how much hp does a 3/4 in cam add. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 11:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

how much hp does a 3/4 in cam add.

I have a 289 withHyper electric flat top pistons with vavle release, 289 crsnk turned .030, rods resized with arp bolts, arp main bolts, melling high volume oil pump, arp oil pump shaft, comp cams 271 h.p. solid lifter cam kit, clowers double roller timing set, 65 heads with stainless 1.90-.160 valves, comp screw in studs and guide plates, double valve springs, roller tip rockers with locks, hardened push rods, intake and exhaust ports gasket matched, arp head bolts, felpro gasket set, 289 torker intake, 725 demon carb, ford dura spark ingnition, ford motorsport aluminum valve covers, flowtech headers, thrush mufflers, mr. Gasket aircleaner and oil breather. Im tryin to get a guess to how much power i have n what size carburetor i need to replace the screamin demon with. I was thinkin a 650

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

With the combination of parts you have the Demon should be just fine,why are you wanting to replace it? Maybe you should read this:Demon Fuel Systems - Tuning Tips & Troubleshooting also take advantage of the Tech Support.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Even with manufacturer names murdered, clowers vs. Cloyes, etc., and assuming hyper electric pistons are hypereutectic pistons, or 65 heads, maybe 65cc combustion chambers?

We need accurate specs to even come near estimated power, it appears you're not sure what you have. Can you elaborate?

BTW, are you sure the crank is -.030?? That's a bunch.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 12-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
Even with manufacturer names murdered, clowers vs. Cloyes, etc., and assuming hyper electric pistons are hypereutectic pistons, we don't know what a Comp Cams "271 hp" cam is at all, or 65 heads, maybe 65cc combustion chambers?

We need accurate specs to even come near estimated power, it appears you're not sure what you have. Can you elaborate?

BTW, are you sure the crank is -.030?? That's a bunch.
my guess is
65 heads.. year
271 hp cam. would be a copy of the ford r code 271hp 289
Old 12-16-2013, 04:16 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

? We're GUESSING now?

The message I have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. LOL

Jester
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
? We're GUESSING now?

The message I have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. LOL

Jester
well as seen as fords hp for a 65 289 was 271..
it's a good chance.. and maybe the o/p will reply with better info..
if it was a random bunch of numbers, then well. but the 65 and 271 are numbers used by ford for a 289.. used here by chance.. maybe but doubtfull..
you got a better idea..on it..
Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
well as seen as fords hp for a 65 289 was 271..
it's a good chance.. and maybe the o/p will reply with better info..
if it was a random bunch of numbers, then well. but the 65 and 271 are numbers used by ford for a 289.. used here by chance.. maybe but doubtfull..
you got a better idea..on it..
LOL you don't have to explain your guess to me LOL My post was an in general comment on this thread! Till the O.P. comes back on and clarifies his build!! everyone will be taking shots in the dark as posted by 68NovaSS

LOL Jester
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I'm guessing 17hp. Is their a prize for the closest guess?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

electric flat top pistons with vavle release and a 3/4 inch cam.
Thank you Josiah, you have made my day.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
68NovaSS (12-16-2013), AutoGear (12-16-2013), BOBCRMAN@aol.com (12-16-2013), GoFastStripes (12-23-2013), SPEED MASTERS CC (12-16-2013), tapkoote (12-23-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:20 AM

You are quite right tht i dont know what i have. I inherited this truck from my dad who died last month n im trying to figure out what i have n what i need to do if nething. All i have to go on is this list tht he had tht i posted. When i get on the gas it bogs down n trys to die n i was told it was the carburetor. Just want to get it runnin n restored the way he wulda wanted. Ne help or advice wuld b much appreciated.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiah View Post
You are quite right tht i dont know what i have. I inherited this truck from my dad who died last month n im trying to figure out what i have n what i need to do if nething. All i have to go on is this list tht he had tht i posted. When i get on the gas it bogs down n trys to die n i was told it was the carburetor. Just want to get it runnin n restored the way he wulda wanted. Ne help or advice wuld b much appreciated.
That's a tragic story.

He'd probably be more proud if you learned to read and write though. Do that and engines (and everything else) will be a lot easier for you to understand.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

I would suggest a full tune up before doin much of anything.Getting timing & carb correct afterwards.Those 3/4 cams are hard to predict HP on.Back in high skool everybody had a 3/4 cam & 750 double pumper,& headers.HP ratings were anywhere from 400 to 600,depending on who's vehicle this combo was installed in.When you ask what the lift or duration on that 3/4 cam wuz,you only got funny looks.Nobody wanted to tell their secret grind.
The Following User Says Thank You to jokerZ71 For This Useful Post:
Buick b4 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Thank u joker i really appreciate it. Thts some advice i was lookin for.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiah View Post
I have a 289 withHyper electric flat top pistons with vavle release, 289 crsnk turned .030, rods resized with arp bolts, arp main bolts, melling high volume oil pump, arp oil pump shaft, comp cams 271 h.p. solid lifter cam kit, clowers double roller timing set, 65 heads with stainless 1.90-.160 valves, comp screw in studs and guide plates, double valve springs, roller tip rockers with locks, hardened push rods, intake and exhaust ports gasket matched, arp head bolts, felpro gasket set, 289 torker intake, 725 demon carb, ford dura spark ingnition, ford motorsport aluminum valve covers, flowtech headers, thrush mufflers, mr. Gasket aircleaner and oil breather. Im tryin to get a guess to how much power i have n what size carburetor i need to replace the screamin demon with. I was thinkin a 650
The 289 is not a really big engine so even a moderate performance cam and smaller 4 barrel are very effective at producing power. The thing will wind well into the 6000 RPM range with the factory 271 horse cam. You'll fine the advertised power was pretty honest. The valve size that is in your heads of 1.9 by 1.6 will tend to push the power curve further up the RPM range. The bigger valves and the cam will make this engine difficult to tune under 2500 RPM, it will want some gears in the rear end and a high stall converter if attached to an automatic transmission. A carb of 600 to 650 CFM will be plenty. The Ford intake is the real bottle neck, to push into power levels around 300 this will need a good aluminum high rise intake.

The high performance 289 and 302 were known to be piston eaters, even with forgings they would bust skirts pretty easily when you pushed power up to the redline. Hyper-eutectic pistons if set up on the tight side of skirt clearance will probably be OK, but if the bore to piston clearance is on the wide side, the rather brittle nature of these super high silicon alloy pistons may fail the skirts. This can also be a problem if the cylinder bores are punched more than .030 inch; this is a thin wall block, if the cylinder wall thickness is too thin they will move away from the piston when loads are applied which makes the skirt to wall clearance act as if it is wider than when measured statically during build up in the shop. So just try to stay out of RPMs above 6000 to preserve a long life for the engine.

Bogie
Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 PM

Awesome!! I really appreciate it bogie.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.