Hot Rod Forum banner

How much hp with these changes to my SBC?

925 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  v8hed 
#1 ·
Currently running 76cc GM iron heads (462624 casting) with H618CP domed pistons and Performer RPM cam. Current CR is 9.38:1 and quench area is 0.063". Heads are currently off and I'm considering one of the following options...

#1 Mill heads (just to be sure they're 100% flat) and install Felpro 1094 gaskets (0.015" compressed). New CR will be 9.9:1 and quench area will be 0.040"

#2 Replace heads with Edelbrock Performer RPM with 70cc chambers and install with Felpro 1094 gaskets. New CR would be 10.7:1 and quench area would be 0.040"

How much extra do you think I'd gain with both options. New heads aren't cheap, so I don't want to go that route if the gain is going to be relatively small. From the very helpful folks on here, I now know that newer/better heads like Vortecs or the newer Dart heads aren't suitable for my application due to heart/kidney-shaped chambers and my domed pistons.

Thanks,
Ian.

#5 ·
Edelbrock heads are truly underrated. They make good power for the dough. AFR's are beautiful heads but I doubt you'll notice a lot of difference on the street and you'll save $500 bucks. The heads I would get if I had the dough right now are the Bowtie Vortec 180 cc heads. Or the Edelbrock E-tecs. All of the aftermarket heads are good and on street engine probably within 10 HP of each other. Pick the brand you like.

#6 ·
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this (be gentle), but I've decided to keep my existing heads. Just gonna bump the CR and quench up a bit with the 1094 gaskets. Yes, Edelbrock heads would prob give me +30hp or so, but they're also $1,600 over here and the car is quick enough as it is for the street (esp. as it only weighs ~2,400lbs). After talking to the orig. engine builder, if I decide that I need more power, I'll pull the engine (or buy a cut-out) and build it from scratch with a full roller valvetrain, I or H-beam rods, etc.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Cheers,
Ian.

#8 ·
xxllmm4 said:
Be carefully before you make up your mind to quickly. If I remember right they are some of the most crack prone heads Chevy ever made. I don't know if I would spend any money on them.

Jordon
I'm not spending any money on them (other than just a few $$ to get them milled). If they crack, I'll upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.