Hot Rod Forum banner

How much horsepower can a stock rotating assembly handle

26K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  mike lost in cars 
#1 ·
How much horsepower can a stock rotating assembly handle?

Thanks

#35 ·
I would be buying a new rotating assembly for this. But everything would be stock replacement parts except if I have to go .030 over then I will have to get bigger pistons. Jegs sell a scat rotating assembly thats around 500 to 600 dollars and thats probably the route ill go. Just trying to build a good strong engine. Its not a race engine. I guess I dont even need to put the max HP that these parts would handle but 450 does sound very good to me. That would be perfect. I appreciate everyones advise even if it seems like I dont. I have tore down alot of sbc by myself and learned how to do it by myself with none to teach me anything. But those were just stock rebuild using the same parts i took off. Just putting on new bearings and gaskets. I am still young and I am trying to get to where you all are when it comes to building a good performance engine. I really am not trying to be a pain in the ***.

Thank you guys for your input

#37 ·
Back to the OP original ask, I cant possibly be part of the current scientific equation currently being beat to death.

Put a 150HP NOS shot on a 68 307 once. so thats 180HP + 150HP = too much HP. Ran it once with a full bottle and a bush leage fuel supply to the solenoids to most likely 7000+RPM at which time it blew itself through the hood of the 68 belair,,,my mom was pissed right off,,,she liked that car.

#39 ·
hi you are correct they are making it harder than it is if your 350 is from a late 90's truck and you just want to put a turbo or super charger or nos about 400hp should be ok but keep in mind as some one said the rpm's could kill keep your self under 5k rpm great but max it out 6k you will blow the stock motor fast i made a twin turbo kit on a 85 camaro 350 fully stock got 523 hp used it for almost 4 years and sold it still running but i never let it go over 5,250 rpm i hope this helps you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.