Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much atf should my ford c6 take

16K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Trucknut 
#1 ·
Hi all . I am now running in my trans with the wheels off and axle jacked up as its never had any use since the rebuild. I have a oil cooler to the front of the car ( radiator type ) i currently have around 6 litres in it and have had it running through the gears but i have been told to check the level whilst its running ? Ie opposite to how you check the engine oil .

What do they normally hold ? Its a c6 with reverse shift pattern. B +m high stall torque converter @2800 rpm

cheers guys

#2 ·
Just did a search on the forum and found a post that states around 13 quarts, well 1 q is 1.13 litres , and i have around 6l so far and seems to have another 8 odd litres to go. If this is the case how do i get it to work around the auto box ? Do i just keep adding or do i wait until it shows on the dip stick that it needs more. Am afraid to run it dry

#4 ·
hi all . i had the car running today jacked up on axle stands . run through all of the gears and in reverse . its taken around 6 liters . my concern is that i thought it takes more ? and i also have a trans cooler in front of my radiator . albiet its small .

so will the gearbox fluid - pump around the external cooler raditor ok ?

cheers

#9 ·
IMO, do not overfill it at any time.

Did you drain the convertor or did you just drop the pan?
C-6's usually have a removable plug on the convertor, which can be accessed through the back side of the flex-plate.

As far as plumbing you trans cooler:

Automatic transmission cooler guide and installation

Transmission Cooler Quick Guide & installation
The most often asked question is should I bypass the radiator cooler when I install a auxillary cooler.
Most cooler manufactures and automobile manufactures information we have read, recommends installing the coolers In-Series with the factory radiator cooler for maxium cooling efficiency.
So unless the manufactures who have spent 1000's of hours testing different installations are wrong, the suggested cooler installation is in-series......
Transmission > Radiator cooler > Auxillary cooler > then Back to the transmission.
If you must bypass the radiator because the cooler tube is leaking or for other reasons, be sure to increase the size cooler you install by 1 to 2 sizes.
When I worked for Ford, I recall a TSB advising that dealers should always install an "H-Fitting" in the line if the vehicle was equipped with a tranny cooler, particulary in cold-climate regions like ours.

This fitting was designed so that the tranny would not be starved for oil due to cold-temperature oil viscosity. Tru-Cool brand coolers have a similar technology built right into their "LPD" series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.