How much for a beat up little ratrod like this? - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Most states that no longer have a safety inspection have laws that allow the cops to pull you over and make you get the heap towed home right on the spot -- or tow it to the impound yard for you. I know they at least insinuated that when SC did away with the safety inspection farce years ago. Depending on who you knew, you could get anything inspected anyway. The charge was someting like $15 -- with $5 going to the inspection station (any local service station that applied -- it was more a way for them to get a little business than anything else, certainly wasn't worth the 20-30 minutes time!) and $10 to the state... heck, total may have been $10, there's been no inspection for about 10 years now! Anyway, someoine in the state gov figured out it cost more to administer the program than the state was getting, so they did away with it instead of raising the cost. I've only heard of a few stories where cars were pulled over and forced to call for a ride home. Most of the time they give you a ticket and tell you to drive home and park, only tow if you get caught again with the same violation. Always a few that try!

I worked a summer at a service station changing tires and doing inspections when I was 16! The inspection was simple enough -- make sure turn signals, headlights, horn worked properly, wasn't exceptionally loud, and the windows weren't cracked anywhere to impair visibility. A few other things -- mirrors in place and intact, and things like that. The owner came out and put the sticker on, and he gave everything a cursory glance when they walked in and asked for an inspection. If a car looked questionable he'd watch while I went through the steps. If it looked like it wasn't likely to pass he'd turn the owner away without taking the time to check. For him this was more a service for regular customers.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 AM

Last journal entry: plugging away
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

roots

I hate to say it folks but thats how rodding started and don't tell me theres old timers out there that don't remember having a string for a throttle and sat on a milk crate till they got a pay check to get a throttle and a seat yes some of them were poorly built and that guy should have installed the fire wall and a window. if you ever sat in a tank in ww2 then that car felt pretty safe for the day.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:04 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsinthedirt
... what kinds of things would need to be done in these cars to make them safe?
A very good place to start is NSRA's 23 point safety checklist. You can find it at their website...google NSRA.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
A very good place to start is NSRA's 23 point safety checklist. You can find it at their website...google NSRA.
I don't know [or care] what nsra stands for [national society for retarded a-holes?] with out even looking it up I'm going to guess the R stands for racing, which means it might as well stand for retarded.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 AM
learning

can you explain to me why you have such a negitive opinion about this? i dont understand it
Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsinthedirt
can you explain to me why you have such a negitive opinion about this? i dont understand it
Ask an honest Q get an honest A...I really hate it when a bunch of self rightious idiots act they know everything about hotrodding and then confuse it w/safety issues, the racing industry,magazines,censorship,paint vs rust vs primer foolishness, and all the rest. I think the core group who dominates any web site are always going to be that way...See for example the girly boys over at ol skool [& can't spell] rodz. I also hate people trying to put an age or face on hotrodding. In fact who ever coined the term Ratrod didn't do anyone any favors in the 1st place, but if it wouldn't have been that it would of just been some other name for the trendy to strive after & the ignorant to whine about.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You are done for a while mr dingodong...........suspended for a month.

Maybe, if and when you return, you can be a bit more civil....If not, well, there always a permenant ban.....

Budget RVs
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeay F1
I hate to say it folks but thats how rodding started and don't tell me theres old timers out there that don't remember having a string for a throttle and sat on a milk crate till they got a pay check to get a throttle and a seat yes some of them were poorly built and that guy should have installed the fire wall and a window. if you ever sat in a tank in ww2 then that car felt pretty safe for the day.
Just because things were done that way 60+ years ago, doesn't make it right today. There are a lot more cars on the road today than back when.
People (rodders) have had to fight over the years to keep their hobby from being legislated out of existence, then along comes a new fad and at first glance their builds look like a POS, and many are. That is the image that that is spreading with rat rods.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
...People (rodders) have had to fight over the years to keep their hobby from being legislated out of existence...
This is a good point 1owner and something I think we neglect at times. The "law" can put us out of business in a split second if they so choose. Right now there is enough clout (SEMA etc.) to keep street rods on the road. But given enough accidents and disasters caused by poorly built rods and no amount of clout under the sun will stop the onslaught or regulations and restrictions.

To me that means our sport must practice a great deal of self restraint AND self regulation. We not only need to build our OWN rods up to appropriate safety standards, we need to make an effort to insure that other rodders do the same. That is why threads like this are important. So that younger rodders can see why some of us old geezer harp so much about using good judgment in the design and construction of any rod which will be driven on the highway. The hot rodding community simply can't afford to have renegade unsafe time bombs out there on the highway.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodong
I don't know [or care] what nsra stands for...
That was my bad for not spelling out NSRA...which is the National Street Rod Association. You can review their 23 point safety list here http://www.nsra-usa.com/safety.htm
Old 01-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Cboy, you make a very good point. One that I totally agree with. While a lot of us may not care about people who do not get into what we like, they are also the same people who can kill this hobby or at least make it so hard to enjoy that it would become too expensive to enjoy. Just imagine if our projects had to comply with the bumper laws for newer cars. How much would it cost to make a hot rod that could take a 35 MPH front, rear or side hit. And what if we HAD to have ABS or airbags? These are just a few of the ways that our hobby could be dealt a severe blow.

That's why we have to be safe NOW before we get legislated into museums. In the long run, our hobby is about building vehicles we enjoy and using them to be creative. There are hundreds of ways to do this. Part of the fun is being able to express ourselves and build what we like. But the one thing that ALL of our vehicles has to be is SAFE. For the driver, passenger and pedestrian.

The rat rod come back is that they are trying to be period correct. That's cool, but like what has been stated earlier, times and regulations changed. You cannot do what was cool 60 years ago. End of story. A few people may live in the boonies where they can have a distant cousin or buddy who inspects cars slap a sticker on a piece of junk he threw together. Okay, but all he needs to do is take out a family of four because he hit a bump and a chuck of rusted body panel flies into their windshield. Or those "gennie" brakes fail. If enough incidents happen and (God forbid) someone like Oprah decides to stir the **** or a Nader type needs a few votes, we could be in a lot of trouble.

Just remember, guys and gals, it didn't take much for seatbelts to become a law and it wouldn't take much for someone to decide that ANYTHING registered for the road needed bumpers that could take a 35MPH hit. How would the front of a Deuce look with THAT kind of frontend? Or how about a T bucket!?

As to the original post.... find an old car, use your imagination and whatever budget you can afford. You have the power and freedom to build whatever you want. Just do it SAFE! I'm not a member of the NSRA yet, but I am using their safety inspection because it makes damn good sense!

Last edited by tfeverfred; 01-16-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Just because things were done that way 60+ years ago, doesn't make it right today.........
Good point, but whoever believes that's the way it WAS done has bought into the false "rat rod" philosophy that's being generated now days. That is definately NOT the way it was done. There were very few rods on the street covered with rust and unpainted. Most self respecting rodders in the '50's wouldn't be caught dead in the kind of crap rat rodders are building now. Most if not all were generally safe and the philosophy was to build the "best" hot rod you could with the money you had, not the rattiest piece of junk you could. Sure they were driven unfinished and primed but they were a he11 of a lot safer than some of the junk being turned out by some of today's rat rod builders.

If someone really wants to see how hot rods were back in the day all they have to do is watch some of the B "cult" hot rod movies of the '50's.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Centerline, that's what I found out by talking to old timers at a car show here. They were in shock at some of the traditions the rat rod exhibit was trying to pass off. It wasn't the paint or trim issues as much as it was that it was not done that way.

I'm on a VERY tight budget, so finding a gennie T body at a good price would be a jewel to me. NO WAY would I let myself cruise it if it might fly apart the first dip in the road I hit.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:09 PM
User

Last photo:

Like I said, most of the cars that were really rotted, were just left to keep on going in the "old days". Or turned into tractors. And even then, there were enough model-As, Ts, and Bs to keep everyone occupied, so you wouldn't be driving around in a Diamond-T with the floor rotted out, or anything similair.

You wanted a cheap, good looking hot rod. Not something that broke tradition too much or looked like a pile of junk.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 PM

Last journal entry: plugging away
Last photo:

roots

well its funny how many people can get away with building anything they want. if it were built up here in Canada "unsafe" it would not even have a chance in hell of ever ever getting a license plate or even making it on to a track. the inspection process here is very Harsh
I think the issue here is to be well informed especially if you know nothing about cars. THERE IS NO REASON TO BUILD OR BUY OR SELL A UNSAFE AUTO IN THIS DAY AND AGE.
some people like to live on the edge some people will always break the law and some people like to make scary videos.
and thats just the way it is. I still like rat rods because they are art like any other auto on this planet someone had to create it. I think we all know whats right and whats wrong. "CHOICE" is a good word to know the end

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.