

Unless you have alot of talent and willpower, that thing will end up unfinished in your garage.
Everyone starts off gung ho but do you really have what it takes to complete it?

Just throwing this out because rose colored glasses are quite powerful.
People see where the project can go and jump on it not realizing the tremendous cost and time involved.

If you decide to go for it, we'll be here with any advice you may need.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 AM

Pugs is right, we forget how hard it is for someone without years of experiance.although there are ways to get around the outragous costs of building a car there are no ways to cut the tremendous amounts of time.As a matter of fact the less money you spend the more time it will take..Got any pics of this SS ?????
Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Pugs is right, we forget how hard it is for someone without years of experiance.although there are ways to get around the outragous costs of building a car there are no ways to cut the tremendous amounts of time.As a matter of fact the less money you spend the more time it will take..Got any pics of this SS ?????
I see you came around to my way of thinking. I knew I could win someone over.

DBM is right, should see some pictures, but I don't think it is worth, the time or trouble, like I said in my first post. That is if it looks like he said.

Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Yea, you could probably buy one cheaper done and yea, you probably won't get your money back out of it if you want to sell it.

But, there's something about bringing back a rusty hulk from the dead and giving it new life. If it's a car you really want and have the drive and determination to rebuild it, I'd say go for it.

If that car was by me for $600, I'd prolly buy it. What you guys in the south think are rusted beyond repair is pristine condition for us northerners.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Yea, you could probably buy one cheaper done and yea, you probably won't get your money back out of it if you want to sell it.

But, there's something about bringing back a rusty hulk from the dead and giving it new life. If it's a car you really want and have the drive and determination to rebuild it, I'd say go for it.

If that car was by me for $600, I'd prolly buy it. What you guys in the south think are rusted beyond repair is pristine condition for us northerners.
I don't think it was the rust, I think it was the stuff that was rotted through and the shed that fell on it. I'm farther north than you, have brought back some pretty bad cars, but today with the cost of things, some are just not worth it, and you won't get your money out of a car like that. You have a better chance with one that is done or partly done, than starting with almost nothing. $600 is not much but when you have to buy most all the body parts, and I don't think he said what the frame is like, If it has one, no motor, way too much money and time, you would have to work on it full time, he said he didn't want that.

Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead

Stillwater ???? I know it well,I grew up in Saratoga. Thats where I learned all about dead, rusted out hulks.I agree with you, here in Ga they thought I was crazy for rebuilding some of the wrecks I've done.I owe all my metalworking skills to working with rust. so I say ,nothing ventured nothing learned...Thats what a good hobby is all about ,right? having fun and enjoying yourself,if you dont really enjoy the work dont buy it but if like the work and enjoy learning new things go for it,metalworking is a great hobby,very addicting but a great hobby.I'm one of the lucky ones I even get paid to do it....
I dont imagine there would be too many people lining up to buy this car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car5.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	58512   Click image for larger version

Name:	img011.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	58513  
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Hey Dead.

I can't believe the stuff you touch.

The Chevelle the OP mentioned sounds like ''rust free'' for you.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM

I will try and get a pic of this car for you all to evaluate as well...

This guy had two more 67 Chevelle (138) car bodies under a shed by his house as well, but I ain't so sure if he will budge on these two or not.. He didn't even talk about these two cars while we were there, even though we could see them from the vantage point that we had during the visit, and we tried to get him to speak about them while we had his attention, but he acted like they were off limits as far as a sell would go in that direction..

Oh well... It's all good fun anyways ya know, otherwise just messing around with these old cars again some.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.