How much for a beat up little ratrod like this? - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=cboy]As the responses above have pointed out, the rat rod craze has inflated the prices on these sorts of cars well beyond their replacement value. Also, many are not road worthy (read safe) at all. They are brought to car shows on a trailer, unloaded on some back lot, and then driven a couple of blocks to the show site. In many cases they are simply "pretend" cars that were never meant...blah blah blah

Advertisement

Last edited by dingodong; 01-15-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
OK...Mr Lifestyle......................If that POS in your photo album is your idea of a lifestyle, you have much to learn....................If thats all you can afford, you deal with it, dont blame others.

It seems to me, that you are just a little jealous of what other people have. Most of these people are not rich, they have just worked hard for years to get where they are today..........something that you dont want to do.

Take a hike...............
Jealous? you must be sniffing paint as much as putting it on your car...I don't hate on rich people either, If they can afford to have Boyd or Foose build 'em a car great, more power to 'em. The point is to build [or buy] what a person wants to build.

Last edited by dingodong; 01-15-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Fine to have your opinions, but others have theirs too.............and, you have no right to say your opinion is right and other peoples are wrong. We each have our own ideas of what hotrodding is....or isn't. Lets leave it at that......

BTW, I apoligize for the POS remark...........Under neath, your car and my truck are probably almost identical. It has a clip too.

Also...this truck, which is a hotrod.....was totally built by me in my shop....for about $2500.................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ctmpphp4YYnPr.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	17607  

Budget RVs
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodong
So you take a hike & when you get there I think you know what you can do w/yourself you Canadian idiot.

OK.......arsehole...I take back the appology................

Budget RVs
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

opinions are like butts everyone has one but you shouldn't be going around showing everyone yours. I think I mooned a few more people then I should have and got upset over something stupid. We are all here brought together for our passion and lifestyle. So..... this is my official apalogy! I think its harder to compremise then go around telling people off. So hopefully we can turn this thread into something productive. There is still tons of info on this thread. Besides nobody is going to do anything to anyone and we need to realize we are FIGHTING OVER THE INTERNET while we should be working on our RODZ. Idk about you but I have a rearend and some other parts that need laid out to plan my new rod build and its not gonna get done itself. Maybe we should drop the keyboard and pick up a wrench and continue the legacy of hot rodding!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Do you take this to be your way of life or are going to "play" at a pretend hobbie?
If I understand you correctly, your principle beef is that many rodders consider their love of cars to be a "hobby" - and therefore only pretending, while you consider your love of cars to be a "way of life" - and therefore the true hot rodder.

Might I suggest that a "true hotrodder" (as opposed to a pretend hot rodder) is one who builds hot rods. And it is of little consequences whether that person builds them on weekends during their spare time, or devotes every hour of every day of every week to the building process. They still build hot rods. And the definition of a true hotrodder, it seems to me, is determined by what they do in the garage...not by what they happen to call themselves.

I think most of us refer to hot rodding as a "hobby" so as to differentiate it from a "job" or "making our living". Even though I make money at building, buying and selling street rods I most definitely consider it a hobby, and not a job or the way I make my living. And my guess is 90% or more of the folks here on HR.Com fit in about the same category. They can't make their living in the sport they love...so they make a living elsewhere and devote whatever spare time they can manage to build the works of art that they build.

Is hot rodding a "way of life" for these folks? Well, by the looks of what they have produced (as evidenced in their project journals and photo galleries) I would have to say yes. It takes incredible devotion, stamina and incentive to build rods like Poncho and Kevin45 have done in their backyard shops. And there are literally thousands of others here on HR.Com who sacrifice virtually everything else in their private life in order to make their dream cars a reality.

So when you call these folks "pretend" hot rodders, or idiots, or clueless simply because they call their sport a hobby rather than I lifestyle...I think you do them a great disservice and I think you do the sport a great disservice.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
........ And primer cars are a way of displaying the badge that says, this car is a hot rod in the works.
Quite correct, and everyone knows you never finish a hot rod.... you just quit working on it.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
You all are clueless... you are just pathetic little idiots... and I don't care if you have been doing it since 1938, because bottom line is you are just another 9to5er who only "plays hotrod" on the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
If this is what you think of us...then why in the world are you here? We certainly have nothing you seem interested in learning.
Hmmmmm.......Maybe dingodong should take his know-it-all attitude over to the HAMB where it will be appreciated. Some of the characters over there will put him in his place in a heart beat. On the other hand we know nothings don't deserve to be in the presence of this "God's gift to Hotrodding."

I think this thread needs to find it's way to the DUMP along with dingodong.

Last edited by Centerline; 01-11-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Dump it and throw him in there head first!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM

rat rod

Too funny. Hear I've been trying to figure out what to do about all the rat crap I have in the garage , turns out it's actually valuable.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:42 AM
learning

hmm... i like hot rods. all sorts. its a little entertaining to read about a bunch of old guys arguing about whos the real rodder... um...i think there all cool
Old 01-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Last journal entry: plugging away
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
Hey,

I'm a real newbie and I want to get in to hot-rodding to have a little
hobby on the side, and I was wondering how much I should expect to
shell out for a beat up old hot rod like the one of these:

It doesn't have to have a really great engine or be in good shape or
fast as long as it runs and drives under its own power.
notice how many people are looking at rat rod threads. is that billy gibbons pick up truck with the surf board built by a "pro" kirby stafford who owns a "custom paint shop"!!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:15 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsinthedirt
hmm... i like hot rods. all sorts. its a little entertaining to read about a bunch of old guys arguing about whos the real rodder... um...i think there all cool
Actually, I think the consensus was that they are cool, as long as they are done safely. There are quite a few that are missing little things like: complete firewalls, complete floorboards, windshields that are made of glass (yea, I saw a guy who felt Plexiglas was okay), windshields period, a decent scrub line and front brakes. To name a few.

Build what you like, but don't forget to think about your safety and the safety of others. In the old days, it wasn't hot rods that got in trouble. It was bad hot rodders. Building an unsafe car is the new "bad hot rodder". Disregard of safety measures makes it really hard for your congressman to stand up for our rights, when all the opposition has to do is show a photo of a hot rod done wrong as evidence against.

In my opinion, anyway.

Take a look at this example. Let's play a game called spot the violation! Also, a viewer of this video has called him on it. Check out his responses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgpQAOfpsw

Last edited by tfeverfred; 01-13-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
learning

wait a second, is that the ground i see through the glove box? i bet if he tired real hard he could get a rock to fly off the front tire and smack'm in the head!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:07 PM
John

Rat rods rule

Gabriel, you should be able to find a old pick up body for under $1000.00 check on ebay for starters. Do your research on wheel base lengths then find a older S10 you should be able to find one for again under $1000. then just re and re the bodies. It will require some skill to do this but time is on your side. Now you will have a relatively inexpensive ratrod that is safe, one that you'll be able have aligned at your neighborhood garage as it is an S10 and one you'll continuously be able to modify and play with as high perf parts are everywhere for S10's. Enjoy and keep us posted on you project.

John

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.