How much $ for good body work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2003, 08:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post How much $ for good body work

I know that there would be alot of variables to this questions but I'll try and give as much info as I can. I have a 72 Monte Carlo with vinyl top, from a scale from 1-10 in over all condition I would say a 7. Trunk pan ,floor pans and most sheet metal in very good or workable shape. The big problems, under the vinyl left lower rear of rear window rust bubbles. Both rear quarters just above the wheel well chrome about 1 inch above rust bubbles. Right front lower between door and back of front tire quarter size rust threw due to AC drain. What I have purchased so far are both quarter skins a piece of replacement metal that goes between the rear window and trunk the with of the window and has the window channel formed in It{not sure of the proper wordage for this piece}. Looking to have the top removed, rear window out, quarters removed and new parts installed, body work done and primered ready for paint. I by far am not a body and paint guy just a motor head, just don't want to be takin advantage of. Any ball park figure on this kind of service would be appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 11:28 AM

Hi Ray, There are guys on this site with a lot more knowledge on this than I, and I'm sure they'll weigh in on this too. I can tell you that my experience has been that shops around me go on a time and materials basis with restoration work. They won't be nailed down to an estimate because these things have a way of getting worse than first imagined. In my area the time is worth from $45 to $65 per hour and it adds up fast. I hate to rain on your parade but that's reality. The amount you're willing to invest depends on how important the project is to you.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Bada31 is correct. Bodyshops will base it on an hourly fee plus the cost of materials. From the sound of your car from 1-10 its probably 4-5, not a 7. Repairing quarters, rust under the vinyl top, repaint and a new top will probably run you a couple grand. Just the panels welded in and the body smmoothed and primed/sealed depending on the shop, some shops won't do it unless they finish the job. Its a quality of work problem.

HK
Old 04-11-2003, 02:49 PM

In my area of the East Coast the going rate for body work runs between $48 to $70 per hour. I agree with HK your car probably is not a 7. My estimate, if the car was done in a shop such as where I work, would probably end up around 6 to 7 thousand dollars.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:59 PM

Thanks Bad and hall for your input. 6 or 7 thou, crack kills bud.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:19 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

6-7 grand is not an unreal figure depending on who does it. Notice he said " If the car was done in a shop such as where I work"

My brother has done paint jobs that cost over five grand! It all depends on the shop doing the work. I would say a couple grand would be a bargain.

[ April 11, 2003: Message edited by: BstMech ]</p>
Old 04-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Ray, 6-7 grand is probably what it will be. Just think, $60 an hour adds up when the job will take probably two weeks to finish for a moderatly busy shop. You get a top notch shop to do it and addd another 3 thousand to that just because they are busy and the best shop. The top shop here in town that is the only shop I would recomend to anyone will cost you probably double that. He is an amazing craftman and the only person within 100 miles I would even consider touching anything of mine and I would happily pay double that if I couldn't do it myself.

HK
Old 04-12-2003, 05:05 AM

Hi guys, thanks again for your responses. Sorry If I got out of line some. I go to alot of these big car shows up and down the east coast and you guys are right, It's not unusual to hear of some astronomical figures but they are some beautiful cars. Some times because of this being a written forum I have a hard time stating what I'm really looking for without draging It out. I've been out of the automotive wrench turning business{Dealerships} for 14 yrs now. Decided I wanted to do It for a hobby and not a living so I do understand the mark up game. For example I've even quit doing brake jobs, tune ups, tranny swaps things like that for few people to make extra $ and cause I enjoy It. I now have found out I'd rather build engines in my garage and have pretty good success with that so far. Reason being It is much cheaper for you to have me build your engine than a $65 an hour shop, and yes you will get the same quality that they give you. I've gotten around to probably 5 body shops and they all tell me the same thing, they rather do Insurance jobs and would not even consider a job like mine. So I guess I was looking for the body man version of me, not saying he or she would not be worth that $65 plus an hour but lets get real. Add 3 grand just cause. I'd rather deal with the guy who's at home In his spare time trying to put his kids threw college. Hope this helps clear up the labor cost I was looking for. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:56 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Ray... one thing to think about is the rust. Many body shops, and I'll probably get screamed at about this, are not real craftsmen. They would rather do insurance repairs because they are easier and better money. A real craftsman has to worry about his reputation and the job holding up. They may not physically sign their work, but it is known who did it. Most shops around here have a big sign that says something about no warranty on rust repair. Would you shop around for a doctor that charges less, or want one that does the job right? Also with rust repair, there are always places that show up once the known damaged areas are removed. Some shops will only replace what is seen. You will then see them again. What you are talking about is basically making that car like new, or probably better, if they are real craftsmen. I did one a few years ago for a friend. Matching up the body lines alone was a major project. A craftsman will really worry about that. Many bodymen won't. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

There are shops everywhere that do the same thing though I have never seen a sign saying that they won't do rust repair. I have been told that shops are too busy to worry about jobs like restorations. I guess the money is in insurance claims.

bonuts
Old 04-15-2003, 09:29 PM

Rad Ray I feel ya brother....Ive done resto work in my garage for years ..I cant count the number of quarters Ive installed a realistic price for what you want is around 500 for each quarter another 250 for the panel below the back glass 100 each for the front fender work and if your rust under the vinyl top is what is normaly found when you see the tell tell bubbles around the bottom your probably looking at around another 200 to 300 hundred...the body work is another story, I couldnt begin to give you a price on that without seeing the car. things to keep in mind...when you see those rust holes around the quarters it usally means that there are holes in the outer wheelhousings as well...and thats another 150 a piece...thats about the going rate from a guy like me doing the work....I have friends that work in shops that charge a whole lot more but you have to remember the overhead that a shop has.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:22 PM

Kiaser Knife, thank you that's exactly what I was looking for and your ball park figure sounds resonable to me. Thanks again.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.