How much does an automotive tech. make? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My son is a mechanic here in Arizona. He didn't go to school for it, just picked up as he went along. He paid attention to the big boys and learned all he could. He took some Community college classes and after 5 years and about $48,000 in tools, is now the head guy at an independent shop. He gets paid $18 per hour flat rate. He's good, honest, clean and fast. He makes good money. BUT!!! after only 5 years of it, his knees are almost shot as his back and shoulders. He wants out bad and is going to the Phx police dept as an officer asap. Good benifits and retirement.

I was a wrench up until '86. Got out because of wiped knee from climbing up and down the alignment rack 200 times a day.

I went back to my first love, working with wood. It was a hobby while I was wrenching, but now its just a hard *** full time job. In a good year I might clear $25,000 plus what my wife makes as a med tech. We do fine and don't need much. We're each 51 and all 4 vehicles were paid off years ago, house is paid off and its just us 2 and we live modest.

Do what you feel you'll enjoy, money is secondary in my book. I don't make much but we've never been in need either, but I also can pack up the camper anytime I like and hit the road for a few days. If fishing is good, I can go when ever I like. I work from 8 till 3 usually with an hour for lunch. I could make more if I wanted too, but at my age and in this faze of my life, I"m doing fine.

Mark

Wonders-in-Wood.us

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

would you buy a car from a mechanic?

I see house painters with the paint peeling off their house. Carpenters with rotting steps and collapsed balconies. Roofers with leaky roofs.

A mechanic turns wrenches 8 hrs a day. It is a job not an enjoyable hobby. If I don't feel like crawling under a car dripping slush. I don't. He has too. I'll stick to sitting in my warm office with my computer.

Keep your hobby separate. I'm an engineer who builds cars to suit myself. I enjoy it and have the money to do it.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

In the early 80,s I was sent to GM training center in Needham Ma (New England area) For the only reason Gm came out with the CCC (computer command control) and my hobby was electronics and I did all the re wire jobs at our shop (custom jobs) I still have all my tools which I have paid dearly for, I am now an Electrician by trade but still love and study automotive but I will never go back to working on cars for a living other than for myself or friends. Flat rate is great if you have a good service Mng. but if you get the s$%^ jobs it sucks. I make twice as much as my friends that are still are in the trade.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan rodder
Im in California and the guy from Wyotech said a starting auto tech can average around $55K-$70K a year.

Thats just what I heard, Personally for the money it takes to get into a Voc. school im going to let the U.S. Army pay for it.

Boy, is he blowing smoke up your ***! I have been working in this trade pulling wrenches for over 10 years, and I know one guy who makes over 55K, and he is a front end tech, has been for 26 years. The average starting guy will barely get by, once you count in cost of living, vehical repairs, tool payments and tool insurance. You can make decent money, but it takes time, experiance and specialization. As was stated earlier, usually in the areas that no one likes or are afraid of.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, if you like it, go for it. Just don't expect to get rich doing it.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
it all depends on what kind of mind you have. I feel like I've done every type of job on this planet. Worked in a factory, worked on cars, got paid as a musician for a while, scrubbed crappers, food service, health care, and all this on three different continents. I'm not super successful, and I'm not ultra good at any one thing, but I've made a lot of observations along the way. I've seen both folks who make a living of what they really love to do and don't mind working 8, 10 or 12 hour days, and I've seen folks who I ask "if you had it all to do over again, would you have done this?" Most of them say "no" and count the minutes until 5pm and have 0 sick days left at the end of the year. My advice is to do what you feel is right, don't hinder yourself with debt and put your money into mutual funds as soon as you can do it. THe one thing I've seen that makes folks more unhappy than any other thing in this world is debt that makes them tied to a job they don't want to be in. It disables them from going back to school or to adapt their changing lifestyle to do what they love. Life is not the 8 hours a day between sleep and doing what you have to do for somebody else to get paid, its an experience, and the only thing that will keep you from living it the way you want is fear. Fear that you can't make your car, house or boat payment or fear that you're not where "you should be" for your age group. Its all BS, do it your way.

In short, if you want to get involved in the automotive field, find out what it has to offer you. Being a mechanic is not the only way to make money in this field....

K
I agree with Killer. I would love to leave my job and do plan on it in about 1 year. After 20 years working long hours making good money (50k + year) I relized i'm not happy just making money to pay bills and taxes. Do as the man says and stay away from debt it will keep you from living the way you want. That should be what ever makes you happy at the time. I would like to give you one other piece of advise and that is to continue your education every chance you get. What I mean by that is to take classes as you can at the local JR. College or somewhere where you can acrue credits to be used later in life if the auto tech thing doesn't work out . Always have a backup plan because there is no gaurantee in life. It has taken me until the age of 43 to decide to go to school and take classes that I should have been taking all along. I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in if I didn't have the debt and the education to make a move now.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

About 36k to 67k.That is not any 40 hour work weeks.I quiet the dealership in August and opened a shop. I think it was going to be about 48k that last year.I do like what I do.
One thing I would say and it might not be that popular around here.I would go to the most expensive brand that is close to you,BWM,Jag,acura,etc.I made so much more money working on imports than I did at ford.
The more the car cost the more the customer will spend to fix it and the more you will make.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:29 AM

Last journal entry: Dug up some old pics
Last photo:

Well I build engines for a job and it is a passion but i dont think ill get sick of it because its a very rewarding job and your hours on an engine pay off when you see it out the door on the back of the truck all packaged up. I dont know what the pay will be like in years to come, im 18 and earing NZ$9.50 which i wouldnt be able to live off if i wasnt at home I plan to do some work in other countries once ive got my certificates then maybe start a fracnchise business. I have alot of dreams and theres no point makin money for someone else. Make your own money.

Last edited by rocknrodder nz; 04-08-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:09 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

a friend of mine who works at chevy said he made close to 60K last year
Old 04-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

I only like to work on cars to get a benefit out of it, like more power, better ride, better looks, did i mention more power. But i hate fixing it when it breaks. As a auto mechanic, youll mostly be workin on other peoples broken stuff, unless a miracle happens and ya somehow get a job working with Top fuel dragsters for the NHRA or something. I like workin on them but i could NEVER do it for a living. Im 21, went to a tech college, got an associates degree in applied science. I now work for an electrical distribution company building power lines and bringing power to the people. (hope it lasts) Rewarding job making 25 dollars an hour with great benefits. Last year i made 34,000 in 6 months, counting a little overtime from Hurricanes. I still live with my dad, Not married, No girlfriend, No vehicle payments, (though its getting about time to replace my 84 silverado so i can make a hot rod out of it), house payments, credit card bills and anything of the like. Last time i checked i had about 20 grand in my checking account. I dont like to spend money, except when it comes to my camaro, then its a free for all. Always just remember this, THere is a Huge difference between how much money ya make, and how much money ya actually have. Even though i dont make a whole lot of money, im a heck of alot better off than some who make much more money than i do because they have worked themselves into a hole of deap debt that they cant get out of. Just stay out of debt and dont put yourself in a bind.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lthompson
I only like to work on cars to get a benefit out of it, like more power, better ride, better looks, did i mention more power. But i hate fixing it when it breaks. As a auto mechanic, youll mostly be workin on other peoples broken stuff, unless a miracle happens and ya somehow get a job working with Top fuel dragsters for the NHRA or something. I like workin on them but i could NEVER do it for a living. Im 21, went to a tech college, got an associates degree in applied science. I now work for an electrical distribution company building power lines and bringing power to the people. (hope it lasts) Rewarding job making 25 dollars an hour with great benefits. Last year i made 34,000 in 6 months, counting a little overtime from Hurricanes. I still live with my dad, Not married, No girlfriend, No vehicle payments, (though its getting about time to replace my 84 silverado so i can make a hot rod out of it), house payments, credit card bills and anything of the like. Last time i checked i had about 20 grand in my checking account. I dont like to spend money, except when it comes to my camaro, then its a free for all. Always just remember this, THere is a Huge difference between how much money ya make, and how much money ya actually have. Even though i dont make a whole lot of money, im a heck of alot better off than some who make much more money than i do because they have worked themselves into a hole of deap debt that they cant get out of. Just stay out of debt and dont put yourself in a bind.
Sounds like someone is honking there own horn!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

i was just trying to prove a point about the whole debt and money thing. Ya dont have to Make alot of money to Have a decent amount of money. It just comes down to planning and how you spend it. Set a certain amount that you save and dont let your account go below it. For instance, dont let your account get below 1000 dollars, once you get there, you can spend what ya want above that, or you can keep saving and setting higher limits. Find a good job that you do enjoy. I enjoy my job, but it is still a job. Yeah i guess you could say i was honking my own horn a little, but i am kinda proud of my current situation and it just goes to show, that you dont have to go into debt to have what ya want, to me its just not worth going in debt for. If i dont have enough money for it, i dont buy it. Anyway, sorry if it seemed like i was boasting.

Lance
Old 04-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Im gald your doing well. I also do well being a auto technition. Speaking from experiance life doesnt always go as planned. Money cant buy everything and you never know whats gonna happen, one of us could drop dead tommarrow. I like to invest in the important things in life. And money isnt too high on that list. I say do what your best at and can live with doing. Theres no gaurentees in this life except death and taxes of course!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.