How much for a beat up little ratrod like this? - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
This is beginning to remind me of the last guy that was suspended then ultimately banned. I will watch this one and see what happens.
Ahh...the arrogance of youth, gotta love it!
Theres really no reason I would get suspended for what I said. It was no more offensive then what anyone else said. It just got me angered that this kid came here looking for knowledge and instead mr. neon over there insulted his/my entire generation! Give me your age old man and I can insult your generation too!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

This might give the kid some inspiration
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WXU3N9wT3u0

those cars are more of a hot rod then your easter egg will ever be
Old 01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Give me your age old man and I can insult your generation too!
Looks like most people have their age posted except.....uuhhmmmm.....YOU!!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The originator of this thread lives in Poland and is a kid just dreaming. He has 10 posts total on this board and had talked about buying a Lincoln Continental, his grand dad's Caddy, some kind of Ford and now a Rat Rod.

This thread is getting a bit testy and my guess is that the mod for this forum won't let this get too much worse before this thread either goes to the dump or just gets closed. If you people want to continue this discussion I suggest you work on being a bit more civil to each other.

That said...... when my house is done I'll be building a "period inspired" Deuce 3 window. Everything will be either flat black or chrome and if I here someone call it a rat rod they'll probably walk away with a fat lip.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Looks like most people have their age posted except.....uuhhmmmm.....YOU!!
whoops sorry about that grand dad im 17
Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
whoops sorry about that grand dad im 17
So let me ask this in all of your 17 years of wisdom....who did you learn everything from. 14, 15, 15 year olds. It seems like us "old fart" just don't know what we are talking about.
And you wonder why your generation gets insulted. It really doesn't, except a select few who makes it look bad for the rest. Most older "grand dads", "old farts", "geezers" go out of their way to help the youth of today, but you get the certain ones that start name calling the minute that something doesn't set well with them. Then they want to stick up for their whole generation by name calling. Maybe you ought to poll your generation and see if that is what they really want. But wait...you'll really have to search to see who is your generation on here because if they don't have their age posted then you won't know who they are. Main reason is mutual respect. And when the old farts and your generation have mutual respect for one another they discuss things fairly rationally and kind of blend in together. And over a comment or two about a "ratrod" or Neon, you really have made yourself look like the south end of a northbound donkey.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman
Theres really no reason I would get suspended for what I said. It was no more offensive then what anyone else said. It just got me angered that this kid came here looking for knowledge and instead mr. neon over there insulted his/my entire generation! Give me your age old man and I can insult your generation too!
I am too old to remember, keep swinging away...you will hit it.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:12 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

"..... "period inspired" Deuce 3 window. Everything will be either flat black...."

Ok I'm not trying to start anything here, just trying to get a little input. I've heard the comment now for a few years about flat paint or primer being the "way it used to be" or "period correct".

Now, I'm just a tad short of being 55 so I really didn't start noticing cars until the late 50's and by the time I was really into it was the mid 60's and the traditioanl Hot Rods were pretty much going away in favor of factory musle cars.

I also know that many Hot Rod styles were a regional thing but.........

What I do remember locally was that the traditional rods were painted. The majority of the pictures I've seen from the era were black and white but if you study them closely the cars were also painted (as opposed to primed). The color footage I've seen also shows the majority painted, many in very bright colors.

While these cars would have been painted in lacquer and the shine would not have been as nice as any current paints even if properly buffed out they would not have been flat or a primered texture either.

Yes many cars were that I remember locally were in primmer and driven for a short time (as the owner scrapped the money together for paint) most actually did get some form of paint job. A rusty car was definately looked down on, and no self respecting owner ...at least in my area... would be caught dead driving one. Even driving a primered car was better (but not by much) until the car was eventually painted.

That is how I remember it from my youth, in my local area.

I guess what I would like to do is hear FROM PEOPLE WHO ACTAULLY LIVED THRU THE TIMES AND NOTICED CARS IN THEIR AREAS as to what they remember.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Maybe, the 17 year old knows.........................

I am the same age as you, 1957plymouthhemi............Up here in our town, I only remember a couple of older rods.....this was in the early 60s. One was blue with a nailhead, the other was yellow, think it was a flathead. Both looked like they had been painted outside.

Budget RVs
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
So let me ask this in all of your 17 years of wisdom....who did you learn everything from. 14, 15, 15 year olds. It seems like us "old fart" just don't know what we are talking about.
And you wonder why your generation gets insulted. It really doesn't, except a select few who makes it look bad for the rest. Most older "grand dads", "old farts", "geezers" go out of their way to help the youth of today, but you get the certain ones that start name calling the minute that something doesn't set well with them. Then they want to stick up for their whole generation by name calling. Maybe you ought to poll your generation and see if that is what they really want. But wait...you'll really have to search to see who is your generation on here because if they don't have their age posted then you won't know who they are. Main reason is mutual respect. And when the old farts and your generation have mutual respect for one another they discuss things fairly rationally and kind of blend in together. And over a comment or two about a "ratrod" or Neon, you really have made yourself look like the south end of a northbound donkey.
I know Im fighting a losing battle and will never win it. Older hot rodders are where I learned every single thing I know from also. Maybe if you ignore the fact that some of the kids from my generation are idiots and don't think of us as a whole rether then individuals then it wouldn't bug us. Now you can spin this around too and have all your other buddies back you up or we can come to mutual agreement and maybe start acting our own ages and pretend this never happened. Maybe even start talking about the things this forum is about.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Codeman, you do NOT represent our generation in a fair way and I'm pretty sure you're well aware of it. If you haven't noticed yet, the relationships in life build on respect. If you dont agree with someone, fine, I dont agree half the time with some people on this board either, but dont start the name calling or the finger pointing. You'll get much more achieved if you present your opinion in a respectful manner, otherwise you'll end up being what you are now...
About the primer thing, I have wondered this myself many times, and after talking to a lot of seasoned rodders around here I got the following impression; cars ran in primer only until they were able to afford paint. It wasnt "cool" to have primer, in fact it showed that you were poor. Lot of the cars that were just strip racers didnt bother with paint and just left them in primer, however the guys that wanted a "hot rod" got some laquer on their ride as soon as they possibly could. Ever see old hot rod magazines from the 50's? They're always shiny with chrome reverse wheels etc. Primered cars never made it into mags, however that doesnt mean that they weren't running around at that time.

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I don't believe either "paint" OR "primer" is period correct. They are BOTH period correct. We ran cars in primer or partial primer all the time. At least in the region where I grew up, primered cars were a sign that "something cool was in the works". Something new and different was being created. Something was being hot rodded.

As others have said above, almost all of us INTENDED to finish our cars and that included a nice paint job. But it was more important to be out on the road and having a good time. So the primer cars also became somewhat of a badge of courage. No, we weren't quite finished with our rides...but something cool was in the works.

And I believe that is one reason primer cars remain such a draw on the street or at shows today. People are drawn to "something cool in the works". And primer cars are a way of displaying the badge that says, this car is a hot rod in the works.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman
Maybe he forgot a little to much because kids like us are the future of hotrodding and if hes shooting them down like that then the hobby he lived for will have no future and he can have the privlege of saying it was due to his big mouth!
See theres the problem...to you it's a "hobby". You are clueless.

Last edited by dingodong; 01-15-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodong
You all are clueless... you are just pathetic little idiots... and I don't care if you have been doing it since 1938, because bottom line is you are just another 9to5er who only "plays hotrod" on the weekend.
If this is what you think of us...then why in the world are you here? We certainly have nothing you seem interested in learning.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

OK...Mr Lifestyle......................If that POS in your photo album is your idea of a lifestyle, you have much to learn....................If thats all you can afford, you deal with it, dont blame others.

It seems to me, that you are just a little jealous of what other people have. Most of these people are not rich, they have just worked hard for years to get where they are today..........something that you dont want to do.

Take a hike...............

Budget RVs

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.