How much for a beat up little ratrod like this? - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52RodTruck
Why does someone always have to **** on someone else's idea. So you don't like rat rods, I don't f**king like billet and 50K ***** boxes that that a**hole Boyd, or foose, or any of those other guys makes, however, i don't feel the need to bash the rods, or anybody that likes 'em. Granted, there are some rat rods out there that aren't safe, but there's also the same number high dollar rods that are just as bad. I work in in a autoparts store, and see first hand how people jury rig something because it costs a few extra bucks to buy the right part, and some of those parts go on hot rods. If a guy wants to build a rat rod, then why not just say, ok, it's not my thing, but whatever! Oh well, I guess as long as somebody's doing something with the old cars and not letting them waste away, that'll keep places like this, where people can discuss what they like or dislike going. That's my .02 for whatever it's worth.
First, if you're going to hang around here please learn to express yourself without profanity.

Second, I think you missed the point. Most all the comments here aren't directed at "rat rods" as much as they are directed against those who build unsafe "rat rods". Unfortunately the number of rat rods that are unsafe is quite high when compared to muscle cars or conventional street rods. Bottom line I don't think too many people here care what someone builds as long as it's safe.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Last journal entry: plugging away
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

roots or lack of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod I think this a pretty good definition to end this and go back to buildin cars ehhhhhh
Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Face it, the "rat rod" trend has only contributed to getting young people invovled in hot rodding again, compared to before where the sheer amount of money needed to build a rod was enough to scare of anyone under 25.

Mike
I agree, Mike and I have stated the same thing before. I was hesitant to get into building a hot rod (pre '48) because all the cars I saw in magazines and shows were chromed out and candy coated. When I first noticed rat rods, I laughed at them and thought they were out of place for not being expensive looking. But, the one thing that did impress me was the philosophy of the people who had built them. The "do what you can with what you got" credo made a whole lot of sense to me. I just wish I could have figured it out for myself 20 years ago. That said, cutting corners to save a buck is great. I'm doing it now. Just don't do it and end up with something that could get someone killed.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Face it, the "rat rod" trend has only contributed to getting young people invovled in hot rodding again, compared to before where the sheer amount of money needed to build a rod was enough to scare of anyone under 25.

Mike
Possibly being the youngest here I can say I dont like rat rods. I dont like the styling at all. And anyone that says its old school styling is just flat out wrong. "Old School" Was not rusted through unfinished unpainted turd wagons. Im sure some effort is made while making them but they sure dont look like it.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

Whew, I went back and read all X# of pages of this thread. I see some of the guys who I feel usually give a positive contribution to any thread that they post to and have done so this time also. I also see a few folks who somewhere miss reality.
Notice one thing about the vehicle in the original post in the thread,= no visable license plates. and what look like attatchment points for a tow bar on the front axle.
How many of these "Old Skool" rat rods have you actually seen photos of bopping down the highway? Somewhere between very few and none.
As mentioned by someone else, most of them are trailered in, unloaded and then manouvered into place to serve as a lifestyle accessory for the weekend.
As for these "rat Rods" selling for big bucks on ebay and other places. We live in the land of instant gratification. People are willing to pay out real cash to join in on the fun when they arn't capable or willing to put together a car to participate. "gee wizz, Look at me, I paid 18K for something that some guy in Topika spent 400 on and spent 3 weeks putting together, but man it has a high bubba factor.

To me half the fun of building a low buck rod is the hunt. What can I get for hauling it off? What can I trade for?
I know 350 Chev engines are belly button engines but I can buy a complete rebuild kit for the one in the garage and that includes cam, lifters and pistons for just a bit more than the overhaul gasket set is going to cost for that 56 Desoto Hemi in the milkhouse. Old odd ball engines are costly to do major work on for the mostpart. Fantastic Kewl factor but it costs.
There is still old tin around in decent shape for a decent price if one is willing to hunt for it. And plenty of it that isn't in decent shape. That tall T truck cab in my back lot will take several hours of work to get the damage of a long ago wreck repaired before the hotrodding ever starts but I paid 10.00 for it at an auction because I thought what the heck I'll open the bidding on it. The intent is a little low buck truck that I can drive anywhere in a bit of comfort, (The comfort part remains to be seen) with safety and reliability.
I would like a flathead in it but it wil probably end up with a 4banger out of some rear wheel drive compact car. The budget is 1200 less tires. I see no reason that I can't come in within that budget. It won't be fancy but it will be safe and presentable.

I have always thought that a "rat rod" should be an artfull exercise in scrounging.
That stock I beam axle that someone pulls out of his car to put the tricky slicky independent front end in. New king pins and redo the brakes if needed and it is ready to go. same for the rear axle. get the one that your buddy pulled out to put the super wammy California big name pro built axle. He spends over a k and you get his old one for hauling it away and beer money.
The truck in the second photo is I believe the Billy Gibbons truck. Many bucos spent to have a truck that looks it was built on a generic beer budget.
put a sectioned 36 pickup grill shell on it, paint it bright blue an you almost have the truck that a local service station owner drove and raced in the 50's aearly 60's.
Engine, there are always some cars around with good engines and transmissions that will go for cheaps. Maybe the neighbor down the street's 15 year old van that got hit in the rear quarter and isn't worth the cost of the body work necessary to fix it. But you can drive it home, do a tuneup and use it to chase and store parts untill you are ready to pull the engine for your low buck rod.
Body, frame= again left overs or something picked up for little or nothing.
I can't see paying a thousand bucks for a truck just to roll the cab off and use the chassis. I can see towing a mid 70's Datsun, Luv or toyota pickup home for free and rolling the body off and using the chassis
I have always felt that I can learn something from looking at most any car that may be usefull to me later.
It may be an idea that I might use, It may be the challenge to improve my efforts and do things just a bit better than I was going to. It may be something as simple as "don't ever consider building a pos like that"

People seem to enjoy bashing the name pros but if one really wants to build a super nice car in his own garage he can view their designs and work as a mark to strive fot. The main difference between those cars and the normal nice car is attention to detail and someone willing to pay fot that attention.
How many times have you told your self "Ah Crap, no one will see that anyhow, I'm not going to spend the extra time to get it perfect.

Last edited by Chopt 48; 01-19-2007 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:23 PM
John

old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRattle
Possibly being the youngest here I can say I dont like rat rods. I dont like the styling at all. And anyone that says its old school styling is just flat out wrong. "Old School" Was not rusted through unfinished unpainted turd wagons. Im sure some effort is made while making them but they sure dont look like it.
You're entitled to your opinion and your right when you say you are young, to young to know what a ratrod was back in the day. These cars that you see today are the ratrods of yesterday but obviuosly older so it stands to reason that some of them are rotted out. Consider this it is better to reserect them than crush them and if some want to turn them into a ratrod and others into show cars as long as we make them safe who are we to judge. Remember you young guys are gonna be the ambassadors of the hotrodding indstry in the future so keep an open mind.

John
Old 01-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Check out this link

Came across this article and thought you might be interested. Color takes some getting used to, but it will grow on you.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...odge_roadster/

My first vehicle was a 1954 Chevy pickup that my dad and I worked on every weekend with junkyard parts. It wasn't the most reliable vehicle in the world, but it was mine and paid for in cash.

If you're looking for a way to fit it into a budget, you will need to become a regular at the salvage yard, and get to know the owner. The ones I know are willing to help, especially a young person looking to get started.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:03 PM

A good home built isn't realy all that expensive

You can build your own half way decent hot rod for only 3-4k ( with the help of ebay) that doesn't look All that bad and run's good vs this rat rod stuff that supoze to save money how much does it take to build a rat rod any way? like some of u/ said 10-30k for these rust bucket that you see in the back of feild's I thought it was to save money by building a rat rod and a flat head and your good to go. Yes I was pulled into hot rodding by the rat rod trend all ways thinking that hot rodding was high dollar stuff that old people had in there garge for 25 years trying to afford there perfet 100k '57. I know one thing it's not old school I seen and HAVE pictures of mod. A and other's at salt flat's that look nothing what we call "old school"
But after all it only my opinion.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:04 PM
User

Last photo:

A "rat" is just however you choose to build it.

Some cars are amazingly straight and rust free, but with primered bodies, others are banged up, and some are just rotted. Like...my truck, which will probably need to be dipped eventually, but right now, I'd like to...y'know, get a floor and a chassis started.

Anyway, whatever you turn a vehicle into, its better than crushing it, or letting it rust.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:12 AM

i think i read or heard somewhere a phrase which may help to silence these arguments on this topic

"to each his own"

so rather than fight, let the bone heads drive there death-traps around, perhaps they may die and leave more parts for the rest of you/us(depending on weather or not i fit the class of hotrodder)

as an addition, i heard soemthing about taking a neon and adding primier,how about rather then just adding primer you drop a v8 in it, similar to what is seen here, although this is a nightmare for metal work
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1645997&page=1

Last edited by AndieKustom; 01-21-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:53 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieKustom
..."to each his own"...so rather than fight, let the bone heads drive there death-traps around, perhaps they may die and leave more parts for the rest of you
Now if you had said "let them BUILD their death-traps..." I would have been with you 100 percent. But as soon as you say, "let them DRIVE their death-traps" on the public highways, we're right back to the safety argument and preservation of the sport.

The problem is that when one of these poorly constructed cars wipes out it can take a school bus full of kindergartners with it. And then it's no longer "to each his own", especially if one of those children is yours.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve t
i think rat rods are owners to lazy to finish the project,
yup,i agree 80%, smoke
Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

I have to agree with Cboy 100%. One bad wreck with one of these things and we end up back where we were 40 years ago.

It is one thing to have a rough and ready looking rig but it has to be built safe if one expects to drive it on public roads.

The majority of those (life style rat rods) that show up in the rags that cater to them wouldn't make it across town without being pulled over for inspection around this area. A lot of them look like poser props that are trailered in, pushed into place and won't run on a bet.
My truck is well known for never being finished, I don't even know how many different coats of primer it has had, how many different seats it has had or other pieces. it has a lot of rough edges that never seem to get taken care of but it was built to be safe and legal to drive. We won't discuss front bumper height though.

Personally I think these thing have become more a form of art than vehicles that are intended to be driven.
Pretty much the opposite end of the Pro fairground mega engined thumper that burns exotic fuel and makes a few rumpity rumpity passes through the fair grounds daily before being tucked back into it's enclosed trailer for the night but never hits a public street.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:05 AM
User

Last photo:

I wouldn't expect any of these guys to drive these on public roads more than once. Bad handling, a shoddy ride, and not very comfortable to even the most spartan of people.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Frosty
I wouldn't expect any of these guys to drive these on public roads more than once. Bad handling, a shoddy ride, and not very comfortable to even the most spartan of people.
It only takes once!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.