How much does it run to get an engine dynoed? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 06:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How much does it run to get an engine dynoed?

Sad complications have caused me to have to most likely abandon my beloved 383 project.

So ebay here I come.

Anyway, I thought with all the BS out there about engine hp #s, it would be cool if I could sell my engine with actual engine dyno sheets.

What price range am I looking at for having the engine dynoed?

-Erik

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2003, 07:02 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Most of the price to add into the selling, is the cost of parts and machine work.
Don't forget most crate motors are cheaper than a built one and should be considered.
If I was to buy a motor, the first I would do is to drop the oil pan to take a good look at the bearings, crank and up in the bore.
Then the heads.
LOL
Old 11-24-2003, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

"Most of the price to add into the selling, is the cost of parts and machine work. "

Of course. Only there's so many shady machine shops who can't spell or correctly assemble engines selling 350/ 475 HP!!!!! FAST!!!! BUY NOW!!!! engines on ebay, that they drag the prices down for everyone else too.

So I was thinking that by being real upfront, explaining why I'm selling it (frame of my car is broken), scanning receipts, and including real power #s, I could get a fairer price for it.

Don't get me wrong. The dyno sheets are going to cost the buyer extra in the price, but they can feel more secure in bidding on it.

"Don't forget most crate motors are cheaper than a built one and should be considered. "

Actually I don't think there's any crate motor out there that's less $ for more power than what I'd be selling. I would have gladly bought an engine with this much power for the price I'm going to have to sacrifice it for. In fact, that's the reason I had it built, I couldn't get as much power as I wanted without spending an arm and leg! (in contrast, I only had to give an arm to build this )

"If I was to buy a motor, the first I would do is to drop the oil pan to take a good look at the bearings, crank and up in the bore."

I could do that. I was planning on having photos of it in just about every way and from every angle so someone buying it would really know what they were going to get.

"Then the heads.
LOL"

Being that I haven't fired it yet and it's still on an engine stand, that's a possibility.

So anyone? How much to get the engine dynoed? I know I'll need a few pulls, changing the jetting, etc. $200? $500? $700? One jillion?

-Erik
Old 11-24-2003, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Most shops for an engine stand dyno are $350 to $500
per day plus fuel and labor for any tuning by the shop.

Cstraub
Old 11-24-2003, 09:53 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Take a look in the National Dragster or on NHRA.com and look for a race engine builder near your home. They will do it at a standard rate. They all very in price.
Do a web search on dyno's in your area, you should be able to find one.
You are doing it correctly in order to sell it. LOL
Old 11-24-2003, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Dyno

The cost of a good dyno will vary on the amount of work needed or wanted. It is no fix number. I had my Alfa dynoed with dual carbs. They needed re-jetting. The distributer needed recurved. The dyno cost 250. The work 500.

I had my 383 done in my el camino. Because I had them do the work they reduced the price to 200. But again the carbs where rejetted to sea level and the distributer was curved to match the type of gas I was running.

Basic cost. $200
Extras $ A lot more.

Thom
Old 11-25-2003, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the general ballpark figures, guys. I'll check at a few places. Just wanted to know a little bit what to expect.

-Erik

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.