How Much is the average 32? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How Much is the average 32?

Ok well I'm new here and I'm 14. My dream car would be a 32 ford. First off, somebody please clarify the different ford models of the time period. What is a 32 ford coupe. And then they have model a's and it's pretty confusing. All I know is that I absolutely love the chopped 32s without fenders and big slicks. I also like 3 windows over 5. My question is is anything close to what I'm saying possible for a first car? I'm thinking a fiberglass 3 window, with a big block. I would wanna take it to the strip. I would drive it to shcool everyday though. Don't know if they're even possibly everyday cars. Looks like they can't have wipers or the right lights lol. I could probably get 7000 out of my parents and have 4k in toys to sell. All work would be free since I could do a lot of it and have a master mechanic uncle. Not looking for things like 10k dollar paint jobs or chrome everywhere. I know I sound insane just think it would be awesome to drive that bad boy to shcool. Also would be fun to smoke some ricers on the way home. Everyone has to have civics with exhausts and I just can't stand it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Actually I'd rather a steel or original body but both are a bit pricey.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpenrose View Post
Ok well I'm new here and I'm 14. My dream car would be a 32 ford. First off, somebody please clarify the different ford models of the time period. What is a 32 ford coupe. And then they have model a's and it's pretty confusing. All I know is that I absolutely love the chopped 32s without fenders and big slicks. I also like 3 windows over 5. My question is is anything close to what I'm saying possible for a first car? I'm thinking a fiberglass 3 window, with a big block. I would wanna take it to the strip. I would drive it to shcool everyday though. Don't know if they're even possibly everyday cars. Looks like they can't have wipers or the right lights lol. I could probably get 7000 out of my parents and have 4k in toys to sell. All work would be free since I could do a lot of it and have a master mechanic uncle. Not looking for things like 10k dollar paint jobs or chrome everywhere. I know I sound insane just think it would be awesome to drive that bad boy to shcool. Also would be fun to smoke some ricers on the way home. Everyone has to have civics with exhausts and I just can't stand it.
Young man, you have made my day! I too remember asking such questions when I was 14. Let's take a little trip back in time......

The most memorable of Henry's cars is probably the Model T, made from about 1908 to 1927. Some 15 million of them were made. The most popular with the hot rod crowd is probably the '26/'27 roadster......
Randy Asplund Historical Art 1926 Ford Model T
Here is a collage of other Model T's.....
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ml%3B600%3B450

The Model A followed the Model T and was only in production for 4 years (1928 to 1931). There were sedans (to carry 4 or more people), coupes (to carry only 2 people) and roadsters (to carry only 2 people). Also, there were pickups and roadster pickups. Think of a roadster as a convertible.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...88.I0DquJJKKIo

The Model B was a one-year-only model, 1932. It was the first year for Ford to offer a V8. Previous years had all used an inline 4 cylinder motor.
They came in sedans, coupes, pickups, roadster pickups and probably a couple of models that I'm forgetting 'cause I'm just skimming over the top for you.....
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...49.mvAkOEpGrTo

You're thinking along the right track in my opinion, foregoing chrome, fancy paint and other stuff that has nothing to do with the way the car operates. Quite often, the best way to shoehorn yourself into an early rod is to find a project that has gone south for the builder because of a lack of funds to really get started with it. I would not recommend that you begin your project with a brand new glass body from a high-buck manufacturer. Check craigslist in your locale and around your state. If you like the '32, then click on cars for sale and type in 1932, then search. Or click on parts for sale and do the same.

The way I kept track of the different years was by the radiator shell.....
Here's a Model T shell....
Google Image Result for http://www.lonepinemodelt.com/image/cache/data/items/003-500x500.JPG

Here's an early Model A ('28-'29).....
Google Image Result for http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/14/91122101_R_1715b901.jpg

Here's a late Model A ('30-'31)....it was taller....
Google Image Result for http://www.fordor.com/product_images/lg/0227651F.jpg

Here's a Model B.....
Google Image Result for http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/tech/1012sr_1932_ford_grille_shell/35044230+pheader_460x1000/1012sr_01_o+1932_ford_grille_shell+grille.jpg

Don't be confused by it all. Some guys will confuse you by mounting a B radiator shell on a T or an A model. You'll learn to tell the difference. The most beautiful shell in my opinion is the '28 A Model shell. I used one of them on the T roadster I built. Originally, they were chromed from the factory, but are just as nice looking when painted body color.....
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=552

I have a copy of Chester Greenbaugh's book, which outlines the building a T-Bucket for under $4,000. I don't know if that interests you or not, but I might be willing to send it to you free of charge if you would like to try building a bucket. The book is in storage, so it would take a few days to find it. Here are some pics of T-Buckets......Now, don't get all bug-eyed, I doubt that any of these rods were built for under $4K.......
https://www.google.com/search?bav=on...&um=1&imgdii=_

This yellow car is a T Tub roadster.....carry more folks.....
http://www.tbucketplans.com/1927-t-b...roject-part-1/

Last edited by techinspector1; 09-15-2013 at 10:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
dsgb610 (09-16-2013), johnnyg (09-17-2013), RWENUTS (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

ok this is just to give you an idea on what one is worth. this is just the steel body it is a five window. hit this link .

Ford : Other NA in Ford | eBay Motors
Old 09-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

build an OTF

Other Than Ford , Ford bodies are expensive especially 32's, I have a Glass 32 project up in the top of the shop, a some day project. you don't list where you are located, My son bought some late 20;s metal quarter panels for $ 50 and found a cowl out in the desert south of Bonneville Free, I found an 31 Nash out in the desert FREE. It's a lot of work to put a body together, but if you read cBoys Free Ebook at the top of the page, the scratch built hot rod. I'll try to post some picts
Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM

31 nash

I made some new panels and the louvered deck lid, I still need to follow Cboys instructions and build the doors.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 AM

another pict

another pict
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I applaud your interest in starting with a '32 Ford, regardless of fiberglass or steel. But I'm not sure if you could even get a glass '32 fiberglass coupe body for the $11,000 you'd get from selling "toys" and parents gift. '32 Fords are the most desirable hotrod base around, and extremely over inflated pricing.
It is possible you might find a glass project that someone has given up on for that price, if you're patient, and save up the cash to be ready when one does come along. But it might be a long wait!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

If a 30's hotrod is what you seek... I'de do something/anything other than a 32 Ford. Just too dang much $$.
Like mentioned elsewhere... an "off brand" body can be found for much less. Heck, even a Model A can be reasonable.
I have a buddy with a 30 Dodge Brothers "rat rod style" sedan that is sweet. He has maybe $10k into it and drives it everywhere.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Can you guys give me a specific list of things that are big price wise like you know trans and stuff. I wanna add up the price then add like 2k because that's just how it works.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Good to see a young guy interested in something other than a ricer.

A little advice from past history. I bought my first car 38 years ago at the age of 14 with yard mowing / birthday money that I had saved over about a 3 - 4 year period. It was a running, driving 48 Plymouth Business Coupe. No it was not exactly what I wanted which was an early 30's Mopar, but it got me started.

It was a car that I could learn on that would get me around. It allowed me to do a lot of the little things that an old car needs without having to worry about designing / welding brackets, frames etc. Drove it for about 3 years with the stock flathead, then built a very strong 383 / 727 and shoehorned it in after I had some basic experience. Eventually got an offer on the car that I couldn't refuse, minus motor/transmission which I kept and put in a 73 Cuda. Traded the Cuda for a 34 Plymouth Coupe with a 318 the car I had always wanted (your 32 Ford) and dreamed of.

Guess what? I am now back in another 48 Plymouth Coupe with a hot rodded flathead six and love it. I don't see 20 more cars like mine at every show or cruise. It rides and drives great. There is actually room in the car to stretch out a bit unlike an early 30's.

I guess the moral to this story is start small and learn as you go. 32's are great, don't get me wrong, but they can also eat through a build budget in about the time it would take your big block 32 to get through the traps on the drag strip. A new glass coupe body will run you $6,000 plus, add in the expense of a frame, suspension, engine, transmission and your $11,000 budget is gone long before you ever get it to a driving stage. Use a decent original body and your budget will suffer even more.

Expand your horizons a bit and look at something other than a 32. You may be surprised at what you can find for a decent price. Get you something that can get you into the hobby and offer a learning experience. Then as your budget allows and you still have that dream of a 32 coupe, step up to fulfill your dream. You may find yourself right back where you started one day like I have.

Good luck what ever you decide.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:48 PM

27 rpu budget

My grandson's 27 T roadster pickup budget, basic pieces, Model A ford frame $ 100, box and new crosmembers $ 300. lincoln front beam suspension from old hay wagon, $ 25, rebuild $200. beater chevy V8 pickup for engine , trans, rear end $ 800, Model A ford pickup bed from old trailer $ 75 (needs a new tailgate ). 27 T roadster Cowl FREE, find or build the rest of the bucket $ ??? almost a roller and running
for about $1500, Then it's time for paint, upholstery, new windshield.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Can you guys give me a specific list of things that are big price wise like you know trans and stuff. I wanna add up the price then add like 2k because that's just how it works.
I've always found that deciding on a car and drive train was the best way to start. I've also tried to purchase a donor car that matched the drive train I wanted first, as it's almost always cheaper than just buying all the pieces individually. A donor car can often be purchased for under $1500 and if you get the right car, you can have engine, trans, and even rearend from that one car. A big savings over thousands of dollars for the same items separately!
You might also end up with a good steering column and steering box that can be used, not to mention the parts you could sell off the car, and scrap value of the donor once you're done with it.
I did one project with a donor that when I finished selling parts and scrapping the car, I had zero dollars into the drivetrain from it.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Like I was saying before, I don't really care about anything besides it being fast and semi-reliable. If it has to look like a ratrod for a bit then I'd be fine with that. My uncle has some magical resources where I can obtain many of the big things for free or cheap. He just built a 93 ramcharger that looks pretty good using almost new tires which he got for a great price, used rear, and more used things for 700 all in. That's what I'm looking for. A maybe 80s mustang or camaro donor would work maybe?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
I don't really care about anything besides it being fast and semi-reliable.
Once you've been in this hobby for a while, you'll re-define your needs with reliable and semi-fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (09-16-2013)

Tags
32 coupe

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.