Hot Rod Forum banner

how much hardener?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  5.0Towncar 
#1 ·
I am new to doing bodywork and I am having a hard time getting the right amount of hardener in the filler that I am using. It will either be unusable after about 5 minutes, or it is still soft after 24hrs...also what temp shoud I be working in. Any help would be great.

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: bnesbitt45 ]

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: bnesbitt45 ]</p>

#2 ·
Setting time isn't very adjustable. The resin usd in body putty is pretty hot on purpose, so you can begin working it quickly. Production body repair shops must have it that way. You need to learn to mix the amount you can use in 5 minutes. The amount of hardner it takes to harden in 5 minutes is the proper amount.

#4 ·
Scrape it off, theres no other way that I know of. Willys is correct, after adding the hardner to filler it should be ready to work within 3-5 minutes. Usually the rules of thumb is a thin ribbon across the top of the filler. Don't mix more than you need in one preticular spot unless your very fast and have learned over the years to park your butt on a chair with wheels and wheel to the next filler spot within a several seconds. You'll get the hang of it. One more thing, the filler after mixing should not be the same rich color as the hardner (blue or red) it should be a pale version of the hardner. If the filler is "hot" you have to much hardner.

HK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.