How much for a beat up little ratrod like this? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't like the "Radical Rat" look actually, it looks like your trying to re-create a T-bucket with a 51' Ford F1.

Actually, the Rat idealogy is good, but the prices and quality aren't. Now anything that is remotely old or rejected is labeled as a Rat Rod on ebay and sold at inflated prices.

And most of these guys that are so hardcore "Traditional" actually have no idea how they really built these things. First off, the cars weren't that rusty back then. And most of the time, they stuck to the "Traditonal" body styles. Since they were only 20-30 years old then, and were pretty available.

Then again, I'm trying to combine two trucks that would never be considered a good idea in those days either. Modern "Rats" are just recreations (kinda exageratted) of the original hot rods, using similair styles.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52RodTruck
And it doesn't matter if u blow a tire when your car is 1 inch off the ground, or 10 inches off the ground, c'mon dude!
It makes a HUGE difference. And it's why there are regulations in most states regarding a scrub line. If any part of the car is below the rim of a wheel, that part will dig into the asphalt in the event of a blowout, often with catastrophic results - especially if it is near the front of the car. If nothing on the car hangs below the scrub line, then when there is a blowout the wheels/rims can continue to make contact with the highway allowing the driver to maintain control of the car.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here's an example of super low and held together with a prayer being unsafe. Keep in mind that it is a pothole and he's really not going that fast. Imagine if he had been at speed on a public street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-05p_2tQsY

Why does making a safe car seem to be so hard for these guys? Yes, the look is kind of cool.... but only if it's safe. For EVERYONE. I just don't think it's hard to have both.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
User

Last photo:

And hes welding in the rain too.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

I just wanted to say a little bit of danger is what makes hot rodding so great but when it comes to the point where you endanger others then you have screwed up
Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Kevin45] can paint flat black a rat rod. rattlecans of flat black a rat rod. pinstripes fancy scrolled pinstriping old and worn retro Mexican blanket across seat, and an 8-ball rust because that makes it look cool more-door, have the back doors welded shut. Don't worry about grinding the welds makes it look cool. put a metal flake roof on, blah blah blah....

Last edited by dingodong; 01-16-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodong
Yeah a neon is about as much a ratrod as a pickup truck is any kind of a rod. Irony is ignored for an attempt at comedy by the truly stupid...Actually a Neon is at least a car, rather than a farm implement suitable for hauling manure.
Many pickups make fine rods, but I get your point.............Many of these kids get a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton "brick" of a truck and try to make it go fast, and wonder why it wont. The damn thing weighs 5000+ lbs.......thats why. If you want a hot rod truck, get something older...........50s or earlier, when they were smaller and lighter.

Budget RVs
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

My advice to the wants a ratrod kid is; keep saving $, learn all you can, keep looking for the bargain car, chop it yourself, don't listen to nay-sayers, just stubbornly hang in there like a rusted bolt, and eventually you will have the car YOU want. Which is what it's about, not making the car someone else is trying to tell you to make.

Last edited by dingodong; 01-15-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodong
... from very definition, a hotrod [even the rat type] should be a coup or roadster [or at least a 2dr sedan] made at least before 1960 [or better yet before ww2] and it should be heavily modified. If it's a truck, or 4door, or van, or bike, it is not a hotrod any more than a modified toaster, lawn mower, dishwasher or skateboard, is a hotrod.
I'm not sure where your "very definition" of a hot rod came from, but I've been building these things since 1958 and I've never heard a definition even close to yours. I've seen hundreds of beautiful hot rods and they certainly haven't all been coupes or roadsters. Many have had 4 doors, many have been pickup trucks, and many were originally built well after the 60's.

Quote:
All modern cars are incapable of being true rods because they are soul-less,non-customizable, plastic, computerized, disposible crap...The Neon is perfect example.
I can agree that some cars might be "difficult" to customize...but to say a vehicle is "non-customizable" just doesn't make much sense to me. Park it in my garage...and I can customize it.

Quote:
The dude who was crapping on the kids dream of owning an old rusty chopped ratrod on the cheap, by telling him to go paint a neon w/primer...
As I understood the point being made in that original post, young rodders don't have to put off the joy of building a rod simply because they don't have the money to buy the "perfect" rod right now. Most of us started out building on whatever we had in the back yard or whatever we could get our hands on with the little pocket money we had available. Same holds true today. And I salute any young person who picks up a torch and goes at a Neon to try to make it his own.

While I agree that a young rodder certainly has the option of saving his/her dough until they can buy their dream car, they also have the very worthy option of buying whatever they can get their hands on cheap and turning it into something unique and individualized right now. Both options result in a hot rod once all the dust settles.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The dude who was crapping on the kids dream of owning an old rusty chopped ratrod on the cheap, by telling him to go paint a neon w/primer...

That"DUDE" as you put it probably has forgotten more about hotrodding than you will ever know...........He was making a point...............I am sure he will be along soon enough to clue you in....I dont need to defend him.

Budget RVs
Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Quote:

That"DUDE" as you put it probably has forgotten more about hotrodding than you will ever know...........He was making a point...............I am sure he will be along soon enough to clue you in....I dont need to defend him.
Maybe he forgot a little to much because kids like us are the future of hotrodding and if hes shooting them down like that then the hobby he lived for will have no future and he can have the privlege of saying it was due to his big mouth!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM
User

Last photo:

That definition might've been...possible, in the 50's. But no longer is. Most coupes and roadsters are gone, period.

But honestly, who cares? Were not setting out to build some "period perfect" rod anyway. Thats just the same as trying to restore anything that hasn't been locked in a garage since 20,000 miles to factory condition. Its not possible. So we should just build cars while we can.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman
Maybe he forgot a little to much because kids like us are the future of hotrodding and if hes shooting them down like that then the hobby he lived for will have no future and he can have the privlege of saying it was due to his big mouth!
Try rereading his posts......................but, before you do, look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary.

Budget RVs
Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Try rereading his posts......................but, before you do, look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary.
thats fantastic next time I will do that bud. Wow thanks for teaching me something your the greatest! haha
Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This is beginning to remind me of the last guy that was suspended then ultimately banned. I will watch this one and see what happens.
Ahh...the arrogance of youth, gotta love it!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.