how much can sbc stock 5.7 rods handle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 06:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how much can sbc stock 5.7 rods handle?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy some 5.7 rods for a 400 sbc. I was wondering how much hp stock 5.7 rods can handle. Also how much lift can they handle before there is clearance problems with the cam?
I'm looking to be in the 450 to 500 hp range!

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by sb72elcamino350; 04-19-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

would stock 350 5.7 rods be alright if it is balanced and things like that?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

If you put good rod bolts in them they are good to 450-500hp. RPM's is what kills parts not really the HP. In most cases the rods themselves don't fail the bolts do.

I have a 385 on the stand that I have run for over 5 years with "stock" GM rods (5.565"), with ARP bolts and the engine pushed my Camaro into the 11's on pump gas. This comes out to about 475-500HP. The engine is still fine and will be going in my buddies Nova. A good balance job will be a big help too. This engine is also a 2 bolt main with ARP studs. I just kept the RPM's down to the 6500 mark. If you are going to really punish the engine then you might want to step up on the rods.

Royce
Old 04-19-2004, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

What would be the best step up if i'm going to punish the motor?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

If you want to spin the engine, you need a forged crank, I or H-beam rods (your choice) the lightest forged pistons you can find. This will help the engine live. In either case RPM's is what will kill the engine. Since you are talking about a 400 you should not need to spin it that hard, it is going to make plenty of power/torque if you build it right.

Maybe a better approach would be for you to list your intended use/goals and we can work from there. Take your budget into account when planning as well. For many hot rodders this is the limiting factor.

What kind of car, transmission, rear gears, stall, nd the intended use would all be very helpful.

Your original goal of 450-500 hp will not require you to punish the engine. 450HP will be fairly easy to obtain and you can keep the RPM's down to a sane level (even 500 won't be that hard).

You have to tell us what we're working with though. Street/strip, daily driver, race only? Pump gas, race fuel, etc... Any power adders? (nitrous, blower, turbo?)

Royce
Old 04-20-2004, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

This motor will be mainly street/strip. My goal is about 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile since I am in highschool and that is the fastest they allow for the highschool class. It is going into a 72 el camino with 4.10 posi, and a th350 with an about a 3500 stall. How high will I have to twist it to make the best power?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 01:04 AM
I Love VTec

Last photo:

that depends on your cam and intake manifold you can make max torque at 2,000 and max hp at 5,000 or diffrent car max torque 3,500 max hp 6,300 see what im getting at? for a street drver with 4.10 gears go with top end power otherwise you will have some difficulties driving it normally
Old 04-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i love posting this link

Read the section about rods-

K
Old 04-20-2004, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

You should not need to spin the engine over 6200-6500RPM. With the 4.10's you will have plenty of off the line torque to move that heavy ElCamino. You might have to play with the tire height to get the best street and strip performace.

Stock rods with bood bolts should take you to the 12's no problem in a 400ci small block. Save your rod money and spend that on some rear suspension parts so the car will hook.

Killer, that was a good article and that is basically what I was saying.

Royce
Old 04-20-2004, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

what do you think would be the best tire size, and what rear end suspension parts should I look at?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Well with the El Caminos, Chevelles, etc.. usually one of the first things they do is put in stronge upper control arms (either box the existing ones or buy aftermarket ones), another thing they do is run an air bag on the passenger sider rear. Tire size will depend on your engine, it might take some trial and error. The taller the tire is going to seem like you have less gear (won't rev as high on the top end) but, it can hurt your off the line performance. With 4.10's I don't think you will want a tire any shorter than 28", any shorter and you RPM's on the stret will be too much to stand.

You have to balance your goals if it is a street/strip car. Only you know what you want from the car.

Royce
Old 04-20-2004, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

What would be a good height for a street tire. I've got some 275/50r15 bf goodrich tires, and also some 215/75r15 tires. Which would be better. What I am mainly looking for is a car the is street/strip. Get me to work back and be realiable. I live in montana so I would also like a good snow car, but i'm afraid i might just have to get alittle put around car. For the air bags, my car already has factory ones, should i try using that one or not?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Are these rods any better if any then the stock 5.7 rods that you can find in a 350? If they are better how much so?

5.7 Rods

Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Those are stock rods that have been reconditioned. They put stronger bolts in them, they really are no better than what you have other than the bolts. To get a better rod you are going to have to go aftermarket and either get an I beam or H-beam. You really dont "NEED" either one for your application but, it wouldn't hurt. Like I said before rod bolts usually fail long before the rod does, so buy a good set of bolts, have your rods re-sized, magnafluxed, checked for straightness, polish the beams if you want a little added reliability. Otherwise look for a deal on a set of aftermarket rods, if you shop around you can find a set of H-beams with good bolts for $300 or so.

Royce
Old 04-25-2004, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Why are the 5.565 rods found in sbc 400 not recommended for high performance use?

Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.