Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much can Pontiac pressed in studs take?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

screw in stud heads expensive, too big of valves for the size of the bore, and if we go down that road why not just get some Ebrock heads for my Firebird? Or build another cookie cutter 383? The purpose of the build is to make 300-330 hp without major machining costs. The 69 Firebird is being built for as a spirited back roads cruiser. I've got Front discs on my mind, Koni shocks, sway bars, sub connectors, not to mention painting it.
Haven't found a machinist that is willing to pin the heads. I myself would not be that excited to drill 16 hardened studs either.
Thank you for telling me about the camshaft base circle. I had never heard of that before. Why does having a smaller base circle affect the non adjustable valve train? I am skeptical. Why would more than .45 lift with 1.3 base snap a stud? How do I find out what a cam's base circle is? Do I have to write Lunati to find out?
I find it hard to imagine that the stud will snap, because what I am building what I believe is not a radical combo. It's a 7/16 stud, and appears to be 3/8 at the threaded portion, and I assume these studs are stronger than grade 8 bolts.
thanks for your replies,