Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much horsepower can a stock rotating assembly handle
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by allansmith859 View Post
I have a sbc 350 I plan on building for street/strip project. I am taking it to my machine shop to get it re done. (.030) I plan on using STOCK GM PARTS for my rotating assembly. (crank, rods, bearings, pistons, ect). How much HP/TQ can these parts withstand so I know what my options are when i get my top end?? (cam, heads, intake, carb, exhaust). I will use ARP bolts.
I think this is a two part question.Playing it conservative with a cast crank 400hp no problem,500hp still limited risk,but that is going to come down to the power curve and if you start hooking the car hard,the car's wt,rpm range,etc.

The second part of the question I think comes down to the SCR/DCR and today's gas if you planning for iron heads or are going to elect for aftermarket aluminum heads and then cam selection.

Apart of the machine work aside from a over bore "could" include decking the block and if you do so that could be 0 deck or .010 down.At the very least you should have the machine shop check the deck to be sure it is flat.

These days compression dictates cam choices,head selection,even exhaust which needs to include consideration for trans gearing or trans choices, rear end gear ratios,and tire size.You want to tailor you power curve so you right at the beginning of it off idle or shortly there after for a street driven car.Those loopy idle's sound kewl,but don't do much for you when the cam starts to come in at like 3,500/4,000 rpm.

The catch 22 is the physics is relativity smaller c.i. engines do produce their power band at a higher rpm band.So that development of a power band would be higher with a 350/355 vs a 383 which would be at a lower rpm range.

So the msg here is for you to plan out your build in the big picture.Don't plan on nitrous big shots with a stock bottom end.

Hope this helps.