How much brake fluid? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2002, 05:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post How much brake fluid?

Can anyone advise how much (expensive silicone) fluid I'll need to fill & bleed the brand new system on my 32 sedan - with GM rotors front, 9" Ford drums out back & underfloor dual line master cylinder? Any useful tips??

Many thanks from rainy England

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2002, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

I can help you with this one. As a general rule of thumb 1 quart will do it. If you run into trouble 2 quarts. I have the same set up as you and I can save you hours of frustration bleading these brakes. Also, if you have trouble finding silicone brake fluid at the local car parts stores, many motorcyle repair or parts stores carry this right on the shelf. This will save you from ordering it by mail order.

Go to the parts store and get a one man brake bleed kit for about $6.00. This consists of a length of clear tubing and a small plastic bottle with a magnet on one side.

I always start with the furthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder and go to the closest and that has worked for me. Here's is the trick that makes the difference. Get a jack stand and stick the blead bottle on that and situate it so the bottle is higher than the caliper or wheel cylinder. (You can use the inside of the fender if you have steel fenders) Have the blead tube situated so it has an upward angle as soon as it comes out of the bleader screw. Rig up a light in there so you can watch for bubbles. Pre- blead your master cylinder on the bench. Fill the master cylinder, and you can blead each wheel cylinder or caliper by yourself, by pushing the brake pedal up and down. You don't have to close off the bleader screw each time you let up on the brake pedal, but don't let your master cylinder run dry. When you first start you will see air bubbles coming thru that clear bleader hose. When you have all the air out, go to the next wheel. Don't go to the next wheel until you have all the air of the wheel cylinder you are working on.

I have blead some of the toughest systems out using this procedure so I know it works well. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:36 AM

Last photo:

Thanks HotRodMan - I appreciate your reply. Limey.

Any other good tips out there?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.