how much is enough? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2002, 09:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post how much is enough?

I plan on rebuilding yet another chev 350 this summer and would like to know how much horse power/torque i could make with about $2500.
I believe the engine is a 4 bolt main a I plan to use a cam carb and intake that i already have. cam is a .460/.480, intake is an edelbrock spread bore performer and carb is a mechanical secondary holley 750. Anyone have suggestions for the rest?
Let me know what you think, thanks in advance.
79monte

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2002, 05:27 PM

Need more info on the cam. Duration @ .050"? Lobe separation angle?
Old 03-25-2002, 12:56 PM

Here ya go, It took me a while to find the cam. I was thinking 1.6 ratio roller rockers and headers, what perts would you suggest. Thanks,
79monte
Specifications:
* Advertised duration: 282 intake/292 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 224 intake/234
exhaust
* Gross valve lift: .465 in. intake/.488 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 114 degrees
* RPM range: 2,200 to 5,700
Old 03-25-2002, 03:26 PM

Those lift figures will be higher with 1.6 rockers.

I recommend a tighter lobe separation angle, like 110 or 112 degrees. A tighter angle will make for better midrange, and make the engine rev quicker.

Sppend about 1000 of those 2500 bucks on cylinder heads, and with the right valvetrain, you won't have any problems making 400 HP.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:05 PM

Cool

Reddwarf's right- cylinder head along with a matched cam is the key to power! NastyNova recomended Aerohead racing heads in a previous post.

[quote] Hey there, partner. Try Aerohead Racing heads for your build-up. They are only $400 for the pair and work on my stock .030 over 350 short block like a champ (specs: 64cc chambers//.560 lift capacity//2.02--1.60 valves//3 angle valve job//compression with stock flat-top pistons is approx. 10.0-1). I'm using a Herbert Performance solid lift cam and lifters (cost: $126//specs: 2500-7000 rpm range//.520-.521 lift//.280-.290 duration advertised//.240-.250 duration at .050). <hr></blockquote>

the compression with flat tops would be around 10:1 to 10.25:1 that would mean only premium fuel! If you go with dished pistons then you could get lower compression and less chance of detonation.
Just remember the more power the stronger the internal componets have to be. stock rods might not cutit if you start pushing 425+ hp.
I would go with forged pistons if you ever plan on doing anything else to the engine to add more power N2O, blower, ect.!

go to this site and read the past articals about a 350 build up! it was intresting and informitive!
<a href="http://www.chevyhiperformance.com" target="_blank">http://www.chevyhiperformance.com</a>
Old 03-27-2002, 10:17 AM

I'm running a built 351W that is very close to what you describe...but I spent the extra bucks on heads and have been very pleased. I also have about $2500 in it. I went with a little smaller lift cam...that mistake will remedied this summer...and a 625 Carter AFB. The engine runs very strong. It has KB pistons that make about 10.5:1 compression...and runs great on 87 octane pump gas.

It's not much of a "HotRod"...but this motor yanks around my Ford Ranger (3100lbs) plenty good! ;-) 14.0's with 3.23 rear and tire spin.

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Dan B. ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.