Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much clearance should there be between motor mount and motor mount bolt?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgear View Post
I have what I consider quite a bit of clearance between the motor mount and the motor mount bolt, is this typical?

seems to me that at most there should be a few thousandths, but it is more like 1/4" to 3/8"......thoughts, nothing to worry about? I can just see the motor reving up against those bolts and getting a good chance to run up at it....comments??????
This makes up for the fact that chassis are really pretty sloppy when it comes to assembly so the stack-up of tolerances requires some give when it comes to the engine and transmission's attachement. They take the adjustment at the engine as that's fewer oversize holes. Once the bolt is torqued the engine isn't going anywhere, so this isn't a problem. If you use a hardened washer between the underside of the bolt head and the mount, it won't distort like a regular washer so it will insure the bolt's clamping force is well and stablely transfered into the mount.

Bogie