Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much can Pontiac pressed in studs take?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

As long as the base circle of the cam lobes are 1.330" in diameter and the push rods are from 9.130" to 9.150" long, the stock tapered seat bottleneck rocker studs used the stock tapered seat rocker nuts will lock the lifter pre load setting of .053" to .073" from zero pre load, depending on on the length of the push rods. .

I would be concerned about the stock bottleneck rocker studs breaking with more than 100 lb. seat pressure and more than 280 lb. open pressure. Pontiac never exceeded 118 lb. seat pressure and 280 lb. open pressure with 3/8" bottle neck rocker studs.

Before I discovered the problem with the stock bottle neck studs on a ten month old 1969 Firebird 400, I broke a bottle neck rocker stud using a Z300 Crane camshaft that had 125 lb. seat pressure and 300 lb. open pressure at .485" valve lift. I switched to BB Chevy rocker studs and the problem was solved. Fortunately I was in the waiting line at a drive-in movie when it happened. I learned that the hard way before Al Gore invented the internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to MouseFink For This Useful Post:
Nuck Chorris (05-03-2013)