Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much horsepower you think she'll make.
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 PM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The whole turbo thing is new to me also. There is definitely science involved in selecting one and I should have spent more time researching. There are so many different variations and types of turbos, it makes your head hurt. I selected mine based on a horsepower level I wanted and input from a Garrett technician. That was two years ago and I've learned more since then and would probably do it differently now. The exhaust side of the turbos I'm using have a T3 mount witch is a smaller housing and should give quick spool up but, they will probably be restrictive at higher rpm. If I had to do it again I would use a turbo with a T4 housing and then I'd have room to grow, not that I need it, with 600 to 700 horsepower and a manual trans the rambler should be a handful.
As far as motor parts, you build like you would for any high horse application. The cams in turbo motors are pretty mild so it won't have that nice choppy idle I like but, It will be way more practical, at that horsepower level than a normally aspirated motor. With the 6 speed overdrive trans, it should get decent gas mileage as well...gonna need that, the way gas is rising