Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much for a beat up little ratrod like this?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodong
Do you take this to be your way of life or are going to "play" at a pretend hobbie?
If I understand you correctly, your principle beef is that many rodders consider their love of cars to be a "hobby" - and therefore only pretending, while you consider your love of cars to be a "way of life" - and therefore the true hot rodder.

Might I suggest that a "true hotrodder" (as opposed to a pretend hot rodder) is one who builds hot rods. And it is of little consequences whether that person builds them on weekends during their spare time, or devotes every hour of every day of every week to the building process. They still build hot rods. And the definition of a true hotrodder, it seems to me, is determined by what they do in the garage...not by what they happen to call themselves.

I think most of us refer to hot rodding as a "hobby" so as to differentiate it from a "job" or "making our living". Even though I make money at building, buying and selling street rods I most definitely consider it a hobby, and not a job or the way I make my living. And my guess is 90% or more of the folks here on HR.Com fit in about the same category. They can't make their living in the sport they love...so they make a living elsewhere and devote whatever spare time they can manage to build the works of art that they build.

Is hot rodding a "way of life" for these folks? Well, by the looks of what they have produced (as evidenced in their project journals and photo galleries) I would have to say yes. It takes incredible devotion, stamina and incentive to build rods like Poncho and Kevin45 have done in their backyard shops. And there are literally thousands of others here on HR.Com who sacrifice virtually everything else in their private life in order to make their dream cars a reality.

So when you call these folks "pretend" hot rodders, or idiots, or clueless simply because they call their sport a hobby rather than I lifestyle...I think you do them a great disservice and I think you do the sport a great disservice.